Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

ninja900 wrote: »
    Or maybe they're realised that the Minister for Transport has just said that if they don't get their act together Irish Rail will have run out of cash by this time next year... Deckchairs, Titanic, etc.

Perhaps, I do know that the platform is especially tricky for this part of the line as it's on a hill and they are excavating five feet from a live railway. They could have run into some problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

http://ht.ly/f3zME

only a matter of time now, this is from Indo yesterday
    Recycled railway line turns in to €7m money spinner

By Michael Brennan
    Monday November 05 2012
    4 Comments
    A CYCLE trail in Co Mayo has been a huge success with 34,000 visitors bringing in €7m to the area per year -- more than double its €3m cost.

But the Western Greenway was only made possible by the decision of 160 farmers to provide their land along the old railway line free of charge under a "permissive access" agreement.

Junior minister Michael Ring said the farmers had provided an example that could be followed elsewhere to make Ireland the cycling capital of Europe.

"They really showed great community spirit and no money changed hands. I would encourage other farmers to assist and help because they can see the benefits for their area," he said.

The Western Greenway has created 38 new jobs in bike hire shops, restaurants, pubs and hotels. And it has resulted in more tourists stopping in Newport, Mulranny and Achill during their cycle of the route -- while also boosting the already successful tourist town of Westport.

Stunning

Mr Ring said that access agreements with farmers were the only way forward because the State could not afford to buy the land.

The Greenway runs along the line of the disused Westport to Achill railway track, which closed in 1937. The land was sold to local farmers over the following decades. But thanks to their co-operation, the entire 42km route has been redeveloped as a cycling and walking track, with stunning views of Clew Bay and surrounding forests and mountains.

There are plans to develop cycle tracks on other disused railway lines around the country.

A €687,000 grant has been given for a 6.2km greenway along an old railway line between Greers Quay, Omeath, and Carlingford in Co Louth. In Kerry, permission has been given to turn the first section of the old Tralee to Fenit railway line into a greenway.

And farmers in Mayo are giving permission for their lands along the banks of the Castlebar river to be used for an 8km greenway from the town to the National Museum of Country.

Mr Ring said a crucial factor for other areas to take into account was the engagement with landowners -- which in this case was led by Mayo County Council engineer Padraig Philbin.

"He spoke to people and explained to people what they were doing," Mr Ring said.

Failte Ireland has said that cycling tourism was already worth €200m to the economy but had "huge potential" to grow even more.

- Michael Brennan[/end Quote]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭sligotrain

A matter of time for what exactly? The old Achill line is ideal for tourism but I don't think for one minute that the Burma Road will be wasted on a cycle track.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Brilliant... And what about the disused railways that the state still owns (mainly) that could be cycling or hiking tracks for not much more than the cost of clearing them ...( I'm thinking of midleton to youghal) but I'm sure there are many that could be reopened as tracks quickly and cheaply ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

sligotrain wrote: »
    A matter of time for what exactly? The old Achill line is ideal for tourism but I don't think for one minute that the Burma Road will be wasted on a cycle track.

its not just about tourism - its also about facilities for local people. Connect the WRC greenway (which will happen BTW) to the Great Western Greenway and we have a proper cycling infrastructure emerging. We also have a safe place for people in the towns along the way to walk and cycle. forget the western rail corridor there will be no further extensions of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

sligotrain wrote: »

check out the UK experience. These tracks are widespread there and very popular. The one thing we have to sell is our countryside, we need to maximise tourism.
    Just look at those figures from Mayo...covered it's cost of building twice over in it's first year...
    .Now contrast that to the WRC ...cost €106million and LOSES €3million per year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Just look at those figures from Mayo...covered it's cost of building twice over in it's first year...
    .Now contrast that to the WRC ...cost €106million and LOSES €3million per year
    Now, let's be fair here.

Presumably the EUR 7m was recouped by local businesses etc. so that's indirect benefit. Let's not compare apples and oranges.

However, the greenway is something which demonstrably adds value above the status quo. I think the difficulty for the WRC people is proving that Ennis-Athenry provides even EUR 3m of indirect benefit above and beyond existing service, never mind the desultory direct income.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i said CONTRAST not COMPARE in fairness.

the Greenway is an outstanding success and the WRC is a major failure...and the northern sections would be even worse if ever built

The IRRS republished a paper by Oliver Doyle, muckedymuck at IE until recently, on the investments made in IE between 1997 and 2010. At the end of that paper was the following heresy which will have caused much tugging of beards in certain quarters:
    plans to re-open further lines have been stopped for lack of funding, particularly as the section between Ennis and Athenry, re-opened for political reasons, is a drain on the railway’s resources averaging just eight passengers per train and the taxpayers having to provide a considerable subsidy for each passenger journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

New series starting on RTE on rail in Irelad. Wonder if the WRC will get a mention and WOT will feature. Starts Monday 12th November at 8.30 pm

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I am thinking of organising an excursion from Athenry - Ennis and back with High Tea to be taken in Ennis.

Anyone up for it while we still can. I'd say Varadkar will have the Athenry - Ennis line closed by March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Needs someone to wear a black coat and big black hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I am thinking of organising an excursion from Athenry - Ennis and back with High Tea to be taken in Ennis.

Anyone up for it while we still can. I'd say Varadkar will have the Athenry - Ennis line closed by March.

Pencil me in, I haven't been on a train since the last century :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Would your excursion be by train or bicycle?

Train ( this time)

If a similar trip was done on the Nenagh branch Alan Kelly would use the "INCREASED NUMBERS!!!1!" as an excuse to keep that line going another two years.

Well time it all for your next home visit Dowlingm...unless you intend to be 'too late' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Fascinating subject. While googleing the background to it all, did this guy have a crystal ball or something?

"the operational and maintenance costs of the reopened WRC would present a major financial burden to Iarnród Éireann, due to low patronage of the line and limited appeal of the proposed passenger service to the travelling public"

- Derek Wheeler Platform 11, April 2004

I've followed developments off and on over the years and this railway is truly a disaster and many people saw it coming.

Chickens coming home to roost. Something the chained officials failed to see with their near sightedness.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Sounds good.

I presume that as per tradition those with a pass will only have to pay for the High Tea (presumably in the Old Ground).

• Advertisement

Well time it all for your next home visit Dowlingm...unless you intend to be 'too late' :)
    Not unless it can wait until late 2013/early 2014. These toddlers are great vacuums for the disposable income!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Grandeeod

Fascinating subject. While googleing the background to it all, did this guy have a crystal ball or something?

"the operational and maintenance costs of the reopened WRC would present a major financial burden to Iarnród Éireann, due to low patronage of the line and limited appeal of the proposed passenger service to the travelling public"

Derek did'nt have a crystal ball. His team had a statistical database comparing various other comparable routes around Europe which had been renewed, such as the Peloponnese lines in Greece (Renewed, relaid in the late 1990's with European Union funding, now closed. These were fully refurbished at considerable cost. In 2010, after shunting dead air around with considerable carbon footprint and 100 Million Euro of renewals, coupled with 10's Million Euro annual losses, they closed. Their farebox operational cost return ratio was at 8%, far below the socially justifiable benchmark of 25% or 500 users per annum per route kilometer.

Lines in Germany, Spain, Portugal and France, etc, which had comparable speeds and similar population densities were also compared. The aim was to revive Ballybrophy-Limerick via Nenagh, and also Rosslare - Waterford - Limerick Junction. If that was successful, then it could be used as justification for well run regional services, and the expansion of such. If it failed.....well.....that was it more or less. Had it succeeded:

Had it succeeded, I can assure you, all of us here would rejoice, and we'd be THANKING Brian Guckian and others for being such visionaries. There would be well intentioned humble pie and apologies. The network would be succeeding. There would be tracklayers going to Donegal. Unfortunately.......how can you rationalise with someone even more reactionary than I who stated:

Don't waste your time with this people.

Dermo88, stick with that other shower P11. You mite be more use there.

One point I did make then was this. And this explains the anti WRC stance:

(b) there is understandable insecurity in that the failure of the WRC could lead to the denial of funding for the Interconnector, and the Navan line.

7 years later. Recession. No money. No honey.

Derek (former poster DWCommuter) could be a bit controversial now and again, could annoy moderators, but he had good intentions. Still, life goes on.

parsi wrote: »
    I presume that as per tradition those with a pass will only have to pay for the High Tea (presumably in the Old Ground).

Only honest decent paying passengers such as myself are invited. Those who intend to travel on a pass can organise their own event. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

dermo88 wrote: »
    Derek (former poster DWCommuter) could be a bit controversial now and again, could annoy moderators, but he had good intentions.
    and he needs to come back on here, he had a lot of interesting things to say, oh well guess that will never happen, as you said life goes on.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Decision on Crushen planning put back as there is a request for further information.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

Grandeeod wrote: »

I've followed developments off and on over the years and this railway is truly a disaster and many people saw it coming.

Everything Plaform 11 predicted would happen came to pass... other regional lines would be sacrificed to save the WRC. They said the metro and interconnector would never be built and that the excuses to hide the Pheonix Park tunnel would continue until IE walled up the portals on either end.

I am sure IE already have the cavaity blocks and mortor ready to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭sligotrain

What would be the best and most sensible use of the Phoenix Park tunnel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

glineli wrote: »
    Decision on Crushen planning put back as there is a request for further information.

At this stage it's looking like Crusheen will still get built before Oranmore, platform area and car park has been cleared for months awaiting Irishrail's contractor to complete the job....

It will be finished just in time for the undertaker special.

• Advertisement

Grandeeod wrote: »

It wasn't a crystal ball it was just common sense reasoning, derek is missed from these boards and this thread. We all know the WRC southern branch line has been an abject failure and so many of us predicted it and agreed with Derek. The northern branch line will become a greenway with an information superhighway laid along its length. It will be a huge economic success, will transform internet connectivity along its route and contribute to growth in west of ireland tourism - all this i can assure you will happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement