Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

marno21 wrote: »
    If we have money to spend on heavy rail it should be used firstly to connect the rail lines into Dublin, and secondly to electrify the lines and increase capacity on these four lines. All four are several congested and/or don't have proper city centre access or onward connections. This will cost around €3.5bn so will take quite some funding.

It's immeasurable how much more beneficial that would be to the country compared to a 95% empty slow moving infrequent requiring vast per passenger operating subsidies between small towns in rural Ireland.

As for "growing the cities", you aren't going to grow any cities by connecting Tuam and Athenry with a rail link. If anything it'll do the opposite by encouraging more people to live in low density satellite towns in Co. Galway.

You'd have some argument here if you could display all the great things that the Western Rail Corridor Phase 1 has done for places like Gort, Ardrahan and Craughwell.

I'd wager the motorway has done much more for those towns by bypassing them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

If we have money to spend on heavy rail it should be used firstly to connect the rail lines into Dublin, and secondly to electrify the lines and increase capacity on these four lines. All four are several congested and/or don't have proper city centre access or onward connections. This will cost around €3.5bn so will take quite some funding.

It's immeasurable how much more beneficial that would be to the country compared to a 95% empty slow moving infrequent requiring vast per passenger operating subsidies between small towns in rural Ireland.

As for "growing the cities", you aren't going to grow any cities by connecting Tuam and Athenry with a rail link. If anything it'll do the opposite by encouraging more people to live in low density satellite towns in Co. Galway.

You'd have some argument here if you could display all the great things that the Western Rail Corridor Phase 1 has done for places like Gort, Ardrahan and Craughwell.

It is clear that the first phase of this line hasn't filled Gort with tourists, or even added a single job, but the response by rail enthusiasts to this question is normally that the whole line to Derry will have to be built before the effects show.
    Which of course is nonsense, and no government in the future will fall for that one. The first phase was built in extraordinary times, in the middle of a bubble economy managed by people who just wanted the boom to be boomier, and who had no concept of reality. That won't happen again, and we need to get used to that and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Here is a nice one on New Zealand economy's growth, note the statement that ''Expenditure on road and rail infrastructure were key drivers of investment in infrastructure which saw its strongest increase since 2007''

Once again the word wide trend of rail expansion is at odds with the bicycle lane concept.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11963950

Urban Transport Body - United Kingdom

THE TRANSFORMATIONAL BENEFITS OF INVESTING IN REGIONAL RAIL

''In Destination Growth we showed how regional rail services carry more than
    three times the numbers of passengers than the much higher profile long
    distance (Inter-City) services and play an important role in their local and
    regional economies and by extension, the national economy''

''Regional services are already playing a vital role in our local and
    regional economies, but could be playing an even bigger role
    with the right sort of investment''

http://www.urbantransportgroup.org/system/files/general-docs/The%20Transformational%20Benefits%20of%20Investing%20in%20Regional%20Rail.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

voz es wrote: »
    Urban Transport Body - United Kingdom

THE TRANSFORMATIONAL BENEFITS OF INVESTING IN REGIONAL RAIL

''In Destination Growth we showed how regional rail services carry more than
    three times the numbers of passengers than the much higher profile long
    distance (Inter-City) services and play an important role in their local and
    regional economies and by extension, the national economy''

''Regional services are already playing a vital role in our local and
    regional economies, but could be playing an even bigger role
    with the right sort of investment''

http://www.urbantransportgroup.org/system/files/general-docs/The%20Transformational%20Benefits%20of%20Investing%20in%20Regional%20Rail.pdf

Comparing Ireland with the UK is a fixation that needs to be cast aside. These case studies are simply not relevant to Ireland. One simple word: Population, we haven't got it along the route of the WRC and a railway is not going to build the critical mass to justify it. When oh when will you realise you are pushing water uphill?

• Advertisement

the economics of using an existing railway are entirely different to those of rebuilding a moribund lightly laid indirect railway. The investment needed to re-open this line or upgrade lines such as Limerick - Ballybrophy are never going to out-weigh the benefits of investing in commuter services or inter-city.

Here is a nice one on New Zealand economy's growth, note the statement that ''Expenditure on road and rail infrastructure were key drivers of investment in infrastructure which saw its strongest increase since 2007''

Once again the word wide trend of rail expansion is at odds with the bicycle lane concept.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11963950
    Funny then how one of New Zealand's biggest success stories in recent years has been the New Zealand Rail Trail, built on the closed railway from Dunedin to Central Otago. Despite some calls to reopen the railway, it was lifted and the trackbed levelled to create the trail. It now supports one job per kilometer, prompting the government to invest in a lot more mileage of similar trails.

I'm sorry I cant be on this more to put down all the ridiculous mud slinging but here is a few rebuttals to the most recent straw clutches:

Anti rail posters I will keep coming with Facts, links and publications and you guys keep coming with fluffy lines meaning little or nothing factually like 'biggest success stories'.

Why don't you folks fight for a bicycle route/greenway in Ballycroy national park?

I will come back again with more links for the readers. Ireland has plenty of more options for bicycle routes, as an earlier poster drew to, there is plenty of room for both in Ireland, especially in the west. Once such county being Mayo where the Mayo advertisers jobs section is overflowing with jobs in Galway City and a few low paying and/or part time jobs in the county its self. We cant expect any different if we don't fight for our infrastructure.

Regarding a poster dismissing of my highlighting UK studies, never mind them, they know there is plenty of data from our nearest neighbor and that many regions of the united kingdom have very similar population densities. Anybody been to Scotand or Wales and you will be well aware of its rural beauty.

Always notice in my posts that there is a world wide yet individual national effort to increase rail, it is not a thing of the past, but relevant now for GDP growth, and it will be critical for sustainability in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Wagon360

Spoken like a grade A rail nostalgist.

This is a brilliant mentality from the 1930s. A slow moving train through very low density countryside does nothing for Ireland's climate change targets and will not be conducive to population expansion.

No matter how much you believe it. The world has moved on. It's time for you to do the same.

I’m amazed to think that EU emissions targets actually existed in the 1930s. Perhaps you think I’m living in the 2030s? Because that’s what we have to plan for.

The world has indeed moved on, most other countries recognise that rail provides a greener and faster method of transport. Coupled with all of that we need to plan ahead and use the facilities we already have rather than squandering them on a cycle path that will never be given back to a railway.

We need to get ourselves out of the 1950s mindset that roads alone will be sufficient for our future transport needs. We need to plan towns rather than one off rural developments and we need the infrastructure in place to back all of that up.

As to your crack about slow moving trains; repeating false straw man arguments doesn’t make your case stand up. No one intends to plan a slow moving train never mind eastwest’s Favourite one about pushing air around the place. I know whatever I say here will not change anyone’s anti rail sentiments; but it’s time a different point of view was also heard on this thread.

Isambard wrote: »
    the economics of using an existing railway are entirely different to those of rebuilding a moribund lightly laid indirect railway. The investment needed to re-open this line or upgrade lines such as Limerick - Ballybrophy are never going to out-weigh the benefits of investing in commuter services or inter-city.

Athenry-Tuam is not laid as a light railway. And in any case if the line was reopened from Tuam to Claremorris all of the line from Athenry onwards would be relaid to heavy rail standards.

• Advertisement

eastwest wrote: »
    Funny then how one of New Zealand's biggest success stories in recent years has been the New Zealand Rail Trail, built on the closed railway from Dunedin to Central Otago. Despite some calls to reopen the railway, it was lifted and the trackbed levelled to create the trail. It now supports one job per kilometer, prompting the government to invest in a lot more mileage of similar trails.

One job per kilometre. I think you’ve effectively killed any argument for replacing the potential of a strategic railway line against a cycle path.

westtip wrote: »
    If you want balanced regional development lets try this idea:

One of the areas that the Western Rail advocates are arguing for now is that the WRC should be part of the new concept called the Atlantic Economic Corridor.

So here is a balanced view on this idea:

Upgrade the road from Cork to Letterkenny so it is seamless and safe - as we will all be driving electric cars in probably less than ten years, this will have zero effect on emissions, providing our energy is sustainable and not from Carbon burning.

Take the Rail Corridor and use it for economic development. Using the gas from the Corrib run a gas pipeline along its entire length to bring natural gas to the towns along the way, not for domestic use but industrial food processing, natural gas is the preferred energy source of food processors and the arrival of natural gas in the 1960s and 70s in the UK revolutionised food processing there. This would allow our agribusinesses to add value to our fantastic raw materials

Put industrial strength fibre optic cabling along the route, with the transatlantic line landing in Killala this would make the West of Ireland a nanosecond with industrial strength conectivity with north America - think cloud computing opportunities data center opportunities etc. creating high technology skill opportunities

Create a linear wind farm along the route with a wind pylon every kilometre or mile or so all connected via underground cabling.

and of course add a greenway to help the tourist trade and create low impact and not very high technically skilled jobs but still jobs in the hospitality industry.

You see Wagon 360 the issue is not really about the railway, that is not going to happen it is about how we utilize the publicly owned strip of land. I am not anti rail, I don't reign supreme on this thread, I don't bully politicians but what I do do is try rather frustratingly to get this kind of message across.

This is my thinking about what the Atlantic Economic corridor should be and what could be achieved for the greater good of the greater number along the route of the Western Rail Trail.

Thanks for this westtip. I don’t agree with a lot of the content but I appreciate the clear argument.

Rural railway lines have really had their day, that was when the road infrastructure was awful, now with good roads running parallel to almost all these rail lines, the lightly used ones simply have fallen by the wayside. I don't think anything will revive them.

What is needed though is a re-evaluation of the freight facilities at Dublin port and at strategic locations around the country that could act as railfreight hubs , A bit like Daventry in the UK does for railfreight that comes in from Europe.
    Doing so may make it viable to run freight trains from the docks to terminals in a couple of locations in the North, South & west of the country, distribution warehouses can be located at these sites to then trans ship to trucks for the final destination. The goods would probably arrive pre-sorted with separate containers for each of these destinations so no extra packing and unpacking will be needed at Dublin port.

But before any of this could be contemplated, the Rail lines in and around Dublin need to be improved for commuters first.

Wagon360 wrote: »
    Thanks for this westtip. I don’t agree with a lot of the content but I appreciate the clear argument.

What I find very ironic is the the amount of potentials they are highlighting here but, refuse to acknowledge the potential for modern rail.

Rural railway lines have really had their day, that was when the road infrastructure was awful, now with good roads running parallel to almost all these rail lines, the lightly used ones simply have fallen by the wayside. I don't think anything will revive them.

What is needed though is a re-evaluation of the freight facilities at Dublin port and at strategic locations around the country that could act as railfreight hubs , A bit like Daventry in the UK does for railfreight that comes in from Europe.
    Doing so may make it viable to run freight trains from the docks to terminals in a couple of locations in the North, South & west of the country, distribution warehouses can be located at these sites to then trans ship to trucks for the final destination. The goods would probably arrive pre-sorted with separate containers for each of these destinations so no extra packing and unpacking will be needed at Dublin port.

But before any of this could be contemplated, the Rail lines in and around Dublin need to be improved for commuters first.

Your living in Athlone according to your profile, you have rail links to Dublin, Ballina, Westport and Galway. Your town has grown on the back of it. Look at the students getting of the train any given Sunday in Athlone and you will see the life it brings to the place. So I would ask you to loook at that perspective. I do agree that there will be a lot of benefits to looking at the freight potentials of our rail network.

Yes there is an immediate need to get Dublin commuter rail sorted out: we need quad tracking from Clongriffin to Connolly, we need the Maynooth line electrified and most important of all we need Dart Underground. Having said that the Foynes line is becoming a reality and there is an increase of freight from Ballina to Dublin and Waterford. The line is quite congested at Kildare and of course with the bulk of lines being single there are restrictions as to how many trains can run at any time. Running the Ballina - Waterford freight trains via Tuam and Athenry would allow more passenger trains to run in Mayo for instance.

Your living in Athlone according to your profile, you have rail links to Dublin, Ballina, Westport and Galway. Your town has grown on the back of it. Look at the students getting of the train any given Sunday in Athlone and you will see the life it brings to the place.
    Yes, the point I'm making is that rail needs to be re-evaluated in the sense of transport needs of today and the future. I did mention that Rail lines need to be improved in and around Dublin first as that location is the hub of any rail network, present and future.

It has to be expanded first so that it is able to take any extra traffic that a freight service could generate if successfully implemented. The Mullingar - Athlone line has a far greater chance of reopening than the the WRC due to it being a key link in the East-West rail infrastructure if the freight service from Dublin port is ever to be successful.

Railfreight is going to be about the import & export of containers, most likely via the Rail lines that China are heavily investing in that could see a major port on the western side of the UK receiving freight form China via the Chunnel to be shipped to Dublin then via rail to Galway for example to redistribution warehouses.

There is little chance of reviving internal freight between small western towns, the costs simply don't add up when the lorry can simply stay on the road for another couple of hours as opposed to two lorries, two transfers of container and a scheduled freight train.

Yes there is an immediate need to get Dublin commuter rail sorted out: we need quad tracking from Clongriffin to Connolly, we need the Maynooth line electrified and most important of all we need Dart Underground. Having said that the Foynes line is becoming a reality and there is an increase of freight from Ballina to Dublin and Waterford. The line is quite congested at Kildare and of course with the bulk of lines being single there are restrictions as to how many trains can run at any time. Running the Ballina - Waterford freight trains via Tuam and Athenry would allow more passenger trains to run in Mayo for instance.
    Having a couple of sections of double track between Portarlington and Athlone would greatly assist in increasing the capacity of the western routes, more passing loops would be the solution to congestion to the west of Athlone.

There is little chance of reviving internal freight between small western towns, the costs simply don't add up when the lorry can simply stay on the road for another couple of hours as opposed to two lorries, two transfers of container and a scheduled freight train.

Let’s be clear; no one is talking about that kind of goods traffic. It’s all about carrying containers, bulk materials and biomass to and from the ports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

Let’s be clear; no one is talking about that kind of goods traffic. It’s all about carrying containers, bulk materials and biomass to and from the ports.

Other than "biomass" you have not identified one potential source of new cargo. If your gig is reducing carbon emissions you'll know that the key principle with anaerobic digesters is that they source their materials from as close to the plant as possible, often built within the compounds of food processors to utilise the waste material there rather than having to transport it. If you are pinning your hopes on wagons of imported rot slowly pottering up the west coast from Foynes to Tuam you are backing the wrong horse for multiple reasons. Most likely, and most sensibly, a large digester will be located close to the port and all the indications are that this will be the case - if the local's objections are ignored, of course.

• Advertisement

One job per kilometre. I think you’ve effectively killed any argument for replacing the potential of a strategic railway line against a cycle path.

As distinct from the no jobs that the old line was supporting in Otago, or the ones that are relying on a rusting line in the west of Ireland.
    There's reality, and 'in an ideal world'. In the latter, there would be lots of industry in the west, employing the people who aren't there and using the skills they don't have. The reality of a scattered, low-density population and no likelihood of any of that changing means that a railway on Athenry-Collooney isn't going to find investment, except as a greenway for now at least.
    If you want a reason why that investment isn't going to happen, look at Ennis Athenry -- described as one of the worst investments by the state in recent years. Strip out the bits at both ends that existed before the WRC was built and there is no traffic on it. When it closes each year due to floods, nobody complains.
    They simply won't repeat that mistake, regardless of whatever amateur reports are used to spin it like it isn't. The smartest thing for the politicians to do with this route is to go for a long distance greenway, linking up to the proposed Collooney-Enniskillen route, that will feed tourists from the developing northern Ireland Greenway Network into the west of Ireland. That will give an immediate win in terms of infrastructural investment, and will help breathe some life into the dying corpses of the towns along the route. If that can be achieved, it may be possible to piggyback a train service on the back of greatly increased visitor numbers in the future, but blocking the available investment based on unachievable and unrealistic dreams isn't working for the west.

That freight isn't there, as proved by the WDC report on rail freight in the west. The best scenario they could come up with, even by stretching credibility to the limit, was an extra train a day, hardly an avalanche, and needing to be looked at in the context of IR trialling longer trains on the existing line.
    No government is going to spend very scarce resources building a second freight line to serve a rural county like Mayo, that's the reality regardless of what politicians promise.

Muckyboots wrote: »
    Other than "biomass" you have not identified one potential source of new cargo. If your gig is reducing carbon emissions you'll know that the key principle with anaerobic digesters is that they source their materials from as close to the plant as possible, often built within the compounds of food processors to utilise the waste material there rather than having to transport it. If you are pinning your hopes on wagons of imported rot slowly pottering up the west coast from Foynes to Tuam you are backing the wrong horse for multiple reasons. Most likely, and most sensibly, a large digester will be located close to the port and all the indications are that this will be the case - if the local's objections are ignored, of course.

First of all, I don't need to provide a full costed business case or consultancy report in these posts. I am of course open to being paid to do so!

Why are you talking about trains pottering? You should know if a line is rebuilt it will be built to provide at least 110 km/h running for freight or 130 km/h for passenger running which isn't pottering. Railways genreally offer a higher speed than road and don't suffer from the congestion issues that plague road schemes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hugh Jampton

As distinct from the no jobs that the old line was supporting in Otago, or the ones that are relying on a rusting line in the west of Ireland.
    There's reality, and 'in an ideal world'. In the latter, there would be lots of industry in the west, employing the people who aren't there and using the skills they don't have. The reality of a scattered, low-density population and no likelihood of any of that changing means that a railway on Athenry-Collooney isn't going to find investment, except as a greenway for now at least.
    If you want a reason why that investment isn't going to happen, look at Ennis Athenry -- described as one of the worst investments by the state in recent years. Strip out the bits at both ends that existed before the WRC was built and there is no traffic on it. When it closes each year due to floods, nobody complains.
    They simply won't repeat that mistake, regardless of whatever amateur reports are used to spin it like it isn't. The smartest thing for the politicians to do with this route is to go for a long distance greenway, linking up to the proposed Collooney-Enniskillen route, that will feed tourists from the developing northern Ireland Greenway Network into the west of Ireland. That will give an immediate win in terms of infrastructural investment, and will help breathe some life into the dying corpses of the towns along the route. If that can be achieved, it may be possible to piggyback a train service on the back of greatly increased visitor numbers in the future, but blocking the available investment based on unachievable and unrealistic dreams isn't working for the west.

Apart from the Comber Greenway and a short stretch beside the Foyle Valley Railway - closed for health and safety reasons because of the proximity of the cycle track -, the National Cycle Network in Northern Ireland and its overspill into Donegal are all on quiet roads and dedicated tracks that were never railways in the first place. These have worked well for nearly twenty years and are extensively used by cycle tourists. I have seen aspirational maps for both Northern Ireland and Ireland as a whole which aspire to cannibalise dismantled railways - but if anything similar was ever done for railway proposals it would be dismissed as crayonism.

The actual numbers on the Galway-Limerick rail route are far larger than the spin being bandied about here. Have a look at http://connachttribune.ie/galway-limerick-passenger-hike-leads-renewed-calls-extension-222/ for the real figures, based on the most recent rail census.

Regarding the strategic long term of the west the difference between you and I is clear; you are looking at the west as it is. I am looking at the potential and how we develop that potential. Tourism is important but to create a sustainable way of life for people we need to bring jobs and development. We can continue as a nation by growing and growing Dublin or we can plan ahead and build up the west.

The actual numbers on the Galway-Limerick rail route are far larger than the spin being bandied about here. Have a look at http://connachttribune.ie/galway-limerick-passenger-hike-leads-renewed-calls-extension-222/ for the real figures, based on the most recent rail census.

Regarding the strategic long term of the west the difference between you and I is clear; you are looking at the west as it is. I am looking at the potential and how we develop that potential. Tourism is important but to create a sustainable way of life for people we need to bring jobs and development. We can continue as a nation by growing and growing Dublin or we can plan ahead and build up the west.

Galway is already growing - but unless that growth is dealt with in a far smarter way than the American-like sprawl and crawl than it is, who will want to live and do business there in twenty years time? We will be looking at bypasses of bypasses then.

RE: Ballina Waterford Line, very good point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

You should know if a line is rebuilt it will be built to provide at least 110 km/h running for freight or 130 km/h for passenger running which isn't pottering. Railways genreally offer a higher speed than road and don't suffer from the congestion issues that plague road schemes.

There are 13 road crossings between Tuam and Claremorris and two private dwellings whose back garden now hosts the trackbed. It's been posted on this thread previously that this would necessitate a max speed of 50km between these points. I wait to be stand corrected but can't unfortunately offer you a fee this time.

Muckyboots wrote: »
    There are 13 road crossings between Tuam and Claremorris and two private dwellings whose back garden now hosts the trackbed. It's been posted on this thread previously that this would necessitate a max speed of 50km between these points. I wait to be stand corrected but can't unfortunately offer you a fee this time.

If they do eventually rebuild then they might as well deal with the crossings as well. Now there’s a free bit of consultancy ;)

• Advertisement

the "actual figures" need to be the usership of the Ennis to Athenry section to give a clear picture. Otherwise it would be like issuing figures for usership of the Tuam to Galway line today which would include the Athenry to Galway figures which would make up 100% of the total.
    Passenger figures which include the pre-existing passenger numbers for Limerick to Ennis and Athenry to Galway do not show the correct position of the WRC and quite probably include the passengers on the Galway to Dublin Trains too as they no doubt could be regarded as travelling part of the route.!.
    Thus those figures are inflated, but even given that, it is quiet enough even though a line between two cities could be expected to be busier than one from a small City to a small Town
    Jobs and development you say? Can you point at even one job created by opening the southern section of the line?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement