Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

I wish the money was spent on dual tracking Athenry - Ceannt, Galway is screaming for a frequent cheap commuter service.....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

not to worry lads, when the new station is built at oranmore that apparently is a mile from oranmore we'l be suckin diesel, and we'l close limerick ballybroaphy, and limerick junction waterford which should be having improved services, to cover the loss on the western fail rail.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

yer man! wrote: »
    I wish the money was spent on dual tracking Athenry - Ceannt

IE quoted €180m to dual track Athenry - Ceannt.

Remember that Ceannt - Oranmore level crossing was dual track up to foundation of the state and that any land acquisition would only be between Oranmore and Athenry.

At that price..... lets say it is not a priority. :cool:

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    IE quoted €180m to dual track Athenry - Ceannt.

Remember that Ceannt - Oranmore level crossing was dual track up to foundation of the state and that any land acquisition would only be between Oranmore and Athenry.

At that price..... lets say it is not a priority. :cool:

I think that was including the price of grade separating the line from ceannt to athenry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Latest news from da wesht is apparently the holy father and pastor to Wesht on Track was invited to give a presentation last week in Westport at a launch of a book about the great western greenway - Apparently and this is second hand knowledge from people at the meeting whilst the Holy Father, also known as Father Mick Mcgreil of Maybenooth College, expressed how wonderful the greenway was he apparently got a bit shirty when he said -(and this is second hand reporting) that ye lot needn't be thinking of any greenway on our western rail corridor - apparently the audience just tittered and laughed and shuffled their feet and looked at the floor as he made his doctrine known. He was obviously aware of the news that is leaking out of Swinford......more to come on that in a future post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,697 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I wish the money was spent on dual tracking Athenry - Ceannt, Galway is screaming for a frequent cheap commuter service.....

Have you bothered toook at the proposed timetables from IE??

They look like a pretty intensive commuter service to me especially in the evening peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dowlingm

If you're double tracking all the way then the platform in Galway where the runaround track is needs to happen to allow closely spaced trains room to arrive. Unfortunately like Kent and Tara Street the CIE incompetence in station redevelopment(PDF) has prevented it from already happening. Mind you it's clear CIE didn't expect much - in their greed to maximise retail floor plate the opportunity to provision for a 4-platform arrangement was discarded with a storage track shoved in instead.

dowlingm wrote: »
    If you're double tracking all the way then the platform in Galway where the runaround track is needs to happen to allow closely spaced trains room to arrive. Unfortunately like Kent and Tara Street the CIE incompetence in station redevelopment(PDF) has prevented it from already happening. Mind you it's clear CIE didn't expect much - in their greed to maximise retail floor plate the opportunity to provision for a 4-platform arrangement was discarded with a storage track shoved in instead.

I just love these wonderful .pdf documents produced by our various semi states, councils and government - this one about Ceannt station is a classic. Could someone tell me why we always have to see that rather sickening statement "World Class facility" everytime we plan a piece of infrastructure development - is it some kind of defence mechanism in our psyche that says up until now everything has been cr*p, and our "world class facilities" are our way of expressing our craving to be recognised by the rest of the world as "world class". Michael Ring has often used the phrase to describe the Great Western Greenway "Its world class so it is Tis world class" or words to that effect. Clearly it is some kind of in built inferiority complex in our public representatives mind. Am I alone in seeing this obsession with being seen to be "world class" as rather bizarre.

BTW does anyone think the railway from athenry to Ennis is "world class".....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

westtip wrote: »
    I just love these wonderful .pdf documents produced by our various semi states, councils and government - this one about Ceannt station is a classic. Could someone tell me why we always have to see that rather sickening statement "World Class facility" everytime we plan a piece of infrastructure development - is it some kind of defence mechanism in our psyche that says up until now everything has been cr*p, and our "world class facilities" are our way of expressing our craving to be recognised by the rest of the world as "world class". Michael Ring has often used the phrase to describe the Great Western Greenway "Its world class so it is Tis world class" or words to that effect. Clearly it is some kind of in built inferiority complex in our public representatives mind. Am I alone in seeing this obsession with being seen to be "world class" as rather bizarre.

BTW does anyone think the railway from athenry to Ennis is "world class".....:D
    It's only ever going to be world class on paper or in PDF form as on the ground the reality is third world for so many of Ireland's stations and branch lines!

lxflyer wrote: »
    Have you bothered toook at the proposed timetables from IE??

They look like a pretty intensive commuter service to me especially in the evening peak.

I have and yes that does look ok... but that'll change when/if Oranmore station is finished. There's no passing loop planned so that'll slow things down a bit if every commuter train is going to stop there.

Why is a "commuter" train so expensive from Galway - Athenry when a comparable distance and patronage on certain services is comparable to that of some lines in Cork or Dublin which are significantly cheaper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭serfboard

Clearly it is some kind of in built inferiority complex in our public representatives mind.
    FYP. :) It's called "post-colonial mentality".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Why is a "commuter" train so expensive from Galway - Athenry when a comparable distance and patronage on certain services is comparable to that of some lines in Cork or Dublin which are significantly cheaper?

Probably cos no one commutes, IE will jack up the prices until more do. What could possibly go wrong with this cunning plan.

Probably cos no one commutes, IE will jack up the prices until more do. What could possibly go wrong with this cunning plan.

Quite a lot do commute but the car park in Athenry is only so big and charges.

I have and yes that does look ok... but that'll change when/if Oranmore station is finished. There's no passing loop planned so that'll slow things down a bit if every commuter train is going to stop there.

Adding an extra stop will add 2 minutes to the schedule so it won't have that big an impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

two minutes? hard to believe.

corktina wrote: »

It may be hard to believe, but that is the case.

30 seconds additional time each for deceleration/acceleration, and one minute station stop time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭The Idyl Race

Two minutes can be vitally important to business..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭sligotrain

Two minutes can be vitally important to business..

You know when I'm down to my socks it's business time... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

lxflyer wrote: »
    It may be hard to believe, but that is the case.

30 seconds additional time each for deceleration/acceleration, and one minute station stop time.

i spose... i guess if they wrent going really fast it would be about right then

i spose... i guess if they wrent going really fast it would be about right then

That is the standard additional acceleration/deceleration time allowed for any station stop by any train be it on the mainline or branch lines.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

1 minute dwell time is not realistic. I would be looking at twice that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The average dwell time for all station stops by all trains must be around 8-10 minutes?

serfboard wrote: »
    FYP. :) It's called "post-colonial mentality".

yes pretty much what I had in mind that was a good article

Well in most stations that is exactly what is allowed in the timetable.

At bigger stations it is two minutes.

At many halts it is actually 30 seconds.

Obviously where trains are crossing with one another on single track routes that time will be extended.

Remember, two minutes in Heaven is better than one minute in Heaven (watch the video above if you didn't get that)

:D

In a document that came about of extensive public consultation in Swinford sensiblegovernment.com has LEAKED the following ON WEBSITE

http://www.sensiblegovernment.com - scroll down the home page until you get to the document entitled, SENSIBLE GOVERNMENT HAS RELEASED THIS DOCUMENT BECAUSE OF THE FOLLOWING REASONS

To avoid any possibility of political interference in the results of the survey, we have decided to post the leaked document here today, on December 9th 2012. Having the document in the public domain will help protect the interests of the citizens of Swinford and ensure that their views are reflected accurately post-publication.

The survey was completed by Mayo County council and has been waiting for publication for several weeks - but the survey has not been published - it is thought the document has been held back from publication as efforts may have been made to "water down" to strength of feeling about a greenway being put in place. It is clear the people of Swinford know what they want and have spoken out. It's a greenway they want and they have said so in no uncertain terms.

SWINFORD AREA OUR VISION FOR THE FUTURE.

This statement has been prepared to summarise the main views expressed by local people and organisations when they were asked what the hoped the Swinford Area would be like in ten years time

On the issue of Outdoor amenities

Swinford will develop will develop its walking and cycling routes incorporating the Ox Mountains and River Moy The old railway line will be turned into a cycling path similar to the Greenway in Mulranny

THERE IS NOT A SINGLE MENTION OF A DESIRE TO RE-OPEN THE WESTERN RAIL CORRIDOR IN THIS DOCUMENT.

APPARENTLY OVER 1300 PEOPLE WERE INTERVIEWED IN THE AREA AND THE RESEARCH WAS OVERWHELMINGLY IN FAVOUR OF A GREENWAY.

DOES THIS MAKE THE SLIGO MAYO GREENWAY CAMPAIGN A COMMUNITY BASED CAMPAIGN.

THIS IS THE BIGGEST PUBLIC ENDORSEMENT YET OF THE PEOPLES DESIRE FOR A GREENWAY ON THE NORTHERN SECTION OF THE WRC.

WOT NOW FOR WOT!????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

WOT can go back under their rock in Tuam.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

In a document that came about of extensive public consultation in Swinford sensiblegovernment.com has LEAKED the following ON WEBSITE

http://www.sensiblegovernment.com - scroll down the home page until you get to the document entitled, SENSIBLE GOVERNMENT HAS RELEASED THIS DOCUMENT BECAUSE OF THE FOLLOWING REASONS

To avoid any possibility of political interference in the results of the survey, we have decided to post the leaked document here today, on December 9th 2012. Having the document in the public domain will help protect the interests of the citizens of Swinford and ensure that their views are reflected accurately post-publication.

The survey was completed by Mayo County council and has been waiting for publication for several weeks - but the survey has not been published - it is thought the document has been held back from publication as efforts may have been made to "water down" to strength of feeling about a greenway being put in place. It is clear the people of Swinford know what they want and have spoken out. It's a greenway they want and they have said so in no uncertain terms.

This statement has been prepared to summarise the main views expressed by local people and organisations when they were asked what the hoped the Swinford Area would be like in ten years time

Swinford will develop will develop its walking and cycling routes incorporating the Ox Mountains and River Moy The old railway line will be turned into a cycling path similar to the Greenway in Mulranny

THERE IS NOT A SINGLE MENTION OF A DESIRE TO RE-OPEN THE WESTERN RAIL CORRIDOR IN THIS DOCUMENT.

APPARENTLY OVER 1300 PEOPLE WERE INTERVIEWED IN THE AREA AND THE RESEARCH WAS OVERWHELMINGLY IN FAVOUR OF A GREENWAY.

THIS IS THE BIGGEST PUBLIC ENDORSEMENT YET OF THE PEOPLES DESIRE FOR A GREENWAY ON THE NORTHERN SECTION OF THE WRC.

WOT NOW FOR WOT!????
    anyone can say they want a greenway but the question has to be asked will all those in favour of it use it when it comes? i think many will but i think their is a case of some saying their in favour but in truth won't use it at all. just something to think about.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LivelineDipso

The N17 is so dangerous to cycle on. People would cycle to the shops and pubs if it was there as a grrenway. No worries with being over the limit or run over by drunken farmers/boyracers.. It would socally transform towns such as Swinford. People from miles around would cycle/walk to the pubs if the route was safe and free from traffic just like they do in Holland and Denmark.

This could be an angle to get the publicans on board.

• Advertisement

WOT NOW FOR WOT!????

Golly, lots of shouting. Can't hear your message for the noise..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement