Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

Fact that train drivers will refuse to stop in Tuam. My dad's uncle from Ennis used to drive the beet trains in the 70s. Recounted how often the locals would rob his cargo while he waited at the town gates. He once lost 15%. They used to boil the beets and eat them like turnips. Can you imagine if they got their grubby hands on the Coca Cola mixes on route to Foynes? I can see them lining up now with their robbed Lidl chainsaws waiting for the slow train from Coilte.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭rebel456

meaningless in terms of voz es's post though. no doubt some locals did turn out but i wouldn't be surprised if there were a decent contingent from afar as well.

No-one bar Voz es, an anonymous poster on boards, has stated there was a 'decent contingent from afar'. If you look at the link I showed, from the local paper, it states local groups, schools, business leaders etc attended. Please do show us any proof you have that an sizable 'foreign' grouping attended.

Which again, was a fantastic turnout for a town the size of Tuam. Quite clear what the locals support now. I wonder how many were at any recent WOT gatherings...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

meaningless in terms of voz es's post though. no doubt some locals did turn out but i wouldn't be surprised if there were a decent contingent from afar as well.

Being from the Tuam area, I certainly remember seeing plenty of local people in the pictures of that walk.

From the people I know in Tuam, most are very much in favour of a greenway. However, a major problem is that people put this as a greenway v railway debate. That is the frustrating part. Even on this thread, you see people say "The rail line will never be back", "Trains will never run in Tuam again" (They are not exact quotes but just the gist of some posts). Maybe such an opinion is correct but when people talk like that, it just makes rail supporters more entrenched in their position. For me, the most logical approach is - use this resource as a greenway but if there ever comes a time that a rail line is to help Tuam (& surrounding area), then the rail line takes precedence. It is crazy to me that greenway & railway supporters don't work in conjunction with each other. They both share a common goal - use this resource and dont let it be neglected any longer. They need to focus on that common goal.

Tuam is a town on it's knees. We often hear of rural Ireland dying - if you want to see it, go to Tuam. There are vacant premises all over the town. It is a very sad sight. I am not sure a greenway will help Tuam a great deal economically. But it sure is worth a try. It is certainly worth a feasibility study! I was at an event last year where a local councillor spoke. He talked of how North Galway does not do enough to attract tourists. As he said it, I thought to myself "He is right, there are so many things around here that nobody goes to". The same councillor voted against the greenway this week. It is hard to understand that one.

Ciaran Cannon pointed out that nobody is highlighting the extra benefits of improving peoples health etc. And I completely agree with him. It was something that I hadn't really thought of. Tuam is a town that does not have many parks or public amenities where people can go for a walk away for traffic. So my guess is that it would be fairly popular amongst local people.

Would I use the greenway? Definitely. Would I use a train line to get from Tuam - Galway? Never.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Being from the Tuam area, I certainly remember seeing plenty of local people in the pictures of that walk.

From the people I know in Tuam, most are very much in favour of a greenway. However, a major problem is that people put this as a greenway v railway debate. That is the frustrating part. Even on this thread, you see people say "The rail line will never be back", "Trains will never run in Tuam again" (They are not exact quotes but just the gist of some posts). Maybe such an opinion is correct but when people talk like that, it just makes rail supporters more entrenched in their position. For me, the most logical approach is - use this resource as a greenway but if there ever comes a time that a rail line is to help Tuam (& surrounding area), then the rail line takes precedence. It is crazy to me that greenway & railway supporters don't work in conjunction with each other. They both share a common goal - use this resource and dont let it be neglected any longer. They need to focus on that common goal.

Tuam is a town on it's knees. We often hear of rural Ireland dying - if you want to see it, go to Tuam. There are vacant premises all over the town. It is a very sad sight. I am not sure a greenway will help Tuam a great deal economically. But it sure is worth a try. It is certainly worth a feasibility study! I was at an event last year where a local councillor spoke. He talked of how North Galway does not do enough to attract tourists. As he said it, I thought to myself "He is right, there are so many things around here that nobody goes to". The same councillor voted against the greenway this week. It is hard to understand that one.

Ciaran Cannon pointed out that nobody is highlighting the extra benefits of improving peoples health etc. And I completely agree with him. It was something that I hadn't really thought of. Tuam is a town that does not have many parks or public amenities where people can go for a walk away for traffic. So my guess is that it would be fairly popular amongst local people.

Would I use the greenway? Definitely. Would I use a train line to get from Tuam - Galway? Never.

your post is well meaning and agree with much of what you say, in regard to working with West on Track, this has been tried the truth is west on track will not accept that a greenway now railway when we can afford it or even need it is acceptable to them. The greenway argument is quite simple, a railway is unaffordable and not justfiable. There is no money for it. There can be no european funding for it because of European TEN-T policy agreed and signed off by our government and every other government in the EU. All this has been hammered out over the years on this thread.

West on Track ban anyone on their facebook page who even mention a greenway, they won;t even debate the idea on the internet, they wouldn't present to Sligo county council on the same day as Sligo Greenway co-op, one of the representatives from Sinn Fein/West on Track stated on National TV a few years back "The Western Rail Corridor is not up for discussion" West on Track wrote to all councillors in Sligo a few years ago saying I was hijacking "their railway", members of the greenway campaign have reached out to them and rebuffed them. There is little to no point working with them, the greenway campaigners know full well if we go to national government saying we want a greenway alongside the new railway we will be told, "ah ye mad, no one is going to rebuild the railway" To work with West on Track they would have to accept the argument that Greenway now railway later when we can afford it is a valid argument. There is no issue of Greenway v Railwa, the fact needs to be grasped, like it or not, the railway is not going to be reopened. That leaves the option of finding a use for the closed railway, the greenway seems like a shoe in of an idea go tell that to West on Track on their facebook page, your post will stay for about five minutes, and you will be banned from posting. Work with people who cannot debate. It's not possible.

westtip wrote: »
    your post is well meaning and agree with much of what you say, in regard to working with West on Track, this has been tried the truth is west on track will not accept that a greenway now railway when we can afford it or even need it is acceptable to them. The greenway argument is quite simple, a railway is unaffordable and not justfiable. There is no money for it. There can be no european funding for it because of European TEN-T policy agreed and signed off by our government and every other government in the EU. All this has been hammered out over the years on this thread.

West on Track ban anyone on their facebook page who even mention a greenway, they won;t even debate the idea on the internet, they wouldn't present to Sligo county council on the same day as Sligo Greenway co-op, one of the representatives from Sinn Fein/West on Track stated on National TV a few years back "The Western Rail Corridor is not up for discussion" West on Track wrote to all councillors in Sligo a few years ago saying I was hijacking "their railway", members of the greenway campaign have reached out to them and rebuffed them. There is little to no point working with them, the greenway campaigners know full well if we go to national government saying we want a greenway alongside the new railway we will be told, "ah ye mad, no one is going to rebuild the railway" To work with West on Track they would have to accept the argument that Greenway now railway later when we can afford it is a valid argument. There is no issue of Greenway v Railwa, the fact needs to be grasped, like it or not, the railway is not going to be reopened. That leaves the option of finding a use for the closed railway, the greenway seems like a shoe in of an idea go tell that to West on Track on their facebook page, your post will stay for about five minutes, and you will be banned from posting. Work with people who cannot debate. It's not possible.

But are all of the Galway councillors who voted against the feasibility study connected to WOT? Are any of them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

well there isn't anyone here who is pro rail for trainspotters and pensioners that's of little use to 99% of people, so your argument has no validity in my view.

The now Taoiseach has come out in the past and stated that the first phase of the WRC was only opened for political reasons and that there would be no further openings.

There is no business case whatsoever for rail north of Athenry and no amount of talking about "the good old days" is going to change that. Being able to route freight trains up the WRC isn't going to attract jobs to the towns along the route. Neither is there a business case for spending €100m+ on a railway so that "we can stick it to those ***** above in Dublin and run our freight via Athenry instead of Kildare".

Varadkar has told us that he is planning on building new roads to Sligo, Mayo, and Derry/Donegal. This will do a lot more than a slow meandering Victorian railway will do for the areas involved.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

But are all of the Galway councillors who voted against the feasibility study connected to WOT? Are any of them?
    I can't understand how such a small organisation such as West on Track appear to have so much political pull. It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

You were being quite rational until here when you just couldn't help but climb aboard the anti-rail bandwagon.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    You were being quite rational until here when you just couldn't help but climb aboard the anti-rail bandwagon.

100% not on any bandwagon. That last sentence was just what I would do personally as somebody who lives in the area. If I was travelling from Tuam - Galway, I would not choose to get a train. I would choose to drive. If my car wasnt available, I would get Burkes Bus. I could see myself using the greenway if I was to go for a run for example. Somebody else might choose the opposite way around. But I am not connected to any group / politician. I can just say what I would do.

If I saw a case for a rail line that would help re-vitalise Tuam, I would be delighted to see trains return.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭rebel456

I guess everyone is irrational when they don't support the rail-or-nothing lobby?

• Advertisement

Arguing against the western rail corridor does not make you anti-rail, Rail is a wonderful form of transport, in particular when it shifts large quantities of people in and out of major metro areas/cities. We don't have any major metro areas in the West of Ireland. Get used to that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

marno21 wrote: »
    The now Taoiseach has come out in the past and stated that the first phase of the WRC was only opened for political reasons

in his opinion. it's an opinion i share, but it is still ultimately an opinion.
    and that there would be no further openings.

there will have to be further openings in the future of rail lines such as navan among others.
    There is no business case whatsoever for rail north of Athenry and no amount of talking about "the good old days" is going to change that. Being able to route freight trains up the WRC isn't going to attract jobs to the towns along the route. Neither is there a business case for spending €100m+ on a railway so that "we can stick it to those ***** above in Dublin and run our freight via Athenry instead of Kildare".

and who said there was. there wasn't a business case for a motor way to those areas either, no amount of ranting about things that were never said will change that. so, what's your point? who stated the opposite to what you wrote? nobody.
    Varadkar has told us that he is planning on building new roads to Sligo, Mayo, and Derry/Donegal.

there are all ready roads to those places. they don't justify motor ways.
    This will do a lot more than a slow meandering Victorian railway will do for the areas involved.

not really. the current roads bring the economic activity that would be availible all ready.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

I can't understand how such a small organisation such as West on Track appear to have so much political pull. It's ridiculous.

Add a few clergy and the councillors will flock to the cause. It's a tried and tested political strategy.

Arguing against the western rail corridor does not make you anti-rail, Rail is a wonderful form of transport, in particular when it shifts large quantities of people in and out of major metro areas/cities. We don't have any major metro areas in the West of Ireland. Get used to that fact.

But they have the LUAS in Dublin! 🤕🤕🤕🤕🤕🤕

some of them are - hardliners like Cllr Michael Connolly who put up the counter motion is a key member of the expense claiming gravy train committee the "Inter county western railway committee", these cllrs will do all they can to stop the greenway to keep this gravy train running.

The cllrs who it was thought might swing on the greenway side but said lets wait for the Sean Canney Western Rail corridor report - coming soon apparently folks but not soon enough for any decisions to be made are what is known in political circles and can kickers and fence sitters. They will kick the can down the road and sit on the fence and give you lines like "well we have to look at all avenues and possibilities and lets get to see what the next report says sure you never know what might happen"...they witter on with passive language like this and make sure sweet fanny adam happens but they at least don't get the blame with comments like "sure what can we do all we are doing is waiting for de report".....This is the kind of incompetence which means projects like the National Chilrdrens Hospital are delayed, the Galway by pass, the M20 from Limerick to Cork, and of course the greenway on the closed railway, it is the kind of inertia that drives you into a state of numbness, and is happening all day everyday in our body politic......dithering and withering.

Press release From: The Western Rail Trail campaign
    September 27th 2017 for immediate release

New Motorway spells end of Western Rail Corridor extension north of Athenry
    • Galway county council deferred vote on greenway option for closed line pending release of rail report, but report is sitting on Minister’s desk
    • Greenway campaign calls on Minister to release report immediately
    • Galway East TDs now in majority supporting call for greenway.

A spokesman for the Western Rail Trail Campaign – a community-based group campaigning to preserve the alignment of the closed rail line from Athenry to Collooney by utilising the route for tourism and leisure as a greenway until such time as a railway may be possible, has welcomed today’s opening of the new M17/18 from Tuam to Gort, which the campaign believes effectively ends the debate about the Western Rail Corridor.

“The time has come to move on and accept the reality of life, the new motorway means the end of any debate about the Western Rail Corridor” said MOD: Snip of the campaign.

“This week Galway County Council tabled a motion to carry out a greenway feasibility study but decided to defer a vote on the matter until the publication of the National Transport Authority’s National Rail Review. Our campaign can now reveal that this report is now ready and waiting and sitting on Minister Ross’s desk." Quinn added “This is the National Rail Review which Sean Canney has been looking for and for which the council deferred their vote.”

Sean Canney was asked on RTE Drivetime about the Western Rail Corridor on September 1st 2017 when the announcement was made about the opening of the M17/18 motorway. Mr Canney stated then ‘There is a national rail review going on, that is part of what I asked for in the programme for government to see if there are other areas of the western rail corridor that we can open. Let’s see what the rail review comes up with.’ – Sean Canney, Drivetime radio September 1st (link below)
    Sean Canney on Drivetime Sept 1 2017 link to RTE drivetime podcast

Brendan Quinn of the Western Rail Trail campaign said today: “We contacted the National Transport Authority last week about the National Rail Review report which Mr Canney clearly referred to on national radio. We received an email this week stating the report went to the NTA board on September 15th and will be with the Minister for Transport ‘any day soon’ (copy email attached)

Quinn continued "We are not privy to what the NTA National Rail Review says, but it is important that it gets released as soon as possible and without alteration or interference. This week we saw Galway County Council put a vote on hold for a greenway feasibility study on the closed railway, pending the publication of the report Sean Canney referred to on September 1st on national media. We are sure Galway council members will be keen to see what the National Rail Review says so they can fully evaluate the idea of a greenway feasibility study again. We can’t just keep waiting for more and more reports to come out – something needs to happen.”

Despite the delay at Galway County Council on whether a feasibility study should take place, the campaign welcomes the fact that 2 out of the 3 Galway East TDs, Ciaran Cannon FG and Anne Rabbitte FF are both publically in favour of the Greenway being built on the closed railway. Quinn said ‘Gaining the support of the two main parties in the Oireachtas is more significant in the long term than having one independent TD from Tuam, Sean Canney, trying to stop this tourism and jobs initiative.’

ENDS: body text 542 words

Contacts: MOD: Snip

Email sent to Western Rail Trail campaign from National Transport Authority on 26th September 2017:
    From: <Info@nationaltransport.ie> [Info@nationaltransport.ie] Sent: Tue 26/09/2017 15:43
    To: MOD: Snip
    Subject: RE: when will the public consultation report on Rail will be published NTA:00000053000001366
    Dear MOD: Snip
    We refer to your email on 21 September 2017 to the National Transport Authority regarding the rail consultation.
    The report was presented to the Authority Board on 15 September, and some minor additions are now being made following that meeting. It will then be forwarded to the Minister for Transport, Tourism, and Sport.
    Any decisions regarding publication will be made by the Minister.
    Yours sincerely
    National Transport Authority

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Thanks for letting us know, not been up there recently, doesn't matter about a meeting, Mayo county council are a bunch of bullies who think they can do what they want and will ignore public opinion in any event, they are being referred to An bord Pleanala for the way they have "rail roaded" pardon pun this project in. You think a public meeting will stop anything? Mayo coco won't listen to the people they didn't when they failed to consider nearly 300 submissions asking for a greenway on the county plan, As for the organisation behind the velo rail, I have heard a few choice words in Kiltimagh about that gang!

My point being there is no local Greenaway 'campaign' as such. A public meeting to outline what is actually gooing on might do your 'campaign' some good and clear up much of the misinformation form both sides. You're all buster as far as i can see. Oh and the local 'gang' behind the velorail project are mainly community activists from what i can see and good luck to them. At least they are actually doing something instead of just spouting off on social media

My point being there is no local Greenaway 'campaign' as such. A public meeting to outline what is actually gooing on might do your 'campaign' some good and clear up much of the misinformation form both sides. You're all buster as far as i can see. Oh and the local 'gang' behind the velorail project are mainly community activists from what i can see and good luck to them. At least they are actually doing something instead of just spouting off on social media

Those that want the greenway in Kiltimagh won't take on the IRD who are pushing the velorail through, you should do to Kiltimagh and dig out some of the history, to find out why. I am not going to engage any further on this issue, I suggest you take a trip to Kiltimagh and ask a few people about the community activists you refer to, and BTW for your information Mayo coco recieved 300 submissions on the county plan asking for greenway not one asking for the velo rail which the "community activists" are pushing at the behest of West on Track.

Re the other comment, You can accuse me of whatever you want on the anonymity of boards, I don' give a fiddlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭serfboard

My point being there is no local Greenaway 'campaign' as such.
    If you're referring to Kiltimagh you may be correct, I don't know enough to say otherwise.

In the case of Tuam however, there is a very strong local Greenway campaign and local businesses are seriously throwing their weight behind it - to such an extent that it would be correct to say that there is no local railway campaign - because there is no local support for it.

serfboard wrote: »
    If you're referring to Kiltimagh you may be correct, I don't know enough to say otherwise.

In the case of Tuam however, there is a very strong local Greenway campaign and local businesses are seriously throwing their weight behind it - to such an extent that it would be correct to say that there is no local railway campaign - because there is no local support for it.

That's for sure. I've rarely seen such anger with politicians as I saw in Tuam yesterday. I talked to several people and they were all very aware of the way that they were shafted in the Council meeting on Monday.
    It will be a brave anti-greenway politician who will show their face in the town in the near future.

• Advertisement

eastwest wrote: »
    That's for sure. I've rarely seen such anger with politicians as I saw in Tuam yesterday. I talked to several people and they were all very aware of the way that they were shafted in the Council meeting on Monday.
    It will be a brave anti-greenway politician who will show their face in the town in the near future.

You wait until the people of Tuam find out that the cllrs who voted against the greenway and in favour of the further can kicking delay of the Canney Report, each received an email today from Claremorris Chamber of Commerce (yes Claremorris Chamber in Mayo) congratulating them on what they had done. Maybe the TD for Tuam is actually in cognito a TD for Claremorris he seems to be representing the view of Claremorris Chamber of Commerce ahead of Tuam Chamber of Commerce and businesses which all openly support the greenway - here is an email that got forwarded to me today sent by Claremorris Chamber of commerce, it was sent to Cllr Jimmy Mclearn, I ask you what is going on in the west whatever happened to parish pump politics! Why are Galway cllrs doing more for Claremorris than for East Galway!
    Date: 28 September 2017 at 14:33:48 GMT+3
    To: <jmcclearn@cllr.galwaycoco.ie>
    Subject: Thank you for protecting the WRC
    Dear Councillor McClearn,

On behalf of Claremorris Chamber of Commerce, we welcome the decision of the elected members of Galway County Council to protect and preserve the Western Rail Corridor for development as critical infrastructure.

The outcome of this vote is pivotal to the future development of the west. Were the WRC to be ripped up for a greenway, it would be a most serious setback for the region at a time when an Atlantic Economic Corridor is being planned.

To develop the western region to its full potential, we need a spine of top quality infrastructure - including road, rail, broadband and electricity. The vote at Galway County Council yesterday is a vital part of ensuring that and no doubt, you will be aware that Mayo County Council is strongly of the same view.

You may also be aware that Claremorris has developed a 5 km greenway as a result of a strong community effort and with support from Mayo County Council. In fact, our town’s greenway is about to get a 3 km extension. Most important of all, it goes nowhere near the town’s railway which proves that a greenway can be developed without tearing up transport infrastructure.

We would be delighted to share with all the people of Tuam and their elected representatives our experience in developing this greenway as we believe there is huge potential for Tuam to develop a similar kind of amenity without interfering with the railway.

Yours sincerely,

Management Committee,
    Claremorris Chamber of Commerce.

Some nice coverage of the press release put out by the Western Rail Trail campaign in Western media today,

https://www.oceanfm.ie/2017/09/28/the-proposed-extension-of-the-western-rail-corridor-is-unlikely-to-happen/

and

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2017/09/27/4146400-new-motorway-spells-end-of-western-rail-corridor-extension/

On the day the media focussed on the good news about the M17/18 extension it was good to see western media pick up on another aspect of the news story that the motorway was one more nail in the coffin of the WRC.:D

You wait until the people of Tuam find out that the cllrs who voted against the greenway and in favour of the further can kicking delay of the Canney Report, each received an email today from Claremorris Chamber of Commerce (yes Claremorris Chamber in Mayo) congratulating them on what they had done. Maybe the TD for Tuam is actually in cognito a TD for Claremorris he seems to be representing the view of Claremorris Chamber of Commerce ahead of Tuam Chamber of Commerce and businesses which all openly support the greenway - here is an email that got forwarded to me today sent by Claremorris Chamber of commerce, it was sent to Cllr Jimmy Mclearn, I ask you what is going on in the west whatever happened to parish pump politics! Why are Galway cllrs doing more for Claremorris than for East Galway!
    That's unusual, to say the least. I'd say it won't go down very well in Tuam. People from Tuam elected councillors who then went on to support an organisation in another county, against the wishes of the people of Tuam!
    People are going to be really mad now.

eastwest wrote: »
    That's unusual, to say the least. I'd say it won't go down very well in Tuam. People from Tuam elected councillors who then went on to support an organisation in another county, against the wishes of the people of Tuam!
    People are going to be really mad now.

The Claremorris TD might yet be removed from Tuam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Those that want the greenway in Kiltimagh won't take on the IRD who are pushing the velorail through, you should do to Kiltimagh and dig out some of the history, to find out why. I am not going to engage any further on this issue, I suggest you take a trip to Kiltimagh and ask a few people about the community activists you refer to, and BTW for your information Mayo coco recieved 300 submissions on the county plan asking for greenway not one asking for the velo rail which the "community activists" are pushing at the behest of West on Track.

Re the other comment, You can accuse me of whatever you want on the anonymity of boards, I don' give a fiddlers.

I live in Kiltimagh and have done all my life so dont suggest to me that i dont know what im talking about, i think i might just have wee bit more inkling of what goes on here. As to y other point i just dont understand why you and like minded parties don't establish a proper campaign on the ground. There probably is widespread support for it but there is no vehicle to articulate t or for people to channel their energies into it

The Claremorris TD might yet be removed from Tuam.

He's doing a good job on that himself, but he will still delay the greenway by another year with his antics.
    He won't stop.it though, there is a huge momentum in Tuam and Athenry for this facility.

I live in Kiltimagh and have done all my life so dont suggest to me that i dont know what im talking about, i think i might just have wee bit more inkling of what goes on here. As to y other point i just dont understand why you and like minded parties don't establish a proper campaign on the ground. There probably is widespread support for it but there is no vehicle to articulate t or for people to channel their energies into it

I don't live in Kilitimagh, as you well know, If you want to set up a group, and I am not sure where your views lie on this based on your last sentence then by all means set up a local group, in the meantime the views of KM are confined to the internet - and a rather extensive petition asking for a greenway sitting on the desks of all the Mayo cllrs. I personally cannot set up a KM group, for my own reasons, mainly time and energy and the fact I don't live in KM. Regarding your earlier comment re writing on social media, well that is an interesting view, and if anything I have learnt from this campaign that social media is a useful channel for individuals to express views and opinions that were previously confined to the fourth estate, which ordinary people had limited access too. With no wish to solely blow my own trumpet, but I first started writing on this subject in a simple post on boards.ie on the original thread, I think my first post may have been over ten years ago. I had no idea it was going to balloon into what it has. I kept writing, people read and listened and thought about it. I then moved onto facebook with the SMG page, which has become a funnel of thought about this idea. I live in Sligo and single handed campaigned for a greenway to Sligo county council - that one man campaign resulted in the first crack in the armour of West on Track with the idea of the greenway written into the county plan back in 2011 which met with a lot of West on Track oppostition. I kept campaiging single handed in social media, print media and the constant written word to councillors, TDs and Ministers who I have met and discussed this project with. My persistence led to some ordinary good folk who liked what I was writing coming to me and saying we would like to set up a local organisation to fight for this idea. That was how the Sligo Greenway Co-op was formed. Another group with similar thinking was emerging in Tuam, they too had been reading what I was writing on the internet and we met up and shared ideas, the Tuam Greenway Group was set up. I cannot be the spearhead of these local groups but they share a common goal. In Mayo, so far we don't have a formal pressure group, there are internet groups who support the idea of a greenway and these are influential. Now if you want a group in KM go and form one, I cannot do it for you and the good people I have so far spoken to in KM for one reason or another don't have the energy time or inclination to take on the battle that will be required with a county council that simply won't engage on this idea. However I can assure there is simmering support for the idea in Mayo.

I am rambling now. For which I apologise. I am merely a conduit of ideas, offering an intellectual thought process on the idea of a greenway on the closed railway, because I genuinely believe it will be of huge benefit to the areas it passes through. My aim is to influence others. I think so far, I have done a reasonable job at that, and by the way when I say influence others, I mean influence good ordinary people, Councillors, TDs, Ministers and the media. As mentioned, patting my own back, I think I have done a pretty good job at it along with others whose names I won't mention, but who have been a resolute standfast help to me without whom I would not have stuck at it.

If you want to set a group up in KM please do so, I would be more than happy to come and give you a presentation and some guidance and then say get on with it. But please don't give out to me about what is happening in every village and town along the route. I do what I do. Write and influence, It seems you read what I say so thank you for that!

They are Gathering for the Greenway in Tuam on Saturday. Looking at their event stats I'd say they'll be hitting the 600's again and probably more. Businesses offering free refreshments! Two out of the three constituency TD'S will be speaking. Any chance Fr Ted & Dougal might make the trip down from Claremorris to try and spoil the party?

Muckyboots wrote: »
    They are Gathering for the Greenway in Tuam on Saturday. Looking at their event stats I'd say they'll be hitting the 600's again and probably more. Businesses offering free refreshments! Two out of the three constituency TD'S will be speaking. Any chance Fr Ted & Dougal might make the trip down from Claremorris to try and spoil the party?

Is the TD for Claremorris daring to show his face

• Advertisement

Muckyboots wrote: »

Is the TD for Claremorris daring to show his face
    Organising a counter rally the disused phone box. Wants them reinstated as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement