Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The surface of the Waterford Greenway disimproves as you go along. Not significantly though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hugh Jampton

Great and all that the Greenway is, I thought it a bit sterile, it's almost as if everything *must* be a carbon-copy, neatly surfaced Greenway with concrete fences, galvanised gates and PC EU compliant signage. It contrasted with a few greenways I cycled/walked in Australia where there was a minimal amount of intrusive 'landscaping' if you could call it that.
    It's nice to walk in places where trees encroach without fear of being flattened by Tour de France wannabes going full belt. The rail trail around Shillelagh is an example of this. Variety and all that.

Indeed. I prefer quiet cycling on the back roads between Derry and Inishowen. All well signposted and integrated with the UK’s National Cycling Network in Northern Ireland. I’ve never seen the appeal of cycling with clubs on a main road. If I wanted to wear a uniform and go in the same direction as a bunch of other people I’d join the Army.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

JCX BXC wrote: »
    The surface of the Waterford Greenway disimproves as you go along. Not significantly though.

Yep, there are separate urban and rural standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

Indeed. I prefer quiet cycling on the back roads between Derry and Inishowen. All well signposted and integrated with the UK’s National Cycling Network in Northern Ireland. I’ve never seen the appeal of cycling with clubs on a main road. If I wanted to wear a uniform and go in the same direction as a bunch of other people I’d join the Army.
    Greenways aren't suited to cycle club training spins and I've never seen them used by them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Well struggle on so. But basic stats from 1990 and 2017 hardly cut it despite the orgasmic feeling some get from them.

Clearly the last ban didn't work - enjoy another one for trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Look, I've argued both ways on this thread, but there's absolutely no grounds for opening a line for a very small number of freight trains, which can take a different route anyway. It simply doesn't make economic sense.

To be honest, I'm sad that the section between Ennis and Galway wasn't built on a new alignment. Would have made it a much more attractive form of travel.

Exactly. I have also argued both ways and I can't agree more re alignment and that only gets worse north of Tuam... I can't see why any (non-local or non-historic) railway advocate would look for the old alignment to be used.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Even if there was a network of Greenways in Ireland people from here will still look to go abroad for cycling hoildays. Anyway most people families particularly don't look to go cycling they are no where near as popular as sun holidays, presently they are a niche market.
    while traffic may have increased slightly, one can still have the responsibility to work around it and be safe. local roads are as safe in 2018 as 1988 if you are careful. if you have your headphones in or are yapping away well then you aren't concentrating to the full IMO. when we have our public transport system up to scratch which would benefit a lot more people, then we can think about greenways in the west for a minority activity.

I'm sure I'll be accused of bias for this but I've also corrected people for nonsense about railways...

This isn't exact, but it's far more than the two of you are offering... let's look at some facts...
    • According to pro-Western Railway Corridor sources (source), Phase one had 102,000 passenger trips in the whole of 2015 (this is up from previous years). It's about 60km long.
    • That's about 1,700 persons per km for the railway for the full year.
    • Waterford County Council estimates that the Waterford Greenway had 247,545 trips in less than 9 months (very end of March to the start of December). It's 45km long.
    • That's about 5,501 persons per km for Waterford Greenway for just 9 months.
    • Expanded using a simple average that's 7,335 per month -- but...
    • ...you could claim that this excludes down months of December and January but I've heard of high local and returning resident usage in December and at least some of February and all of March would be higher usage than October. Nevertheless, to be fair, let's cut off a bit
    • 4,950 per km under 9 months, but even if we cut the monthly average to 1/4 it's 5,362 per km for the full year.
    • The Great Western Greenway had 145,000 visitors in year one and this increased to 265,000 in year two in 2014 [also: so, we should expect the Waterford Greenway to increase after year one]. It's 42km.
    • That's about 3,452 persons per km in year one and 6,309 persons per km for the Great Western Greenway for the full year.

That's 5,362 (first year) to 6,309 (second year) persons per km for the greenways vs 5,501 persons per km for the reopened section of the Western Railway Corridor.

If greenways are a niche, what's the open section of the Western Railway Corridor? A very expensive niche on wheels?

While you could say that a greenway on the Western Railway Corridor might not be as popular as the above two, you could say the same thing about the Western Railway Corridor between two cities vs the Western Railway Corridor between one city and a large town (with very little besides one mid-sized commuter town close to Galway, where the railway could be opened to it without the rest of the route).

You could say the network of the Western Railway Corridor isn't finished, but the same can be said of greenways -- they are planned to be much larger networks.

The greenway would also has massively lower running costs and health benefits far exceeding public transport.

A greenway doesn't stop the railway the Western Railway Corridor alignment north of Tuam has one of the widest alignments I've seen on a single track railway in Ireland, and, north of Tuam / Claremorris, it's not the best alignment for a modern railway.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Even if there was a network of Greenways in Ireland people from here will still look to go abroad for cycling hoildays. Anyway most people families particularly don't look to go cycling they are no where near as popular as sun holidays, presently they are a niche market.

You're showing here that your posts lack basic knowledge of greenways -- people on "cycling holidays" are just one of many fraction of users of greenway.

Not only to you have local users, but most people visiting an area who end up cycling on a greenway are doing so as just part of their visit -- the greenway might be the activity for one day and then there might be another the next (ie visiting tourist attractions, walking, swimming, fishing, golfing, etc).

when we have our public transport system up to scratch which would benefit a lot more people, then we can think about greenways in the west for a minority activity.

A few points to this:
    • as outlined above, if greenways are a "minority activity", god help railways. From a strong supporter of both railways and greenways, I can only see your blinded view as self-defeating.
    • if a government was really going to pump enough money into the Western Railway Corridor to make it would while, they likely would not follow the old route alignment. North of Claremorris it makes zero sense to follow the old route alignment.
    • cycling use is one of the most untapped potentials for rail in Ireland -- as the Netherlands (where 40%+ of rail passengers arrive by bicycle daily) cycling can far extend the reach and attractiveness of railway stations in both cities and towns.
    • having a "public transport system up to scratch" does not mean that you can't also have a network of greenway / national walking and cycling network.
    • rail use (tram and heavy rail combined even) in Dublin City has fewer daily commuters than the numbers who use bicycles.... and that's when at least a few railway lines are continuous across the city but there's not a single continuous cycle route -- wait for the network effect when a few cycle routes are completed to be continuous. The same applies to greenway -- the network effect will grow their usage.

But, hey, let's not let facts get in the way.
    children cycling to school is very very unlikely to be a common occurrence again, no matter how many greenways are built. a combination of our litigation culture and the "everyone's a predator" brigade have helped insure it.

And, yet, I've seen local children cycling on their own on rural sections of the Great Western Greenway and more children cycle to my old primary school in Mayo more than when I went there and the Green Schools programme is doing loads of work in this area.

46 cycling deaths 1990,17 deaths 2017.

Link - http://irishcycle.com/collisions/

Of course this should be zero but it is not accurate to say that the roads are more dangerous than ever for cyclists.

CSO-secondary-students-travel.jpg?w=447
    CSO-third-level-students-travel.jpg?w=427

The numbers of cyclists have fallen dramatically since the late 80s / start of the 90s as car ownership rocketed.

That's why there was a drop in deaths between the 90s and now and it means per km traveled, the 80s were likely safer.

Quackster wrote: »
    Yep, there are separate urban and rural standards.

No, they only had so much money and the surface will be upgraded eventually.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I won't quote the post above but, it makes no sense to use the old alignment even north of Tuam. North of Tuam there are 4 level crossings on the N17 alone which would cause considerable disruption on the N17.

North of Tuam, the only valuable parts of the line are the approaches to towns and the lines through the town if a station was to be put in the town. The rest, especially on sections like Kiltimagh-Swinford, is beyond useless.

TII have allocated funding in the 2018 allocations to restart planning on N17 dualling between Knock and Collooney. That will be the final nail in the railway coffin if it even needed a nail.

A similar allocation was given to the N24 between Limerick Junction and Waterford. Might be seeing the back of the Limerick Junction-Waterford line also.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

marno21 wrote: »
    North of Tuam there are 4 level crossings on the N17 alone which would cause considerable disruption on the N17.

it would likely be small scale disruption so it wouldn't be problematic for road traffic. it would be problematic for the railway as the trains would have to slow down for the crossings however.
    A similar allocation was given to the N24 between Limerick Junction and Waterford. Might be seeing the back of the Limerick Junction-Waterford line also.

not on the basis of the motor way being built you won't.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I won't quote the post above but, it makes no sense to use the old alignment even north of Tuam. North of Tuam there are 4 level crossings on the N17 alone which would cause considerable disruption on the N17.

North of Tuam, the only valuable parts of the line are the approaches to towns and the lines through the town if a station was to be put in the town. The rest, especially on sections like Kiltimagh-Swinford, is beyond useless.

TII have allocated funding in the 2018 allocations to restart planning on N17 dualling between Knock and Collooney. That will be the final nail in the railway coffin if it even needed a nail.

Limerick junction-waterford is a dead duck everywhere except in Dail eireann. According to the rail review (allegedly) it is listed for closure.

eastwest wrote: »
    Limerick junction-waterford is a dead duck everywhere except in Dail eireann. According to the rail review (allegedly) it is listed for closure.

Source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

• According to pro-Western Railway Corridor sources (source), Phase one had 102,000 passenger trips in the whole of 2015 (this is up from previous years). It's about 60km long.
    • That's about 1,700 persons per km for the railway for the full year.
    • Waterford County Council estimates that the Waterford Greenway had 247,545 trips in less than 9 months (very end of March to the start of December). It's 45km long.
    • That's about 5,501 persons per km for Waterford Greenway for just 9 months.
    • Expanded using a simple average that's 7,335 per month -- but...

Just a short extract from your lengthy post. Yes indeed then think about how much money these greenway users are spending along the length of the Waterford Greenway, and the same for the Great Western Greenway. How much is being spent in Gort or Ardrahan by the rail users sitting on the train passing through? The answer is simple zero. How many jobs have been created in Waterford by the greenway or in West Mayo? compared to say the number of jobs created by the Ennis/Athenry line (irish rail rostering jobs excluded). These dam greenways create human activity which creates economic activity. The fact the closed railway alignment line north of Athenry and in particular north of Claremorris makes it as good as useless as a future railway, is argument enough for an alternative use, so why is this still being debated and why are West on Track still trying to stop the greenway from happening?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Some people might be reading posts that aren’t there.

Source?

A usually reliable source. We'll know for sure when Sean Canney lets go of Shane Ross' b***s

In the meantime, sprawl is king.

https://www.independent.ie/news/environment/terrible-commutes-families-being-denied-regular-life-due-to-urban-sprawl-planner-warns-36466244.html

It is remarkable how allergic some are to decent and sustainable planning. Tuam to Athenry and Galway by rail is one piece of the puzzle, but the rest involves joined-up planning and land use strategies to encourage people away from cars.

Car commuting is part of the problem, not the solution.

westtip wrote: »
    why are West on Track still trying to stop the greenway from happening?

Why did three people scuttle the Apple project?
    Because they can.

https://www.independent.ie/news/environment/terrible-commutes-families-being-denied-regular-life-due-to-urban-sprawl-planner-warns-36466244.html

It is remarkable how allergic some are to decent and sustainable planning. Tuam to Athenry and Galway by rail is one piece of the puzzle, but the rest involves joined-up planning and land use strategies to encourage people away from cars.

But buses are good for scattered populations. You can't run a train to every house in the country, but a bus can reach most of them.

it's not a "dead duck" at all. it's a line which has huge potential to be saved even now. the fact it's listed for closure means nothing in terms of it's viability as it's closure would only ever be down to "CIE" "reasons" and nothing valid in terms of a modern country.

i know that. you know that. everyone knows it. the problem is those who want to keep the status quo will never admit it because they will have to admit defeat. the "shur we have busses" argument failed even back in the 1960s, the "motor ways can do it all" argument failed in the 1960s. they have no where to go now.
    But buses are good for scattered populations. You can't run a train to every house in the country, but a bus can reach most of them.

yet the majority of people don't use them, because bus offers nothing over the car and never could. the only one who is talking about running a train to every house in the country is you, it's simply hyperbole.

Why did three people scuttle the Apple project?
    Because they can.

So, wanting higher density development and higher quality public transport is the same as people scuttling Apple in Athenry?

More than a bit of a stretch, that.

So, wanting higher density development and higher quality public transport is the same as people scuttling Apple in Athenry?

Not really. Blocking investment and jobs when they know (a) that the railway won't be reopened for decades at best, and (b) that the greenway won't be the reason why the railway doesn't reopen.
    The opposition to the 'greenway now, railway later' proposal falls into the very same 'I'm all right, jack' camp as the Apple opposition. Same outcome, and same lack of reasoning behind their stance.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The Athenry-Collooney line is not high quality public transport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

And in truth Claremorris- Athenry runs through the most ridiculous of possible alignments, unless you're a member of the railwaymen gatekeeper's union or a crazed fan of Bob Dylan album titles.

there is no Athenry-Collooney line. there are 2 separate lines which would eventually bring you to collooney, athenry claremorris and claremorris Collooney. there is no campaign to reopen claremorris Collooney now and tuam claremorris is also definitely not going to reopen. athenry to tuam however could be a possible candidate in the future but time will tell.

Not right now, it isn't. Athenry - Tuam could be though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Muckyboots wrote: »
    And in truth Claremorris- Athenry runs through the most ridiculous of possible alignments, unless you're a member of the railwaymen gatekeeper's union or a crazed fan of Bob Dylan album titles.

Partly down to an influential landlord at the time wanting the rail line to be nearer his estate. Otherwise, it would have been more closely aligned to the main N17 road.

Tuam Galway could be, without the diversion to athenry which already has a rail connection to Galway. A qbc would do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

How could it be? Unless Tuam explodes in population by 10x that's an absurd suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Happy new year to some of you.

Okay so, here is an interesting piece, i'm not vindicating privatisation however it is worth noting the highlighted report in this article finds that train journeys in the UK have doubled since 1997.
    Published: 2015
    The Number of UK train journeys has doubled since 1997

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/14/train-journey-numbers-double-since-privatisation-railways-uk-report

How could it be? Unless Tuam explodes in population by 10x that's an absurd suggestion.

Read the full post. I suggested a qbc.
    I agree; a railway would be an overkill.

Tuam Galway could be, without the diversion to athenry which already has a rail connection to Galway. A qbc would do the job.

it couldn't do the job no . it could be part of the solution but it is less likely to attract users then a high quality frequent rail service. rail-based solutions are going to have to come to galway, no amount of roads will solve the congestion issues.
    voz es wrote: »

Okay so, here is an interesting piece, i'm not vindicating privatisation however it is worth noting the highlighted report in this article finds that train journeys in the UK have doubled since 1997.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/14/train-journey-numbers-double-since-privatisation-railways-uk-report

there were a huge amount of factors that caused that growth though. any effect privatization may have had would have been quite small. especially as the fares have risen hugely since privatization happened.
    now where privatization has really been effective is in terms of freight.

• Advertisement

voz es wrote: »

There's been good growth in rail numbers in the Dublin area too. Rail works when moving people around or between areas of high population.
    Not places like Tuam or Claremorris.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement