Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Muckyboots wrote: »
    Surprised that IE/CIE is no longer run by rail enthusiasts but by business people who try and turn a profit ? But you know that is their mandate as a semi-state company- what else can they do? It's the government's job to ensure effective and sustainable public transport, not theirs.

CIE has never been run by railway enthusiasts unlike NIR - which benefited from same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

Del.Monte wrote: »
    CIE has never been run by railway enthusiasts unlike NIR - which benefited from same.

https://nigreenways.com/about/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Surprised that IE/CIE is no longer run by rail enthusiasts but by business people who try and turn a profit ? But you know that is their mandate as a semi-state company- what else can they do? It's the government's job to ensure effective and sustainable public transport, not theirs.

who are these business people operating IE? the boss, david franks is a railway man for a start.
    CIE's transport operations for the most part will never be profitable. their mandate as a semi-state is to provide public transport. it is not IE'S job to be promoting bus services instead of rail services, but as part of integration with their rail services, along with their job of operating and promoting rail services..

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

When you mention ABC, don't forget to include local councillors Tom McHugh, Des Joyce and Billy Connelly. Wouldn't want people to forget those names, I know I won't.

I'm honestly getting angry at this point, at the bare faced cheek of this crowd.

Angry enough to start looking at what I can do to assist Greenway supporting politicians to be sure they get reelected.

I will do my best ..... good point thanks for reminding me!!!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

who are these business people operating IE? the boss, david franks is a railway man for a start.
    CIE's transport operations for the most part will never be profitable. their mandate as a semi-state is to provide public transport. it is not IE'S job to be promoting bus services instead of rail services, but as part of integration with their rail services, along with their job of operating and promoting rail services..

Maybe IE with a debt of 160m and issues with pay rises for heavily unionised workers may not want to seek capital funding to open an expensive railway that will require a large annual operating subvention that shadows a motorway that opened 9 days ago?

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    Maybe IE with a debt of 160m and issues with pay rises for heavily unionised workers may not want to seek capital funding to open an expensive railway that will require a large annual operating subvention that shadows a motorway that opened 9 days ago?

what IE might want or may not want isn't relevant, unless it's the betterment of the rail network as a whole. unions exist in most railway companies and most railway companies have motorways along part of their network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

what IE might want or may not want isn't relevant, unless it's the betterment of the rail network as a whole. unions exist in most railway companies and most railway companies have motorways along part of their network.
    And anyway, they have the LUAS in Dublin.

eastwest wrote: »
    And anyway, they have the LUAS in Dublin.

And the velorail in Kiltimagh.

http://seankyne.ie/western-rail-corridor-must-be-included-in-new-capital-plan/ Wants a Greenway in his constituency but not in his neighbours. A case of Imby-ism. "With over 380,000 annual passenger journeys the service has far exceeded initial estimates on which the original business case was based. The opening of the new M17/M18 Gort to Tuam motorway has led to some predicting the death of the Western Rail Corridor and others calling for a greenway to be installed. I believe the M17/M18 is an important milestone in the development of transport infrastructure in the West. I am in favour of greenways and believe they bring benefits to communities – to visitors and locals alike. However, I also believe that the way to enhance infrastructure in the West of Ireland is not by developing one at the expense of another. We need to deliver greater transport connectivity in the West. Developing the Western Rail Corridor northwards to Tuam and Sligo achieves this. Furthermore the sustainability and lower environmental impact of railways – and public transport in general – mean they are essential in helping us to meet our climate change obligations. The Western Rail Corridor is also an integral part of the Atlantic Economic Corridor, a Government-backed initiative aiming for more balanced regional development, which as Minister of State at the Department of Rural and Community Development, comes under my remit. The Western Rail Corridor is part of the solution and it needs to be in the Capital Plan"

http://seankyne.ie/western-rail-corridor-must-be-included-in-new-capital-plan/ Wants a Greenway in his constituency but not in his neighbours. A case of Imby-ism. "With over 380,000 annual passenger journeys the service has far exceeded initial estimates on which the original business case was based. The opening of the new M17/M18 Gort to Tuam motorway has led to some predicting the death of the Western Rail Corridor and others calling for a greenway to be installed. I believe the M17/M18 is an important milestone in the development of transport infrastructure in the West. I am in favour of greenways and believe they bring benefits to communities – to visitors and locals alike. However, I also believe that the way to enhance infrastructure in the West of Ireland is not by developing one at the expense of another. We need to deliver greater transport connectivity in the West. Developing the Western Rail Corridor northwards to Tuam and Sligo achieves this. Furthermore the sustainability and lower environmental impact of railways – and public transport in general – mean they are essential in helping us to meet our climate change obligations. The Western Rail Corridor is also an integral part of the Atlantic Economic Corridor, a Government-backed initiative aiming for more balanced regional development, which as Minister of State at the Department of Rural and Community Development, comes under my remit. The Western Rail Corridor is part of the solution and it needs to be in the Capital Plan"

He's a deluded fool, on lots of levels. Where is the funding to come from to build a railway, and to subsidise it heavily?
    And where did he get the idea that hauling empty trains around Galway is sustainable? Same place he got the inflated wrc figures from maybe.
    Galway will.never get a greenway with idiots like him on the council. They'll never get a railway either, but he can have a nice little earner in promising it.

• Advertisement

He's a deluded fool, on lots of levels. Where is the funding to come from to build a railway, and to subsidise it heavily?
    And where did he get the idea that hauling empty trains around Galway is sustainable? Same place he got the inflated wrc figures from maybe.
    Galway will.never get a greenway with idiots like him on the council. They'll never get a railway either, but he can have a nice little earner in promising it.
    His P. Sec. is Cllr Peter Feeney, WOT. Nuf said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

http://seankyne.ie/western-rail-corridor-must-be-included-in-new-capital-plan/ Wants a Greenway in his constituency but not in his neighbours. A case of Imby-ism. "With over 380,000 annual passenger journeys the service has far exceeded initial estimates on which the original business case was based. The opening of the new M17/M18 Gort to Tuam motorway has led to some predicting the death of the Western Rail Corridor and others calling for a greenway to be installed. I believe the M17/M18 is an important milestone in the development of transport infrastructure in the West. I am in favour of greenways and believe they bring benefits to communities – to visitors and locals alike. However, I also believe that the way to enhance infrastructure in the West of Ireland is not by developing one at the expense of another. We need to deliver greater transport connectivity in the West. Developing the Western Rail Corridor northwards to Tuam and Sligo achieves this. Furthermore the sustainability and lower environmental impact of railways – and public transport in general – mean they are essential in helping us to meet our climate change obligations. The Western Rail Corridor is also an integral part of the Atlantic Economic Corridor, a Government-backed initiative aiming for more balanced regional development, which as Minister of State at the Department of Rural and Community Development, comes under my remit. The Western Rail Corridor is part of the solution and it needs to be in the Capital Plan"[/QUOTE]

BRILLIANT NEWS FOR THE WEST OF IRELAND!!!

voz es wrote: »

BRILLIANT NEWS FOR THE WEST OF IRELAND!!![/QUOTE]

Those are not the true figures for the wrc, they are grossly inflated. They include figures for ennis Limerick and Athenry Galway, both lines that were already there before the white elephant ennis athenry line was built.
    If kyne and his wot friends want to persist with this nonsense, why don't they come up with a source of funding? What do they suggest, that the tax cuts for paye earners in this week's budget be reversed next year to pay the capital cost? That a special toll be applied to the M17 to subsidise the running costs?

Those are not the true figures for the wrc, they are grossly inflated. They include figures for ennis Limerick and Athenry Galway, both lines that were already there before the white elephant ennis athenry line was built.
    If kyne and his wot friends want to persist with this nonsense, why don't they come up with a source of funding? What do they suggest, that the tax cuts for paye earners in this week's budget be reversed next year to pay the capital cost? That a special toll be applied to the M17 to subsidise the running costs?[/QUOTE]

the figures are accurate. the service is galway to limerick, so of course it's going to include people going from limerick to ennis or athenry to galway if they board those trains. apparently there is also decent through numbers from limerick to galway.

the figures are accurate. the service is galway to limerick, so of course it's going to include people going from limerick to ennis or athenry to galway if they board those trains. apparently there is also decent through numbers from limerick to galway.
    Accurate or not the WRC south is still flagged for closure. It won't be closed but Kyne is simply throwing a sop to his Connemara councillors. You could be forgiven for suspecting that his statement is part of the behind the scenes deal that allowed them to postpone the Greenway motion. It's gutter politics and downright dishonest. He knows full well it won't be in the Capital Plan, but it takes the heat off his cronies for a few weeks in the hope that the Athenry/Tuam Greenway lobby might throw in the towel. They have done the opposite, thankfully.

If kyne and his wot friends want to persist with this nonsense, why don't they come up with a source of funding? What do they suggest, that the tax cuts for paye earners in this week's budget be reversed next year to pay the capital cost? That a special toll be applied to the M17 to subsidise the running costs?

the figures are accurate. the service is galway to limerick, so of course it's going to include people going from limerick to ennis or athenry to galway if they board those trains. apparently there is also decent through numbers from limerick to galway.[/QUOTE]

That's fantasy economics. If the money hadn't been spent on ennis athenry, most of those figures would still have been achieved. If wot can't see this, it's no wonder they are still bleating on about building another white elephant north of Athenry.
    Everybody can see this reality except the little Claremorris cabal, and no government in its right mind will repeat the ennis athenry debacle. However with people like Canney, kyne and O'Mahony holding positions of influence, all that is facing Galway and Mayo is stalemate and rejection of investment in infrastructure -- investment that counties like waterford are happy to grab.
    The only light at the end of the tunnel in the west is the move by sligo to use their brains and grab what is available, although WOT will slow that down for as long as the can too.
    It's no wonder the west lags behind the rest of the country.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If so can we apply the same logic to Connolly-Rosslare? The many millions using the line mean we should have 10 minute frequency between Gorey and Rosslare?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

Everybody can see this reality except the little Claremorris cabal, and no government in its right mind will repeat the ennis athenry debacle. However with people like Canney, kyne and O'Mahony holding positions of influence, all that is facing Galway and Mayo is stalemate and rejection of investment in infrastructure -- investment that counties like waterford are happy to grab.
    The only light at the end of the tunnel in the west is the move by sligo to use their brains and grab what is available, although WOT will slow that down for as long as the can too.
    It's no wonder the west lags behind the rest of the country.

There is a lack of sense in the West that damages them and they seek to blame the 'Dublin Government' instead. Look at the Apple centre in Athenry. The locals objected to a facility which would be making of their community. The sister facility in Denmark announced the same time and up and running. It's very likely that if movement does not happen soon Apple will not build the centre in Athenry. It would be like people in Dublin chasing Google and Facebook out of the city.

They are their own worst enemies. Same reason they think a single track train wibbly wobbly train line to no where is salvation while a cycleway which will bring in millions is a bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Claude Wilton

ClovenHoof wrote: »
    There is a lack of sense in the West that damages them and they seek to blame the 'Dublin Government' instead. Look at the Apple centre in Athenry. The locals objected to a facility which would be making of their community. The sister facility in Denmark announced the same time and up and running. It's very likely that if movement does not happen soon Apple will not build the centre in Athenry. It would be like people in Dublin chasing Google and Facebook out of the city.

They are their own worst enemies. Same reason they think a single track train wibbly wobbly train line to no where is salvation while a cycleway which will bring in millions is a bad idea.

After the uprising of the 17th of June
    The Secretary of the Writers' Union
    Had leaflets distributed in the Stalinallee
    Stating that the people
    Had forfeited the confidence of the government
    And could win it back only
    By redoubled efforts. Would it not be easier
    In that case for the government
    To dissolve the people
    And elect another?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ah yes, those uneducated apes in the West, tis like a jungle round these parts.

Jaysus, your post is like an extract from a Nazi Propaganda newspaper.

• Advertisement

To be fair to the people of Athenry, most of them want the Apple project to go ahead, just a couple of people have managed to stop.it.
    Same with the greenway, most people want to see it happen but a small group of people have managed to stop it.
    There's a bit of a pattern here.

To be fair to the people of Athenry, most of them want the Apple project to go ahead, just a couple of people have managed to stop.it.
    Same with the greenway, most people want to see it happen but a small group of people have managed to stop it.
    There's a bit of a pattern here.

Yes. Usually a priest and a few 'Real GAA Men' are involved everytime.

Yes. Usually a priest and a few 'Real GAA Men' are involved everytime.

Or a case of a minority riding roughshod over the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

ClovenHoof wrote:
    If a multinational wants a train network from their data centre to their head offices or good transport links for their employees we'll get them one, sure it's only E13billion were taxing them apparently..
    Anyway the Dubs won the all-ireland so all bets are off now!;)
    ClovenHoof wrote:

You're apartheid to cycling Vs trains is admirable, reread the article, it said a focus towards a diversity of tranport amenities along the western corridor, meaning both greenways and railway, what's so wrong with that? Or do you just loath the sense of "imperiality" trains represented still?

hytrogen wrote: »
    If a multinational wants a train network from their data centre to their head offices or good transport links for their employees we'll get them one, sure it's only E13billion were taxing them apparently..
    Anyway the Dubs won the all-ireland so all bets are off now!;)

You're apartheid to cycling Vs trains is admirable, reread the article, it said a focus towards a diversity of tranport amenities along the western corridor, meaning both greenways and railway, what's so wrong with that? Or do you just loath the sense of "imperiality" trains represented still?

It's cycling and walking versus nothing, trains are simply not part of the picture.
    The continuing naive belief by a vocal minority that trains will appear is the core of the problem.

The WRC supporters are at the stage of implying anyone against them to be Nazis or somehow imposing 'aparthide' upon them?

This is the mentality that doomed them from the start. The only thing that superficial victim complexes generate is isolation and failure.

It is easier than implementing proper planning and making decisions that consider long term sustainabilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The WRC supporters are at the stage of implying anyone against them to be Nazis or somehow imposing 'aparthide' upon them?

This is the mentality that doomed them from the start. The only thing that superficial victim complexes generate is isolation and failure.

It is easier than implementing proper planning and making decisions that consider long term sustainabilty.

Ah here can we have less of the patronising attitude please? I don't support the WRC, most certainly not any section after Claremorris, however your insults are quite sad really.

You can't just say anything you like if someone doesn't agree with your god handed mentality!

A bit of calm and facts here I think. Back in 2013 when SF/WOT cllr Gerry "not up for discussion" Murray was interviewed for Ear for ground, if my memory serves me right the programme was recorded in the summer for screening in the Autumn winter series of 2013/14. Aside from his famous "the western rail corridor is not on the table and is not up for discussion" Gerry nufd Murray also referred in that interview to EU funding that would be coming through in the next few years and news from the EU to this effect, he was a bit premature in his predictions. Gerry nufd Murray was referring to the European TEN=T Transport strategy which at the time was very much up for discussion, the final EU TEN-T strategy was approved by the EU parliament and accepted by 27 nation state governments in November 2013, Gerry nufd Murray was being interviewed a few months before this final bombshell hit West on Track. European TEN=T Transport strategy did not include any plans to fund or support the Western Rail Corridor. I have laboured on about this point many times, in a way it is the whole crux of the matter; it really makes no difference what the claims and counter claims are about numbers using Galway Limerick, It really makes no difference if Coca- Cola add ten more freight trains a week to the payload from Ballina, the simple thing that has to be accepted is that the Western Rail Corridor - due to the fact it was excluded from the extensive list of projects that will get support in this state for transport infrastructure.

The EU MEPs for the West of Ireland failed West on Track miserably on this count. At the time I wrote a short paper on this subject for all the cllrs in the west, it went to all of them, I am minded to update it and send it out again. It is attached to this post. Arguments and insults can go back and forth, this whole thing has been scrutinised at Government and EU structural funding level already. The simple fact of the matter is if the Independent alliance TD for Claremorris, Sean "Anyone but Canney" Canney even got Hans Christian Anderson to rise from the dead to write a new Western Rail Corridor Report, with fairy stories he would have us believe about freight and thousands of commuters from Tuam, it will make no difference, his fairy tales of the west would have to be sold to Europe. He would have to persuade central Govt here in Dublin that the maybe one or two capital transfer projects we might get part funding on from Europe each year, that we as a country to make a submission for funding for a project that is not included in TEN-T and that such a project is more important than say, the N25, N20, N17, N16 etc.

The simple point is it is not going to happen for one simple reason. Money and lack of it.

Read this again please and begin to understand the realities of life. I wrote it four years ago so references to some of the MEPs is redundant as they have since lost their seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Claude Wilton

westtip wrote: »
    A bit of calm and facts here I think. Back in 2013 when SF/WOT cllr Gerry "not up for discussion" Murray was interviewed for Ear for ground, if my memory serves me right the programme was recorded in the summer for screening in the Autumn winter series of 2013/14. Aside from his famous "the western rail corridor is not on the table and is not up for discussion" Gerry nufd Murray also referred in that interview to EU funding that would be coming through in the next few years and news from the EU to this effect, he was a bit premature in his predictions. Gerry nufd Murray was referring to the European TEN=T Transport strategy which at the time was very much up for discussion, the final EU TEN-T strategy was approved by the EU parliament and accepted by 27 nation state governments in November 2013, Gerry nufd Murray was being interviewed a few months before this final bombshell hit West on Track. European TEN=T Transport strategy did not include any plans to fund or support the Western Rail Corridor. I have laboured on about this point many times, in a way it is the whole crux of the matter; it really makes no difference what the claims and counter claims are about numbers using Galway Limerick, It really makes no difference if Coca- Cola add ten more freight trains a week to the payload from Ballina, the simple thing that has to be accepted is that the Western Rail Corridor - due to the fact it was excluded from the extensive list of projects that will get support in this state for transport infrastructure.

The EU MEPs for the West of Ireland failed West on Track miserably on this count. At the time I wrote a short paper on this subject for all the cllrs in the west, it went to all of them, I am minded to update it and send it out again. It is attached to this post. Arguments and insults can go back and forth, this whole thing has been scrutinised at Government and EU structural funding level already. The simple fact of the matter is if the Independent alliance TD for Claremorris, Sean "Anyone but Canney" Canney even got Hans Christian Anderson to rise from the dead to write a new Western Rail Corridor Report, with fairy stories he would have us believe about freight and thousands of commuters from Tuam, it will make no difference, his fairy tales of the west would have to be sold to Europe. He would have to persuade central Govt here in Dublin that the maybe one or two capital transfer projects we might get part funding on from Europe each year, that we as a country to make a submission for funding for a project that is not included in TEN-T and that such a project is more important than say, the N25, N20, N17, N16 etc.

The simple point is it is not going to happen for one simple reason. Money and lack of it.

Read this again please and begin to understand the realities of life. I wrote it four years ago so references to some of the MEPs is redundant as they have since lost their seats.

What is the bigger point then? Keeping trains from running from Tuam to Galway, or putting a greenway over it? Those of us with long memories remember how the original WRC thread took a very long time to put its focus onto the greenway option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Dargan Bridge

What is the bigger point then? Keeping trains from running from Tuam to Galway, or putting a greenway over it? Those of us with long memories remember how the original WRC thread took a very long time to put its focus onto the greenway option.

The real point is stop the railway at all costs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement