Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

serfboard wrote: »
    The M17 is empty but trains from Claremorris would be full? :rolleyes:

Maybe all the tired, hungry tourists are just itching to ride dat motorway, but haven't got around to it yet, as it peters out around Tuam, not Claremorris.

Maybe all the tired, hungry tourists are just itching to ride dat motorway, but haven't got around to it yet, as it peters out around Tuam, not Claremorris.

alrighty then

alrighty then

Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Had they not have graded it as a Motorway the cyclists could have used the new M17 dual carriageway. Heaven knows it needs to be used for something and it would save on Greenway costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Heaven knows it needs to be used for something and it would save on Greenway costs.

Yep they are so huge compared to a new motorway or replacing a redundant railway line , I mean a footpath along a closed railway line is going to cost so much....why on earth would it be considered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Had they not have graded it as a Motorway the cyclists could have used the new M17 dual carriageway. Heaven knows it needs to be used for something and it would save on Greenway costs.

I sense the smilie, but some people genuinely don't get that a Greenway is not about transport from A to B, but more about Leisure. There would be no (p)leisure riding on a Dual Carriageway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Harcourt Street

Isambard wrote: »
    I sense the smilie, but some people genuinely don't get that a Greenway is not about transport from A to B, but more about Leisure. There would be no (p)leisure riding on a Dual Carriageway

Interesting because you’ve confirmed that Greenways aren’t at all about transport but leisure. All the more reason to resist the destruction of a public transport asset so some cyclists can have a pleasant day out.

Greenways don’t bring jobs and bonanzas, they aren’t an ATM (tm) for communities either. Ask the residents of Moate if they have hoards of tired, hungry tourists swarming around, they’re not.

Also the responses to the National Planning Framework are out. In it one J. Mulligan suggests that a gas main could be laid under the track bed of the WRC. Clever that, I’m guessing he knows that would scupper a rail connection in the future if that happened. I don’t buy these statements that these ideas are to preserve the rail link for future use. It’s all about destruction of the link to stop the rail link. Only in Ireland...

not my opinion, my opinion would be I wouldn't want to see more money wasted on a rail line to nowhere, whilst I would like to see available finance channeled into the existing lines which serve a real purpose.

It's not a public transport asset, it's a rail line closed for 40 years

I don't know about Moate but I've seen Dungarvan and that's a big success.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Athenry/Claremorris closed as recently as 1997 - about twenty one years ago. Also, it's not a railway to nowhere - it's a link in the system which should not have been allowed run into the ground. Once reopened through passenger traffic would develop not just Athenry/Claremorris local traffic. It could be used by Belmond https://www.belmond.com/trains/europe/ireland/belmond-grand-hibernian/ Railtours Ireland https://railtoursireland.com amongst others but in its present state it's useless. This, of course, would take vision which is something most politicians, CIE and the anti-rail lobby can't be accused of having.

Interesting because you’ve confirmed that Greenways aren’t at all about transport but leisure.

Nothing says it can't be both.
    All the more reason to resist the destruction of a public transport asset so some cyclists can have a pleasant day out.

1. It stopped being an asset 40 years ago

2. Cyclists, walkers, wheelchair users and families with kids in prams would be the users. It will be an amenity for the whole community.
    Greenways don’t bring jobs and bonanzas, they aren’t an ATM (tm) for communities either. Ask the residents of Moate if they have hoards of tired, hungry tourists swarming around, they’re not.

The new greenway will be a core element in Moate's aim to become the ‘best small town in Ireland

http://www.westmeathindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2018/04/05/4154329-moates-aim-to-become-the-best-small-town-in-ireland/

As for jobs, this has been asked and answered here https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055766866/236/#post106562799

On a side note, I'm writing this as I sit having a sandwich on the Athlone to Mullingar greenway after taking the trip up here today especially to use it. Personally, I've spent 20 eur today on food and drink for myself and my partner and will probably spend the same amount again before we leave.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If the Athenry-Claremorris line was an asset, it wouldn't have a cost:benefit ratio of 100:6 and have the Government trying to bury it only for bizarre political campaigns keeping it alive.

Assets don't require massive capital investment followed by a huge per passenger subsidy to provide a service that's slower than the existing bus service and will be less frequent than the existing bus service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

marno21 wrote: »
    If the Athenry-Claremorris line was an asset, it wouldn't have a cost:benefit ratio of 100:6 and have the Government trying to bury it only for bizarre political campaigns keeping it alive.

Assets don't require massive capital investment followed by a huge per passenger subsidy to provide a service that's slower than the existing bus service and will be less frequent than the existing bus service

If it's not an asset, it's a liability.
    There's no middle ground.

Nothing says it can't be both.

1. It stopped being an asset 40 years ago

2. Cyclists, walkers, wheelchair users and families with kids in prams would be the users. It will be an amenity for the whole community.

The new greenway will be a core element in Moate's aim to become the ‘best small town in Ireland

http://www.westmeathindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2018/04/05/4154329-moates-aim-to-become-the-best-small-town-in-ireland/

"We are privileged to have the greenway coming through our town. We want to maximise the benefit to the town from the greenway. We want to make Moate one of the best cycling towns in Ireland. We want to be better than Mulranney (Mayo),” he said

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Athenry/Claremorris closed as recently as 1997 - about twenty one years ago. Also, it's not a railway to nowhere - it's a link in the system which should not have been allowed run into the ground. Once reopened through passenger traffic would develop not just Athenry/Claremorris local traffic. It could be used by Belmond https://www.belmond.com/trains/europe/ireland/belmond-grand-hibernian/ Railtours Ireland https://railtoursireland.com amongst others but in its present state it's useless. This, of course, would take vision which is something most politicians, CIE and the anti-rail lobby can't be accused of having.

That's wonderful news, that Belmond are interested in using a railway that isn't there yet.
    Unfortunately 'Belmond will use it' isn't a business case. And as for job creation, they bring everything with them, food, staff etc -- they provide as much local benefit as a camper van.
    As for Railtours, they already service Harvey's Point with a bus link between Derry and Sligo. It's strange that they haven't any presence in Tuam and Claremorris to date -- clearly the lack of a rail line is no barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Da Cor is correct in his reply to you. In fact not only can Greenways be about both but in some cases they are required to be. EU funding for the current and proposed Cross-Border Greenways (eg N W Greenway from Derry to Inishowen) was contingent on the routes being for commuting rather than leisure. Obviously leisure riders can use them too but they wouldn't be happening is there wasn't a transport element.

It's a silly point, Urban Greenways in particular, eg the Dodder will attract a lot of commuters, Rural Greenways wil have fewer and more leisure/tourist users but so what? Either way there are benefits to the local community. Like Da Cor today, we went to check out the Athlone Greenway a year ago. We had morning coffee in the Heritage Park Café in Moate and lunch in a restaurant in Mullingar. On W/Ford Greenway coffee was in Kilmac and dinner/o/night in Dungarvan so a small contribution to the local economy.

Anyone know the coffee stop on the Great Southern Greenway!

i'm sure they would be welcome to fund re-opening so their jollies can use it

eastwest wrote: »
    That's wonderful news, that Belmond are interested in using a railway that isn't there yet.
    Unfortunately 'Belmond will use it' isn't a business case. And as for job creation, they bring everything with them, food, staff etc -- they provide as much local benefit as a camper van.
    As for Railtours, they already service Harvey's Point with a bus link between Derry and Sligo. It's strange that they haven't any presence in Tuam and Claremorris to date -- clearly the lack of a rail line is no barrier.

Thanks, but there's no need to put words in my mouth - I never said that Belmond were interested in using the route. However, it stands to reason that it would provide a direct link to Limerick etc. for them. Perhaps you're privy to their plans, I'm not.

i'm sure they would be welcome to fund re-opening so their jollies can use it

Their 'jollies' as you so quaintly put it are helping pay for the continuation of the Irish railway system - we need more operators like Belmond in all sectors of the rail industry.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Have been enjoying the sight recently of machinery clearing the North Kerry line to allow for surveying work to commence shortly on the design of our new greenway.

Hope the folk of East Galway, East Mayo and Sligo won't have to wait too long to see a similar sight.

Quackster wrote: »
    Have been enjoying the sight recently of machinery clearing the North Kerry line to allow for surveying work to commence shortly on the design of our new greenway.

Hope the folk of East Galway, East Mayo and Sligo won't have to wait too long to see a similar sight.

Don't worry, we'll be getting the encroachers and poachers off the people's railway soon enough ;)

30261972_1928934280750260_8874786289178640384_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=bebd1c7ae6b875ec77223cc0c93b0349&oe=5B66464E

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

Don't worry, we'll be getting the encroachers and poachers off the people's railway soon enough ;)

30261972_1928934280750260_8874786289178640384_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=bebd1c7ae6b875ec77223cc0c93b0349&oe=5B66464E
    Yes, I hear that once all the backlog of house repossessions have got through the courts there's an avalanche of trespass cases coming from CIE against misguided farmers and gentlemen long acre grazers.

Thanks but don't worry this man will stop it happening in East Galway doing his best to prevent jobs in his own constituency

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/taoiseach-was-wrong-to-drop-west-from-eu-transport-fund-bid-canney-36779507.html

Sean Canney TD( The Desperado)

However you won't be getting any trains on a railway line that has not been touched for 40 years! As the people's railway becomes the people's greenway
    '

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Don't worry, we'll be getting the encroachers and poachers off the people's railway soon enough

Wow, it's already a Green Way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

Wow, it's already a Green Way!

Exactly. It's only a railway when trains are running on it. In the meantime, it provides occasional free pasture and great walking routes for those with hardy ankles and non-social dogs.

westtip wrote: »
    However you won't be getting any trains on a railway line that has not been touched for 40 years! As the people's railway becomes the people's greenway
    '

21 years to be accurate - I thought that you maintain Canney and WOT are the ones who are bad at figures.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

21 years to be accurate - I thought that you maintain Canney and WOT are the ones who are bad at figures.

When was the last time there was a scheduled passenger railway service from Tuam to anywhere?

When was the last time there was a scheduled passenger railway service from Tuam to anywhere?

1976 to be exact

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuam_railway_station

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

So apart from moving a few loads of seasonal sugar beet and spuds, not much has moved for 40 years.

I think it should close. Oh, wait - it has already closed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

That train line should be the train line to Dublin if there was any proper planning having to go from Killarney and Tralee via Mallow Junction is absolute stupidity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement