Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

A clear acknowledgement by the Minister that the WRC is dead in the water. He's effectively cleared the way for a section of the route to be leased to a private operator to run a business on.
    What is certain is that a fairly long lease will be needed, at least ten years, so that the company operating the velo-rail can get finance. A bank won't look at them otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

eastwest wrote: »
    A clear acknowledgement by the Minister that the WRC is dead in the water. He's effectively cleared the way for a section of the route to be leased to a private operator to run a business on.
    What is certain is that a fairly long lease will be needed, at least ten years, so that the company operating the velo-rail can get finance. A bank won't look at them otherwise.

Well, it's hardly going need a huge investment - a bit of weedkiller, a few secondhand sleepers and some relatively simple vehicles that could be built locally.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Well, it's hardly going need a huge investment - a bit of weedkiller, a few secondhand sleepers and some relatively simple vehicles that could be built locally.
    Not a chance it will be done that way. Health and safety standards won't allow the rail to be used for leisure traffic unless it meets certain standards. Likewise the carts, they'll have to buy ones that are properly designed including safety testing; these things are capable of decent speeds if they are pushed along by a couple of people, and remember that there will be up to twenty or more carts on the line at any one time, so the potential for whiplash or other collision injury is always a consideration. Insurance companies won't cover this operation unless it meets best standards, including a safety track alongside for emergency access.
    The rail line itself will also have to be signed off by an engineering company as being safe for use for this business, which will involve remedial works.
    Trust me, given these litigious times, as well as the laws around health and safety for customers and staff, the money given by Michael Ring's department is just seed funding.

Muckyboots wrote: »
    Honestly? Is it genuinely viable as a business? Would you get €30K on Dragons Den for 10% ? Would Michael Ring put €180,000 of his own money into this idea? For Greenway advocates it's good news and breaks the ice. It will send West on Track back to the drawing boards with a brand new "join the dots" sheet. But for taxpayers, really?

It doesn't have to be viable, it just has to meet two criteria.
    1. It blocks the greenway on this section and keeps a stretch or rail in place for symbolic reasons.
    2. It stops local people using the line as a walking route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Del.Monte wrote: »

Plus they will have to replace all the rails that got robbed by a local Kiltimagh 'entrepreneur' a few years back ;).

This could be a good idea to boost tourism in the local area, I was on a velo-rail in France on holidays recently and they are good fun for the family. Equipment standards were high and there was a path running alongside the railway for the entire distance so it could be cycled or walked as well.

Extending a cycling/walking greenway at either end towards Claremorris, Swinford and onwards would offer even more tourism benefits.

• Advertisement

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Plus they will have to replace all the rails that got robbed by a local Kiltimagh 'entrepreneur' a few years back ;).

This could be a good idea to boost tourism in the local area, I was on a velo-rail in France on holidays recently and they are good fun for the family. Equipment standards were high and there was a path running alongside the railway for the entire distance so it could be cycled or walked as well.

Extending a cycling/walking greenway at either end towards Claremorris, Swinford and onwards would offer even more tourism benefits.
    It's logical to put in a path alongside, and extend it to at least connect with the charlestown to Enniskillen greenway, but remember that this project is essentially a blocker so any proposal for a greenway beside it won't go down too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

MFS have you any photos showing the path alongside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

If Haggling John Halligan is anything to go by, Sean Canney's request for an "independent assessment" for the WRC will be another nod nod, wink wink, make it say as I say...or else, episode !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

westtip wrote: »
    MFS have you any photos showing the path alongside?

This is the place: http://www.mayenne-tourisme.com/en/Activities/Activities-for-thrill-seekers/Rail-bike. The velo-railers seem to be getting along just fine with the cyclists (you can even put your bike up on the little carriage).

Even mentions a number of hiking trails starting from where the velo-rail is based. Similar location to Kiltimagh, quite rural but a nice area with plenty of heritage spots worth a visit.

I believe that this could be the thin end of the wedge that might finally convince people in Mayo about the tourism opportunities and health benefits accruing from velo-rail and greenways (perhaps inadvertently by the initiators of this project), with minimal investment compared to a re-build of the WRC. I pass through Kiltimagh every day and they did a nice job a few years back in preserving the old station house and the platforms, but it's attracting very few visitors at the moment.

If Haggling John Halligan is anything to go by, Sean Canney's request for an "independent assessment" for the WRC will be another nod nod, wink wink, make it say as I say...or else, episode !
    Didn't like the review, wants another one. Anything to get him as far as the next election.
    Same with Canney, as long as they can keep rolling it over. He doesn't care any more about the train than colm McCarthy, it's all about the rollover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Honestly? Is it genuinely viable as a business? Would you get €30K on Dragons Den for 10% ? Would Michael Ring put €180,000 of his own money into this idea? For Greenway advocates it's good news and breaks the ice. It will send West on Track back to the drawing boards with a brand new "join the dots" sheet. But for taxpayers, really?

Yes honestly.

I've no problem with it, because there is no excuse to not put a greenway alongside it in some capacity. Thats a fight for the Greenway campaigners. I understand completely that retaining the rotten track is paramount in terms of symbolism to a small minority. No matter what, no trains will ever run on that line anyway. If the numpty's that believe trains will run again on that line, think using the rotten track blocks a greenway, so be it. It's all very laughable at this stage anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

http://www.wexfordpeople.ie/news/greenway-route-coming-down-the-track-for-county-35004804.html

Rosslare to Waterford Rail line is only out of use for five years and talks of converting it into a Greenway already.
    Great news!
    Hope it gets the go ahead, it would be a great amenity for the area and would be great for tourism.
    That and it would be a lot safer for cyclists than twisty back roads.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Yes honestly.

I've no problem with it, because there is no excuse to not put a greenway alongside it in some capacity. Thats a fight for the Greenway campaigners. I understand completely that retaining the rotten track is paramount in terms of symbolism to a small minority. No matter what, no trains will ever run on that line anyway. If the numpty's that believe trains will run again on that line, think using the rotten track blocks a greenway, so be it. It's all very laughable at this stage anyway.

It suits the tourism business in West Mayo to keep it that way too, and those are clearly the voices that are listened to in cabinet, given the current representation. Keeping all cycling tourism in Westport is politically more acceptable in the backyard of some politicians than doing anything about Kiltimagh.
    The velo project is essentially a sop to Kiltimagh to shut them up, even though its value will be limited (apart from stopping the dreaded greenway and the jobs it would bring).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Great news!
    Hope it gets the go ahead, it would be a great amenity for the area and would be great for tourism.
    That and it would be a lot safer for cyclists than twisty back roads.
    Rosslare to Waterford Rail line is only out of use for five years and talks of converting it into a Greenway already.

its not out of use actually , it has inspection trains and weedsprayer trains running at present and the Belview end is in constant use

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

http://irishcycle.com/2016/09/15/a-wee-little-greenway-to-link-derry-to-donegal-with-eu-funding/
    "
    Funding in the region of €12 to €14 million is expected to be soon officially confirmed for the Wee Greenway, linking parts of Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland together with safe and attractive routes for cycling and walking.
    ..........."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

He was from Kilkelly actually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Consonata

Did anybody hear Leo Varadker today on the radio talking about the values of the WRC :rolleyes: and he isn't even Transport Minister anymore!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Consonata wrote: »
    Did anybody hear Leo Varadker today on the radio talking about the values of the WRC :rolleyes: and he isn't even Transport Minister anymore!
    Look on the bright side - no need to pay for maintenance on a toilet to flush wads of cash down when the WRC already fulfills that role.

Consonata wrote: »

What did he say about it? Surely he hasn't U-turned and decided that it would be a great way to hoover up everything in the fiscal space?
    I can just see the headlines on budget day; 'Noonan decides to retain USC to spend on a railway for six OAPs, and Sean Canney.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Derry City Council - the people who destroyed the Foyle Valley Railway https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foyle_Valley_Railway . Watch them wreck the cycleway too. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

a pox on all Councils

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The Deise Greenway has opened from Kilmacthomas to Dungarvan

This gem of a post from the waterford city forum caught my eye :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I know it's probably the wrong thread, but I'll shoot anyway.

Anyone have any idea what this really old navy train is, on the Dublin Westport line. Often see it pulled up at train stations. It's fairly long, very old, and seems to have people on board. Some kind of tour?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I know it's probably the wrong thread, but I'll shoot anyway.

Anyone have any idea what this really old navy train is, on the Dublin Westport line. Often see it pulled up at train stations. It's fairly long, very old, and seems to have people on board. Some kind of tour?

its the Belmond Grand Hibernian, a luxury touring train with sleeping carriages made up of ex Irish Rail Mk3s

http://www.belmond.com/grand-hibernian-train/

You need some serious money to go on it, nearly €8000 for 7 days :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

You need some serious money to go on it, nearly €8000 for 7 days :eek:

Well you could try this one, €4999 for 8 days :p

https://railtoursireland.com/railcruiseandcastletour

Well you could try this one, €4999 for 8 days :p

https://railtoursireland.com/railcruiseandcastletour

Wonder what they say when they get off in Claremorris for a walkabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

too pissed on complimentary drinks to care.

• Advertisement

Get me outa here! There's no scenery!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement