Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I would agree fully, no scope for any railway after Athenry. However, for both sides, I don't think you can use the figures for Ennis-Athenry as any indication of demand for a railway to Tuam or further on.

Ennis to Athenry figures are not too bad, and a big plus is the train is cheaper than the bus currently. They're not brilliant however, but much better than lines like LJ-WAT (which Imo could be improved with ease) and Limerick to Ballybrophy (needs to die).

Ennis-Athenry is cheaper by rail vs bus because it gets a massive operating subsidy and is made cheaper on purpose to encourage use rather than shuttling empty trains up and down the line.

Given the enormous operating subsidy it makes sense to lower fares as the fare income won't cover costs anyway.
    That's exactly what I'm implying, several people got out in Athenry.

Why would they? Surely stops on a line don't prove how well a line is doing?

Personally I don't think so, the M18 will just be bringing you further outside Galway to near Athenry and onto the M6, the potential congestion on the way into galway could well negate any time savings during peak times.

Speed improvements could be well worth it along the line, at some stages the train slows to 50km/h, which to me seems rather strange, shouldn't the issues have been sorted out before they rebuilt the line?

Stopping in extra places for no one to get on is just increasing journey times further discouraging use.

The M18 will improve bus journey times because the bus can travel at a constant 100km/h from Gort to Galway as opposed to the current slow rate with all the villages (and level crossings).

The low speed restrictions are due to poor alignment and level crossings along the route, which would have been cost prohibitive to remove during construction. The alignment is much worse from Tuam-Collooney so that show you how bad that would be if built.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

a 100kmph bus (a ridiculous speed for a bus to be traveling IMO) is all well and good until the inevitable long stop for traffic on the way in to either city.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

Furthermore, from this December, the X51 bus will be going along the full M18, reducing the Inter-City time to (I'm guessing about) an hour and ten minutes - while the train will still be trundling around the countryside taking two hours.

Personally I don't think so, the M18 will just be bringing you further outside Galway to near Athenry and onto the M6, the potential congestion on the way into galway could well negate any time savings during peak times.
    [/quote]
    There is a lot of work planned or being done on bus corridors into Galway which will ensure that this isn't an issue.

Muckyboots wrote: »
    Sloopys wrote: »

It's like watching the first dreaded back to school ads on the telly isn't it. We had three weeks break from all of this codology so I guess we are now back to business as usual here. But before I go back to lurking I will say this; Canney is going to top the poll - again.

You are probably right. He's a smooth operator and there won't be an envelope opened in Tuam in the next 12 months with out his presence . He has lost the "young family" town vote.
    He'll be very wary of attending any envelope-openings in Tuam, unless before a captive audience, given the depth of feeling about his blocking of the greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

marno21 wrote: »
    He can retire to spend more time watching construction begin on Bank of America's new Milltown campus after their post Brexit decision to relocate to the bustling Galway metropolis in anticipation of construction of Phase II of the Western Rail Corridor.

Meanwhile workers for Bank of America in Dublin have no way of getting to work and nowhere to live. But it's ok cos Galway has its trains.

Marno yes I appreciate your humour, but in what you say there is some truth and how the housing crisis in Dublin could be addressed through a proper radial highspeed train service into and out of Dublin. I worked in London for several years, its where the jobs are, where the critical mass of skilled mindset is, and like it or not, large cities are the driver of economies. Ireland, like it or not has to have a Dublin Centric economic view, that doesn't mean the rest of the country will fall to its knees economically, but in this long standing debate we have all had about greenways and trains trundling at low speed from Claremorris to Tuam what we have lost sight of (or least what the WOT lobby lost sight of years ago) is the need to focus our train service on high speed shifting of lots of bodies into and out of Dublin.....When I worked in London I lived in Basingstoke, 60 miles from my job. On a good day and hey South West Trains are not the best, I could make it to work in just over an hour.

People commute into London on a lot longer journies. The focus of the Railway lobby should be high speed services into and out of Dublin. And I mean high speed and a good service up to midnight. Of course it will require subvention of course many trains will be running at low capacity. But if you could get on a train in Galway and be in Dublin an hour and quarter later would you commute? This is the real benefits trains can bring to a society, not re-opening branch lines that fit a C19th century requirement.

Anyway just felt like writing an essay this morning.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The bus from Limerick to Galway is currently 30 minutes faster than the train. What will this increase to once the motorway is opened?

Unless a Cork-Limerick-Galway service is built with similar speeds to Cork-Dublin then rail has no future from Limerick to Galway.

westtip wrote: »
    marno21 wrote: »
    He can retire to spend more time watching construction begin on Bank of America's new Milltown campus after their post Brexit decision to relocate to the bustling Galway metropolis in anticipation of construction of Phase II of the Western Rail Corridor.

Meanwhile workers for Bank of America in Dublin have no way of getting to work and nowhere to live. But it's ok cos Galway has its trains.

Marno yes I appreciate your humour, but in what you say there is some truth and how the housing crisis in Dublin could be addressed through a proper radial highspeed train service into and out of Dublin. I worked in London for several years, its where the jobs are, where the critical mass of skilled mindset is, and like it or not, large cities are the driver of economies. Ireland, like it or not has to have a Dublin Centric economic view, that doesn't mean the rest of the country will fall to its knees economically, but in this long standing debate we have all had about greenways and trains trundling at low speed from Claremorris to Tuam what we have lost sight of (or least what the WOT lobby lost sight of years ago) is the need to focus our train service on high speed shifting of lots of bodies into and out of Dublin.....When I worked in London I lived in Basingstoke, 60 miles from my job. On a good day and hey South West Trains are not the best, I could make it to work in just over an hour.

People commute into London on a lot longer journies. The focus of the Railway lobby should be high speed services into and out of Dublin. And I mean high speed and a good service up to midnight. Of course it will require subvention of course many trains will be running at low capacity. But if you could get on a train in Galway and be in Dublin an hour and quarter later would you commute? This is the real benefits trains can bring to a society, not re-opening branch lines that fit a C19th century requirement.

Anyway just felt like writing an essay this morning.:pac:
    You don't get it, do you? They have the LUAS up in Dublin, so we're entitled to the same. It's not about whether we need it or not, or whether it makes sense. And to make it worse, they're proposing to take our railway and replace it with a cycle path for Dublin 4 types. We must fight them to the death (of all our small towns ).
    You'd never make a politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Train fairly full at the moment leaving galway, few free seats.

What sort of business case was there for Ardrahan? On the 13:45 service today there were a few people getting off at every station except Ardrahan, which nobody got on or off at and there wasn't a car to be seen in the carpark whatsoever.

Pity they spent money on it really, could cut a few minutes off the service with no real loss of passengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

What sort of business case was there for Ardrahan?

Business case? You're having a laugh, yes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What sort of business case was there for Ardrahan?

There was no business case for the entire line. A few extra Athenry-Galway and Ennis-Limerick services would have had the same increase in passenger numbers.

I won't disagree on the reasons how the line came about, however, that wasn't my question. Why is Ardrahan still a station if it's use is so low? Surely it is worsening an already struggling line?

I won't disagree on the reasons how the line came about, however, that wasn't my question. Why is Ardrahan still a station if it's use is so low? Surely it is worsening an already struggling line?

The last non-excursion station to close without direct replacement on an open railway line here must be the mid 1970s - Mosney, Curragh and Ashtown's brief 1979 opening were excursion stations. Its just Not Done even when it makes sense.

L1011 wrote: »
    The last non-excursion station to close without direct replacement on an open railway line here must be the mid 1970s - Mosney, Curragh and Ashtown's brief 1979 opening were excursion stations. Its just Not Done even when it makes sense.

A few stations on the Waterford-Rosslare line closed in 2010 when the service was withdrawn.

I get your point though, surely it should never been opened in the first place? Even the never opened but planned Crusheen station would have probably performed better.

A few stations on the Waterford-Rosslare line closed in 2010 when they closed.

The entire line closed.

The entire line closed.

Meant to input when the line closed. However it doesn't take from your explanation either way.

There was no business case for the entire line. A few extra Athenry-Galway and Ennis-Limerick services would have had the same increase in passenger numbers.

Back in those days when the boom could only get boomier, you didn't need a business case, you just needed a minister to throw a pile of money at somebody's pet project.
    Therein lies the problem. A handful of politicians, despite knowing that there is no case for extending the line and despite knowing that there is no money for it, still believe that the old days will come back and that someone will chuck a pile of taxpayer funds at their little hobby horse.
    It's not going to happen if course, but this small club is in complete denial of the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Sloopys

eastwest wrote: »
    Canney has zero chance of getting elected to the Dail. His best chance would actually have been to save some face in Tuam by backing the greenway, but Tuam will give him a roasting at the polls.

Canney topped the poll. So much for your political analysis and forecasts!

Canney topped the poll. So much for your political analysis and forecasts!
    Tuam has a history of giving chancers the heave after one term.
    The growing realisation in Tuam and Athenry that he is the one stopping the greenway will come back to bite him.
    There's getting a seat, and there's keeping a seat. The former is often the easier job.

Tuam has a history of giving chancers the heave after one term.
    The growing realisation in Tuam and Athenry that he is the one stopping the greenway will come back to bite him.
    There's getting a seat, and there's keeping a seat. The former is often the easier job.

ah but he isn't stopping the greenway. the reality is there are more important things for government to be spending money on and i suspect most people have other issues they have a greater interest in solving first. in reality i suspect only a minority like the railway care about the greenway. we will see at election time what happens.

• Advertisement

ah but he isn't stopping the greenway. .

He's not stopping the imaginary greenway, the one that avoids towns and goes through lands where the owners won't allow it. The one he dreamed up to stop the actual greenway.
    Yer right there!

The owners of the route support the greenway option

the owners who (funnily enough) don't have a great track record when it comes to running railways. of course they support the greenway option, it's nothing to do with them supposibly believing it might be a good asset to the area (which it may or may not be)
    These 'rail to trail' projects are successful everywhere (see 'Diese greenway' for example in this country)

a couple of them here are successful yes. however we need to take some time before judging over all success. we do not want to end up like the uk where we have a number of greenways which are used by only 1 man and his dog but which the owners/operators will fight tooth and knail to prevent it from being reused for transport again dispite it's reuse for transport being beneficial to a lot more people.
    the people want the greenway and are increasingly getting mad at the small cabal who are stopping it.

some of the people want the greenway and may be mad at those who they claim are stopping it, but who actually aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Sloopys

Not really.
    The route exists.
    The owners of the route support the greenway option
    There is funding available
    These 'rail to trail' projects are successful everywhere (see 'Diese greenway' for example in this country)
    There is no funding stream that can be accessed for a railway, except good old 'general taxation'
    There is no business case for a railway
    The first phase of the wrc hasn't delivered as promised
    There is insufficient demand and population on the section north of Athenry
    The European union won't part-fund a railway on the route
    The greenway won't prevent a railway being built if any of the above changes.
    And finally, the people want the greenway and are increasingly getting mad at the small cabal who are stopping it.
    But you know all that.

You suggest I know all you have just posted, I don't, I'm just an interested bystander. Having said that as a mere observer I would suggest that the constant whinging and whining about the railway and its supporters won't win you the railway line. Also the passenger numbers on the Galway Limerick line are far in excess of what you and your comrades regularly claim on this board.

Also the passenger numbers on the Galway Limerick line are far in excess of what you and your comrades regularly claim on this board.

Are you, by any chance, using the passenger numbers quoted by Irish Rail?

The ones that include passengers on the existing Galway-Athenry and Ennis-Limerick sections?

They're irrelevant to the reopened section.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

a couple of them here are successful yes. however we need to take some time before judging over all success. we do not want to end up like the uk where we have a number of greenways which are used by only 1 man and his dog but which the owners/operators will fight tooth and knail to prevent it from being reused for transport again dispite it's reuse for transport being beneficial to a lot more people.

Given we lack the enlightened network of off-road public paths that criss-cross the entirety of England & Wales and which somewhat limit the need for greenways there, at least for able-bodied walkers, I don't think there's much fear of greenways in this country being under-utilised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭serfboard

we do not want to end up like the uk where we have a number of greenways which are used by only 1 man and his dog but which the owners/operators will fight tooth and knail to prevent it from being reused for transport again dispite it's reuse for transport being beneficial to a lot more people.
    I'd agree with that. In Ireland however we have far lower population density, and absolutely no planning at all with houses scattered higgeldy-piggeldy around the countryside, thus providing no critical mass in towns which would strengthen the argument for railway use.

The situation here in fact is exactly the opposite to the case you cite - we have a crowd of trainspotters who are fighting tooth and nail to prevent an idle railway line being reused as a Greenway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

THREAD REOPENED

Lets get two things clear here.

Attacking the poster and not the post is not permitted under any circumstances. If you have a problem with a post or the way another member has acted towards you please report the post and let the moderators deal with it.

Secondly naming any poster in thread is a breach of the terms of your continued use of this website:
    http://www.boards.ie/content/terms?site=desktop

We expect you to act responsibly in posting Material on Boards.ie. You agree, through use of this service, NOT to use boards.ie to:

identify or speculate as to the identity of any anonymous or pseudonymous user

If we find that this rule has been broken then it is highly likely that you will be sanctioned up to and including having your posting rights removed from this forum and I'm sure you wouldn't want that.

Do not reply to this message.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Frankly I have to say that the standard of posting in this thread has been far less than I come to expect from those who paricipate in it and despite having issued a clear mod warning just a couple of days ago it seems some believe that they still are exempt from the rules here and can do as they please.

To borrow BuffyBots words, I'm saying that this will not stand from this point on, I'm saying that things are going to get tough on this thread from here on in, and do not be surprised if you get severely sanctioned for not posting within the rules.

I do not wish to see any more of the following
    - sniping at each other and being uncivil
    - personal attacks and digs
    - speculating on the idenity of others
    - back seat moderation
    - replying to moderation in thread.

If you cannot take part in this thread and adhere to the above rules, then I would suggest you refrain from posting. If you do post, and ignore the charter and basic rules of the site, do not expect much sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

October 6th!

The day this thread can apparently really close.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104513592&postcount=6845

• Advertisement

westtip wrote: »
    October 6th!

The day this thread can apparently really close.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104513592&postcount=6845

Well it's not like it'll ever become a railway with or without the motorway.

Discussion will continue about the possible Greenway though?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement