Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

NiallBoo wrote: »
    ^^^wouldn't standard foot-paths/cycle lanes along the road be the more obvious answer?

Your correct - but in this scenario I believe this N63 scheme was held up in relation to who was going to pay for the Railway Bridge works? The road is been widened and the Bridge has to be widened as a result. I understand a big difference in the cost of reinstating as a Railway Bridge v's Cycleway Bridge was discussed at the time but I have not heard anything on what the final decision was?

Edit for clarification:
    as per photo in the following link
    http://connachttribune.ie/contract-to-be-awarded-shortly-for-long-awaited-upgrade-of-n63-near-abbeyknockmoy-290/
    the Railway Bridge is called the: Ballyglunin bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Your correct - but in this scenario I believe this N63 scheme was held up in relation to who was going to pay for the Railway Bridge works? The road is been widened and the Bridge has to be widened as a result. I understand a big difference in the cost of reinstating as a Railway Bridge v's Cycleway Bridge was discussed at the time but I have not heard anything on what the final decision was?

Edit for clarification:
    as per photo in the following link
    http://connachttribune.ie/contract-to-be-awarded-shortly-for-long-awaited-upgrade-of-n63-near-abbeyknockmoy-290/
    the Railway Bridge is called the: Ballyglunin bridge

Well if they dont replace the railway bridge as part of this road project, it doesn't matter. WOT and their supporters wont care because they will simply "demand" its replacement as part of their "demand" for the reopening. Who cares?

Lots more damage was inflicted in areas of decent enough population and nobody batted an eyelid. Think the M3 and the state backed reopening of the Navan rail line. Biggest scam ever in rail terms. A poxy bridge in the backwater of Ballyglunin hasn't a patch on it.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

NiallBoo wrote: »
    ^^^wouldn't standard foot-paths/cycle lanes along the road be the more obvious answer?

Not for a long distance greenway to attract tourists, inevitably sometimes alongside a road is used for short sections of greenway, of course in countries like Netherlands cycle lanes are built as a standard part of many roads, that is not going to happen here. There are many different solutions for building greenway infrastructure visit the www.sustrans.co.uk site to see what can be achieved, the use of closed railways though is just an obvious and cheap way of utilizing public land for this purpose, not going to go over old ground here, but the obvious answer and most cost effective solution is actually to use the closed railway.....which ain't going to re-open!

Ballyglunin Bridge gone is the end of the railway. End of. Period. Full Stop. Adios amigos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

"Contract to be awarded shortly for long-awaited upgrade of N63 near Abbeyknockmoy"

http://connachttribune.ie/contract-to-be-awarded-shortly-for-long-awaited-upgrade-of-n63-near-abbeyknockmoy/

Does this mean the end of the WRC?
    Is footway/cycleway mentioned here in relation to the Railway Bridge over the N63? Is it to be converted into a footway/cycleway bridge?

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2016/10/12/4128223-atlantic-rail-corridor-set-to-become-a-reality/

Seán Canny TD (Minister of State OPW) said that he was working closely with Minister Ring and other colleagues to ensure that the Atlantic Corridor becomes a reality.
    “The restoration of the Mayo-Galway rail link is a key part of that as far as I am concerned.” He added that he was pleased to confirm that the TII was writing to Galway County Council to confirm that a new railway bridge is to be built at Ballyglunin as part of the works on the new M17 motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

Muckyboots wrote: »
    http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2016/10/12/4128223-atlantic-rail-corridor-set-to-become-a-reality/

Seán Canny TD (Minister of State OPW) said that he was working closely with Minister Ring and other colleagues to ensure that the Atlantic Corridor becomes a reality.
    “The restoration of the Mayo-Galway rail link is a key part of that as far as I am concerned.” He added that he was pleased to confirm that the TII was writing to Galway County Council to confirm that a new railway bridge is to be built at Ballyglunin as part of the works on the new M17 motorway.

Apart from the statement by Canney, I wonder is there any basis in fact for a belief that a bridge will be built at Ballyglunin as part of the M17 job? If so, what height above the current track will it be built at, and what impact will that have on the other bridges nearby? There is another bridge close enough to Ballyglunin that is already very humped and that is also close to somebody's front garden; will that have to be raised as well to accommodate the raised track bed and won't it create a serious visual intrusion and traffic hazard close to a handful of homes on that road? There is another bridge as well in the zone that will also have to be raised, and I think that both may be listed structures.
    I wonder has anybody thought this through? Maybe Junior Minister Canney could elaborate?

Muckyboots wrote: »

It will be a promisary note for it to happen sometime in the future, maybe Sean Canney should ask for it to be included in the Western Rail Corridor report he has asked for, apparently going to happen within 6 months of government being formed, shouldn't worry too much about the railway bridge being rebuilt, it will be offered to happen sometime in the future. They will wave the promisary note in the air, "Peace in our time", I believe is the historical reference.

Ballyglunin Bridge currently has a clearance off the roadway of 4.14m. Is it not true that part of the access road works includes raising the road level, reducing that clearance?
    Either way, TII's own standards for road bridges allow for clearance over vehicles with a maximum height of 4.65m, raised since the year 2000 when it was 4.25m. So, they will have to build any replacement bridge to the new standard, raising the track bed by more than half a meter plus whatever additional height is being added to the roadway. That also has implications in both directions for nearby bridges.
    You can't build an access link to a motorway without also building in sufficient clearance for motorway traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

westtip wrote: »
    Not for a long distance greenway...

Whether there's a greenway built or not, this article doesn't say anything about it. As you say it would be a completely separate project and thus out if the scope of what's being reported.

What_traffic asks an interesting question about how/if the bridge might be rebuilt, but the article doesn't say anything about it so it's all just guess-work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭serfboard

eastwest wrote: »
    is there any basis in fact for a belief that a bridge will be built at Ballyglunin as part of the M17 job?
    No.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I would be optimistic that this government will be gone before they have time to further damage the railways. What the next one will bring......

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ennis-Athenry won't go imo. Every line needs subvention as has been stated. The dart is the lowest at 90c, but the journeys are much higher so the cost is great.

westtip wrote: »
    That coffin is so full of nails that one more makes no difference, but that's not the problem. Ennis athenry won't be closed at this stage; they'll close the Ballybrophy line to buy time, and hope that the first phase of the wrc manages to stagger on until after the next election.
    The real problem is the Athenry Collooney section. They won't build it, obviously, but neither will he do anything about making the asset work for the community. Stagnation is the name of the game, as long as local politicians find it profitable to keep the weeds growing.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I would be optimistic that this government will be gone before they have time to further damage the railways. What the next one will bring......
    I agree; they will damage the railways by ignoring the key problems, one of which is a small handful of lines that are bleeding money away from viable services.
    Rail services won't work anywhere without subvention, but it is the level of subvention that is the problem. A huge slice of the subvention towards public transport in general goes to around 10% of the passengers, and the remainder lose out.
    If the government is serious about protecting the overall rail system, they need to root out the rotten bits, like ballybrophy and (to a lesser extent) Ennis-Athenry. However I don't see any government having the b*lls to close the latter, and even the obvious open goal of the empty trains in Nenagh is a hard ball for them to kick.
    Doing nothing is easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

mayo.mick wrote: »
    C2KecVmXcAAel7C.jpg
    There's a bonanza there for Irish rail on ennis athenry if bus eireann get their way!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There's a bonanza there for Irish rail on ennis athenry if bus eireann get their way!

The Free Travel Pass needs to be reviewed as it is distorting services - particularly on rail. Anytime I travel on a train (IC), I get the impression that the majority of passengers are on the FTP.

Now would a small fee (like 10% of the fare) would not go amiss.

The Free Travel Pass needs to be reviewed as it is distorting services - particularly on rail. Anytime I travel on a train (IC), I get the impression that the majority of passengers are on the FTP.

Probably wouldn't make much difference, the taxpayers still pick up the tab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

What line? My recent experiences of the Wexford line led me to believe the majority were travelling for free, as at 44 years old I was probably the youngest person in the carriage.

Otoh, as a frequent off-peak traveller on the Maynooth line the amount of fare evasion is huge, particularly between intermediate stations.

Not a hope they will risk stirring up the grey vote.

....for 'future' restoration of Ballyglunin Bridge.

....for 'future' restoration of Ballyglunin Bridge.

Yes very unusual phrasing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

"We'll restore it when you give us the funds to do so."

No point in it staying unless there's a solid plan to reopen the railway. It's quite narrow and low at 4.14m.

marno21 wrote: »
    "We'll restore it when you give us the funds to do so."

No point in it staying unless there's a solid plan to reopen the railway. It's quite narrow and low at 4.14m.
    That's the key point. Any exit road from a motorway will have to have safe clearance for normal motorway traffic, currently vehicles up to 4.65m. Therefore the reinstated Bridge would have to be high enough to provide safe clearance abive 4.65m high vehicles, and trains (even imaginary ones) can't climb steps.

Nothing unusual about it at all! It's the usual waffle about something we will put on the wish list. Think about who is going to fund this mythical bridge of the future?

The NRA? I don't think they would touch it?

Irish Rail? Right yeh really likely

Galway coco - like all of them broke.

DOT. oh yeh I can see it now, lets rebuild a railway bridge just in case we want to build the railway again in 30 years time.

The EU - oh yes I can just see structural funding coming through for a railway bridge on a line that is closed and is not part of TEN T transport

I have run out of potential candidates, apart maybe from the fairies...

This bridge coming down is the end of the show.

Any Civil Engineers here? What would the difference in cost be, between a Greenway Bridge and a Railway Bridge?

Any Civil Engineers here? What would the difference in cost be, between a Greenway Bridge and a Railway Bridge?

it could be a compromise, I assume the new road will include footpaths, which means there could simply be a slipway greenway going down to the road level and some form of pedestrian/cycleway crossing put in place. If cost of a single span pedestrian/cycleway bridge was too great.

Using this solution, the site of the old demolished bridge could become the access point for residents of Ballyglunin to get onto their smart new local leisure facility....Now there is a thought Greenways as a local leisure facility or a rusting railway that will not be re-opened....

• Advertisement

Two entirely different animals, and depends entirely on the design. You could fabricate a decent enough footbridge for about 50k and drop it into place on the existing or new buttresses, but I'd imagine that a heavy rail bridge would start at a million and upwards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement