Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mens Jean - Boot Cut Over?

• 10-12-2009 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

That fashion show on RTE off the rails says Bootcut jeans are totally out of fashion? Im not too sure. Im not going down the skinny jean route. Discuss

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

who cares what's in fashion or not.

tbh anything you can buy in a shop is still in fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Skinny jeans...no

Slim jeans...ya

Loose hip hop style jeans...no

Skinny jeans looked retard to me like men wearing tights.

As for baggy jeans, only MC Hammer can complete that look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

skinnys no slim look great as do straight cut jeans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Do you really need a TV show to tell you what you type of jeans you like best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

I dont give a crap whats in fashion or not, i wear what i want to wear.
    The problem is, if boot cut jeans are "out of fashion", it becomes harder to find them. I already have that problem with flared jeans, impossible to find!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 rhys2

the show was on the ball.

bootcuts dont do much for most people, its not really a fashion thing just a reality.

on the other hand skinny jeans dont do much for most people either.

but slim jeans are a big yes

oh the red skinny jeans he had on one of the guys were terrible, id only wear for a BET!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I wouldn't be to concerned with what's in fashion atm, just wear what you feel like. I wear skinny jeans all the time and love em. Most people hate them but I don't really care, I like em and feel comfortable in em so sure!

ModEdit:just tidying that up for ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

mccarrd2 wrote: »
    That fashion show on RTE off the rails says Bootcut jeans are totally out of fashion? Im not too sure. Im not going down the skinny jean route. Discuss

No offense man, but please grow some! :(

Who the hell are these fashion "experts" trying to tell us what to wear! I don't even watch those type of sh*t programmes. Also, I certainly won't be wearing drainpipes (skinny legs). I do like to dress well, but I know what I want and will not be told by some popped up teledictators what to wear!

If you are still not sure about your clothes, you could ask some of your friends, but whatever you do, don't lose the TV remote - you'll need it for when a stupid meaningless fashion program comes on screen again! In extreme cases of TV deprivation (nothing to watch!), you might work out your best emergency escape route - to the DVD shop! :D

BTW here's an equation for you:

OR(what not to wear, any equivalent programme) = What not to Watch! :D

Regards!

Hazys wrote: »
    Skinny jeans...no

...maybe they're for ballet dancing! :D

Now for some Hardcore Techno - bring on the noise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Pugmister

If you want nice bootcut thats not over the top like the Jack Jones and River Island jeans go for Diesel Zathans. Another option would be Diesel Zatinys which are still bootcut but a slimmer opening almost bordering on straight. Most important thing is go for what you are comfortable in otherwise your just going to end up looking try hard.

Ive seen a heap of lads out on the town trying to pull off the straight jeans tucked into military boots look and they just fail because the are not completelt comfortable in what they are wearing leading them to be self conscious about it and as a result constantly trying to fix themselves.

Always go for comfort over fashion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Ya just go for straight or slim jeans and make sure end of the jeans themselves rest around or just above your ankle - looks better, smarter and naturally they won't shred to pieces around the soles of your shoes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

I think whatever suits your individual body type will always be in style, even if it's not what some fashion "guru" claims is in fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭GLUEY

samsamson wrote: »
    I think whatever suits your individual body type will always be in style, even if it's not what some fashion "guru" claims is in fashion.

And what may I ask would suit someone who is very skinny like myself?

Ya just go for straight or slim jeans and make sure end of the jeans themselves rest around or just above your ankle - looks better, smarter and naturally they won't shred to pieces around the soles of your shoes

...God no! Never above the ankle with anything except very wide leg jeans or trousers at 3/4 length. Jeans generally look well with a bit of length at the bottom - I'd actually go a little longer with regular jeans than I would with trousers - I wear trousers myself and you wouldn't catch me dead with them resting at or above the ankle - my trousers generally go down as far as the sole - my leg length is 30.5" and I wear 31" - even some of those, I've had to lengthen, so you can imagine what I'd do with jeans. IMO, jeans are generally good with a fairly wide hem finishing about 1cm down the sole.

Regards!

Ya I probably exaggerated or misspoke on what I meant - I think most Irish guys are guilty of wearing jeans with far too much length at the bottom, to the point you can barely see their shoes/runners (and what's the point then?) and the bottom of the jeans are in complete shreds and look a state. This is what I mean (where basically the end of your jeans never touch the ground)

http://www.asos.com/Replay/Replay-Jash-Straight-Jeans/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=776493&cid=4208&Rf19=161,160&sh=0&pge=1&pgesize=200&sort=-1&clr=Blue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

to the point you can barely see their shoes/runners (and what's the point then?) and the bottom of the jeans are in complete shreds and look a state.

But that's my style, lazy and not caring about my jeans :confused: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

GLUEY wrote: »
    And what may I ask would suit someone who is very skinny like myself?

I wouldn't know enough about dressing well to answer that I'm afraid! But I'd guess that wearing something like drain pipe jeans wouldn't work very well because it would just make you look even more skinny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭GLUEY

samsamson wrote: »
    I wouldn't know enough about dressing well to answer that I'm afraid! But I'd guess that wearing something like drain pipe jeans wouldn't work very well because it would just make you look even more skinny

Are drainpipes basically just skinny jeans?

Ya I probably exaggerated or misspoke on what I meant - I think most Irish guys are guilty of wearing jeans with far too much length at the bottom, to the point you can barely see their shoes/runners (and what's the point then?) and the bottom of the jeans are in complete shreds and look a state. This is what I mean (where basically the end of your jeans never touch the ground)

http://www.asos.com/Replay/Replay-Jash-Straight-Jeans/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=776493&cid=4208&Rf19=161,160&sh=0&pge=1&pgesize=200&sort=-1&clr=Blue

...yeah, that I would agree with - IMO, jeans or trousers should never touch the ground with shoes worn. Another thing I hate is the way in which the back of jean openings are cut in order to accommodate the excessive long leg lengths. However, I do think that this is now a lot less prominent than a couple of years ago.

BTW followed the link and yeah, the leg length is perfectly OK - the openings could be a little wider though!

Regards!

GLUEY wrote: »
    Are drainpipes basically just skinny jeans?

...well I guess the term can be applied to both skinny jeans and skinny trousers. Now I don't know exactly how thin you are, but generally very thin men are best in straight, taper (lower leg narrowed in) or narrow leg jeans/chords, but not drainpipes. Also, I am inclined to think that you should choose fairly loose tops in a heavier material (to fill you upper body out a bit) to go with your jeans/chords.

Others here might have similar or alternative ideas to what I'm saying! However, do get at least a couple of opinions if you're not sure. Also, the more important thing for you in relation to clothing is: are you comfortable in them? That's often a good indicator!

Regards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

who cares what's in fashion or not.

tbh anything you can buy in a shop is still in fashion.

I would disagree, what about all those glittery shops like Sugababe? And the constantly closing down mens sale ones?

And if you look at shops like topshop, often I find they're too fashion forward for the irish market (hence why a lot of people say they cant find anything in them).

Jeans wise I think bootcuts are out of fashion, its just taking irish men years to let go of them. On the continent its pretty much all straight leg, particularly in Scandinavian countries. My no means stop wearing them just because they are out of fashion, but I think straight legs look better on pretty much most men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭compsys

Hazys wrote: »
    Skinny jeans...no

Slim jeans...ya

Loose hip hop style jeans...no

As for baggy jeans, only MC Hammer can complete that look.

+ 1 for me. I think boot cut jeans look terrible on most people, men and women. If you travel almost ANYWHERE in Europe you'll see practically no one wearing them.

However, so many people seem to think that there are only two types of jeans; boot cut and skinny jeans. So when you tell someone that boot cut jeans are out of fashion they'll usually respond, 'but I don't like skinny jeans'. Well you don't have to...

A nice pair of slim, or even straight length jeans can look really nice and smart on a guy or girl. And because they're slim, and not 'skinny', the jeans aren't painted onto your legs a la Topman mode. I love the 'slim jim' jeans from Nudie. You can get them in Urban Outfitters or from their online store.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Ok so anyone any tips on where to get decent jeans in dublin. I was looking yesterday around grafton street area shops and coudln't find anything I liked and I figure there must be some jean shop haven somewhere with good stuff

Arnotts and Urban Outfitters. I get most of my jeans online though, once you know your what size fits you best you'll be grand, and much cheaper. Online I use ASOS and Yoox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

its virtually impossable to find a pair of jeans with some ball room honestly these tight ass straight cut and boot cut jeans are just too tight even the low and loose ones i mean im a 32/32 and sometimes i go for the 34 waist just too just feel comfterable

iv been looking everywhere in town for a pair of baggy jeans not skateboard baggy but not the ones that are stuck on you either in which most people wear these days sign of the times a joke all these fashoin queens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

Gstar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

Mens Health and now off the Rails...youve reached a new low Daithi

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I have loads of jeans of different styles and love them all. My favourites are boot cut Capital E Levis. Would love to get a second pair if them but can't find em in Ireland.

Never take tips of the tv, irish tv especially!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Gstar?

Gstar are more miss than hit, you'll find a lovely fitting pair of jeans there only to find they are bleached or ripped to bits.

then if you do find a good pair (i have two pairs that i really like from g-star) you take them to the till to see they are the guts of 150 euro. Not everyone can pay that much for jeans.

lordgoat wrote: »
    I have loads of jeans of different styles and love them all. My favourites are boot cut Capital E Levis. Would love to get a second pair if them but can't find em in Ireland.

Never take tips of the tv, irish tv especially!

I love levis myself but not the ones that country folk use as going to sunday mass jeans, they are so comfortable. I have a pair of bootcut 506's that i bought in urban outfitters and they fit like a loosely fitted glove (i like this fit just in case you're all wondering). Again levis aren't on the cheap side in this country this pair cost the guts of 100 euro.

very few irish men know about what's "in fashion" and what's not, so take advice from people on this thread instead of some plank on an dire irish tv show :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement