Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

Muckyboots wrote: »
    For your delectation "Residents in one part of Galway have voiced their opposition to a stretch of the Galway-Dublin Greenway going through their area because it would assist criminals. The opposition centres on the proposed route from Roscam to Renmore, a short stretch of about 5km to the east of Galway City. And at a meeting of local residents in recent days a councillor from the area said he was opposed to “fat cat” consultants and managers forcing the project through. Local man John Grealish, who chaired the meeting, said there were real fears that the Greenway – a cycling route across the country – would bring crime into the area. Specifically he said the Greenway would expose the backs of properties to passers-by, adding burglars on motorbikes could escape down the cycle route after carrying out their crimes. “The area is a peninsula and one of the benefits of that is that there is only one way in and one way out,” he said in remarks reported by the Connacht Tribune. “This proposed route will expose the back of private property to people who could escape on motorbikes on the cycleway – and we are only two kilometres from the motorway so we are very open. “There is one man that the route is so close to the back of his house, he could hand tea through the window to people passing.” He insisted he was not opposed to the project, rather the project’s current proposed route. “There is already a proposal that they are going to run a pathway from the city out to Curragreen, but a footpath; why couldn’t a cycleway be included?
    “Farmers have indicated that of a small amount of land had to be taken for this, they wouldn’t mind. The issue here is splitting land in two.” The Greenway, which would run to 277km, has already hit a variety of problems. The western section of the route was halted last year by then minister for transport Paschal Donohoe after complaints by farming organisations and a perceived lack of consultation with people living along the route. Galway City Councillor Mike Crowe said he would be requesting the council take the Roscam to Renmore proposed Greenway route out of the ‘city development plan’ amid complaints locals had not been consulted.
    And once that was done local stakeholders should be given the opportunity to make their views known to the National Transport Authority. His view was supported by four other councillors at this week’s meeting. “This community.. will not stand idly by while fat cat consultants and senior officials try to drive a coach and four through our community with little or no regard for the effect on the residents and the environs,” said Cllr Crowe. He also believed the proposed route would take longer than of the Greenway ran along the Coast Road out of the city. “It’s grand on a July afternoon if you’re a tourist out for a cycle,” he said. “Other than that, it just doesn’t make sense.” “We… have an opportunity to remove this madness from it and send a message to these officials that we do not support this route.” Courtesy of http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/locals-oppose-277km-irish-cycle-route-because-burglars-might-use-it ( and for the benefit of the mods, similar soundings are being expressed by Western Rail Trail WRC objectors- a sure sign we are making real progress !).
    You'd be amazed how many tons of scrap metal you can tie to a crossbar.
    We'd want to watch for that in Tuam too. There won't be a bit of lead left on a roof between here and Dunmore once the western rail trail opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

“fat cat” consultants and managers.

surely "jackeens" would quicker to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

loyatemu wrote: »
    surely "jackeens" would quicker to say.

" burglars on motorbikes " - also Jackeens. Build a wall ?

Looks like they're on it in Tuam already...
    https://www.facebook.com/Offdarails/photos/a.361846504163885.1073741828.361222657559603/370123620002840/?type=3&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

eastwest wrote: »
    You'd be amazed how many tons of scrap metal you can tie to a crossbar.
    We'd want to watch for that in Tuam too. There won't be a bit of lead left on a roof between here and Dunmore once the western rail trail opens.

Not to mention 7 foot flatscreen TVs in the back wheel paniers. It just gets worse doesn't it.

• Advertisement

Reminds me of the story about a man who worked at a factory that used mercury in one of their processes.
    He decided to fill the frame of his bike with it, but got caught when he tried to peddle out the factory gate up the hill home.

The bike was so heavy, he couldn't get up the hill! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Muckyboots wrote:

M50 ring fort does that nicely.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

westtip wrote: »

these people have roads leading up their front doors right? - why not dig them up to protect them from jackeen raiders?

Junior Minister Sean Canney came into government in a blaze of publicity around his stance on the western rail corridor, including a six month deadline for a study of the route. His website lists the matter as a priority, where he says that his priorities include his intent to "Campaign for the delivery of the remainder of the Western Rail Corridor including the provision of a freight service along this route."
    Six months has come and gone, and there's not a sign of the promised report. Does that mean that Canney's 'red line' has been crossed and he will now walk away from government? Or is the report commissioned but not delivered? Or will he accept the recent Irish Rail report as sufficient evidence that completing the remainder of the WRC might be for another generation?
    Or is his pre-ministerial bluster an embarrassment that he now wants to quietly ignore now that he has a plum job, and hope that nobody notices?
    I think we should be told.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Logue no2

Junior Minister Sean Canney came into government in a blaze of publicity around his stance on the western rail corridor, including a six month deadline for a study of the route. His website lists the matter as a priority, where he says that his priorities include his intent to "Campaign for the delivery of the remainder of the Western Rail Corridor including the provision of a freight service along this route."
    Six months has come and gone, and there's not a sign of the promised report. Does that mean that Canney's 'red line' has been crossed and he will now walk away from government? Or is the report commissioned but not delivered? Or will he accept the recent Irish Rail report as sufficient evidence that completing the remainder of the WRC might be for another generation?
    Or is his pre-ministerial bluster an embarrassment that he now wants to quietly ignore now that he has a plum job, and hope that nobody notices?

Deflection tactics! Why was the now closed West on Crack Facebook page created? Was there a view that the rail campaign was a bit too successful? I think we should be told.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

because it was a joke that had run it's course....away out of it with your conspiracy theories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Logue no2

Isambard wrote: »
    because it was a joke that had run it's course....away out of it with your conspiracy theories.

Good to see you online again. How's Kanturk?

Logue no2 wrote: »

Deflection tactics! Why was the now closed West on Crack Facebook page created? Was there a view that the rail campaign was a bit too successful? I think we should be told.
    No idea, and what has that got to do with the Canney debacle?
    Or am I missing some in-house riddle?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Can I remind folks (yet again) that civility isn't optional around here? Also trying to "out" folks either directly, or via snide remarks and sly comments is not something this forum is tolerent of, and frankly is the dictionary definition of "dick move".

Despite the change of subject earlier that seems to have been aimed at avoiding the issue, this question is important. Where is the report, or is there going to be one at all? Was it all just a stalling tactic to slow down the greenway campaign, or what exactly is the story?
    Or was it just a way of getting a nice job in government?

Logue no2 wrote: »
    Good to see you online again. How's Kanturk?

and how is south london are the trains not running on time enough for you to concentrate on!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Can I remind folks (yet again) that civility isn't optional around here? Also trying to "out" folks either directly, or via snide remarks and sly comments is not something this forum is tolerent of, and frankly is the dictionary definition of "dick move".

This. Again. Take it to private message if you must, but anyone ignoring it shouldn't expect much sympathy.

I'd love to know where the Canney Report is though. It was such an important issue during the talks for the formation of government, and the six months deadline was a red line issue for the bould Sean. That deadline is now passed and there's no sign of the report.
    So, does anyone know, (1) is the report even commissioned yet?, (2) If it is, who is writing it?, (3) Is Junior Minister Canney going to accept the recent Irish Rail report as definitive, or will he spend our taxes duplicating it?, or (4) If he doesn't get a report, will he withdraw from government as promised?
    Or is it 'none of the above', where ignoring it means that at least an adverse report won't appear?

I'd love to know where the Canney Report is though. It was such an important issue during the talks for the formation of government, and the six months deadline was a red line issue for the bould Sean. That deadline is now passed and there's no sign of the report.
    So, does anyone know, (1) is the report even commissioned yet?, (2) If it is, who is writing it?, (3) Is Junior Minister Canney going to accept the recent Irish Rail report as definitive, or will he spend our taxes duplicating it?, or (4) If he doesn't get a report, will he withdraw from government as promised?
    Or is it 'none of the above', where ignoring it means that at least an adverse report won't appear?

If you are that interested, why not just drop his office an email.

• Advertisement

That would just get me a political response. You know, 'the minister is engaged in a consultative process going forward with a view to bringing finality to the ongoing discussions around the process of delivering essential infrastructure to the Galway area. As soon as clarity has emerged from the discussions, the minister will update you.'
    I just want to know if the whole thing about the 'red line' issue in the programme for government was just a bit of spoofing, something to keep the few anti tourism councillors happy while grabbing a tasty salary with a nifty expenses regime. I don't think I'll get that from the junior minister, but maybe some of the railway buffs have the information. Did their boy deliver, or was it all smoke and daggers?

That would just get me a political response. You know, 'the minister is engaged in a consultative process going forward with a view to bringing finality to the ongoing discussions around the process of delivering essential infrastructure to the Galway area. As soon as clarity has emerged from the discussions, the minister will update you.'
    I just want to know if the whole thing about the 'red line' issue in the programme for government was just a bit of spoofing, something to keep the few anti tourism councillors happy while grabbing a tasty salary with a nifty expenses regime. I don't think I'll get that from the junior minister, but maybe some of the railway buffs have the information. Did their boy deliver, or was it all smoke and daggers?

If you are that interested, why not just drop his office an email.

Pointless I have written via email to him and the minister for Westport so many times on this issue, they never reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Look what I found tonight. Happy New Year westtip. :D

I'd love to see them try that today! Might have to do a bit of portage!
    Still, it's great to see that the wdc still believes in the tooth fairy.

I'd love to see them try that today! Might have to do a bit of portage!
    Still, it's great to see that the wdc still believes in the tooth fairy.
    They'd need to use one of these to get along the "modified" sections.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Look what I found tonight. Happy New Year westtip. :D

Was that the holy father on board at the beginning of the clip? With His holiness possibly coming back to Ireland would't this wee yellow cart make a great Pope mobile. 1981. My second year at Uni. Margaret Thatcher at the height of her realm, Italia 90 only 9 years to go. The Millenium bug festering in our mainframes. Truly a lifetime away.......and still those that live in hope. Good luck for 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

"Contract to be awarded shortly for long-awaited upgrade of N63 near Abbeyknockmoy"

http://connachttribune.ie/contract-to-be-awarded-shortly-for-long-awaited-upgrade-of-n63-near-abbeyknockmoy/
    "
    The works include, fencing, site clearance, traffic management, earthworks, drainage, pavement, signage, landscaping, kerbing and footway/cycleway construction.
    "
    Does this mean the end of the WRC?
    Is footway/cycleway mentioned here in relation to the Railway Bridge over the N63? Is it to be converted into a footway/cycleway bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

^^^wouldn't standard foot-paths/cycle lanes along the road be the more obvious answer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

NiallBoo wrote: »
    ^^^wouldn't standard foot-paths/cycle lanes along the road be the more obvious answer?

No, every closed line in the country needs to be turned into a greenway and then we can move onto to greenways on planned rail links that weren't built.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement