Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now for the next lot.

Options
  • 10-12-2009 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

We've seen the public sector workers get their comeuppence so it's time to take on another sacred cow in Ireland.

Despite the fact that they are being funded by us taxpayers the bank staff got a 4% rise a few weeks ago. So on top of their 10 -4 job, subsidised loans, attractive defined benefit pension scheme, ability to run development companies on the side and extensive holidays , they get a cherry of a 4% rise when the rest of us are being screwed.

It's time for the Gov to cut their salaries and bring modernisation to them. They've caused this mess with their reckless lending but don't seem to have to pay to clear it up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

soden12 wrote: »
    We've seen the public sector workers get their comeuppence so it's time to take on another sacred cow in Ireland.

Despite the fact that they are being funded by us taxpayers the bank staff got a 4% rise a few weeks ago. So on top of their 10 -4 job, subsidised loans, attractive defined benefit pension scheme, ability to run development companies on the side and extensive holidays , they get a cherry of a 4% rise when the rest of us are being screwed.

It's time for the Gov to cut their salaries and bring modernisation to them. They've caused this mess with their reckless lending but don't seem to have to pay to clear it up.

I think the next big one should be social welfare fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭aurelius79

Ahh, you forgot their 2 hour lunch. 10-12, nice lunch, 2-4. Must be great only having to work 4 hours a day on a nice salary with benefits. I can't even find a job sweeping floors in the local supermarket.

Go to the bank, get all your money out, then burn the damn thing down. (figurativly of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Most bank staff earn less than 40k a year which is a lot less than the average in the PS. Many had their savings invested in their own banks shares and have seen their savings wiped out. Many are worried as to whether they will have a job next year or a pension to collect in 20 years.

The people working in the branches are usually on crap money and have had to put up with an awful amount of abuse from customers this year. They are the ones who received the pay rise, not the management.

The same senior staff who managed the banks are still there, the Regulators office is still there, there's still a thousand people working in the Central Bank, the Department of Finance is unchanged and banks can still legally give out loans of 6 times peoples salary. Do you think you have your targets right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

hmmm wrote: »
    Most bank staff earn less than 40k a year which is a lot less than the average in the PS. ?

Apparently most bank staff work for unprofitable banks and lose money, demanding more from the government. Saving a billion on public sector salaries doesn't mean much when the lousy bank staff need 7 billion to keep running.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

We've seen the public sector workers get their comeuppence.. .

AwJeez.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Bank workers are interchangeable with public sector workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭soden12

Most bank staff earn less than 40k a year which is a lot less than the average in the PS. Many had their savings invested in their own banks shares and have seen their savings wiped out. Many are worried as to whether they will have a job next year or a pension to collect in 20 years.

What is the average wage in the banks ? I see plenty of "poor" bank staff who have second properties in Ireland or abroad. Of course with a 10-4 day they had plenty of time to look around for property.

Other people had savings in shares and no-one gives them a payrise to compensate for the losses ..
    hmmm wrote:
    The people working in the branches are usually on crap money and have had to put up with an awful amount of abuse from customers this year. They are the ones who received the pay rise, not the management.

The rest of us ordinary joes are losing jobs and the poor bank staff are getting a payrise ? That doesn't make sense. Is it only the non-unionised workforce who has to suffer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Bank workers are interchangeable with public sector workers.

Is that so. I am going to change my wife for a bimbo independent young woman from my bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

The same senior staff who managed the banks are still there, the Regulators office is still there, there's still a thousand people working in the Central Bank, the Department of Finance is unchanged and banks can still legally give out loans of 6 times peoples salary. Do you think you have your targets right?

Any chance of some facts and figures to back up this claim? Are you trying to compare most bank staff with most PS staff or average bank pay with average PS pay? Are you comparing before or after the budget? Are you including bankers bonuses in this?
    Be clear in your statements instead of throwing out bland comparisons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

So.. your like suggesting a special bank worker tax ? I dont even know where to begin tbh :rolleyes:

The banks are funded by the government, not owned by it, in order to do that they would have to be nationalized. The idea of the bank deals is that we give them money, they give it back with interest, just like any other investment, it doesn't mean we should start dictating how they run their businesses and wonder why they crash and burn when the government implements stupid vendetta policies against them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Pensions will be the next one. Pensioners marching etc. will have less sympathy next time we need cuts.

Everybody else took the pain so................

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Of course with a 10-4 day they had plenty of time to look around for property.

The rest of us ordinary joes are losing jobs and the poor bank staff are getting a payrise ? That doesn't make sense.

If you're going to have a bank rant go ahead, there's plenty to rant about, but most of your points in the OP are incorrect.

To take two, you've mentioned a 10-4 day. Those are the hours a customer can walk in the doors of a bank. That is not the same as staff working hours.

About a pay increase, the only one I've heard of recently was AIB staff for 3% and the Union rep in the Last Word said this was for lower grade staff after the union brought the bank to the LRC. If there's something else that happened let me know.

AH yes "lower-paid" that's the banks unions version of "Frontline"...

More of the poor mouth,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

I said "lower grade" not "lower-paid", please don't mis-quote me. Don't know what Frontline is so can't respond on that.

The point I was making is that the things you were complaining about in the OP are mostly incorrect and if you're building your argument on them then it can't stand, instead use examples that would support it.

The point I was making is that the things you were complaining about in the OP are mostly incorrect and if you're building your argument on them then it can't stand, instead use examples that would support it.

Alas, Outshined, that's not how it works in this forum. In the case of attacks on the public service exaggeration and expansion of a grain of truth is par for the course. Bankers can except the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well, Soden 12, First it was the Public service, now the Bank Staff. Why dont you go find a tree and bring a rope with you while you're at it. You contributions are rubbish.:eek:

At least the Greens would approve of this forum, the rubbish posts are recycled again, and again, and again and .......

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

ardmacha wrote: »
    At least the Greens would approve of this forum, the rubbish posts are recycled again, and again, and again and .......

Indeed.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I was going to apply for a job in a bank, the starting wage was less than i was being paid for working behind a bar at the time. Plus the only way to progress in a bank was by passing exams, so i said feck that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

What do you mean "less than 40k", do you mean perhaps 39k, 20 k, what exactly. While the average public sector salary WAS 46k, this was with little prospect for future improvement. Those in banks have the opportunity to climb the ladder etc and earn vast sums of money.

Secondly, how can they be worried about jobs, afterall, although the banks really messed it up for the rest of us, good aul NAMA is there to make sure that those in the banks keep their obs and their nice pay rises.

We also have to remember that the ESRI figures comparing public and private do not take into account bonuses, benefit in kind etc that those in the private sector receive. So its all baloney.

• Advertisement

Well, Soden 12, First it was the Public service, now the Bank Staff. Why dont you go find a tree and bring a rope with you while you're at it. You contributions are rubbish.:eek:

Do you not get it ?

Through incompetence the banks went to the edge of destruction, cried boo-hoo and got billions of our money to help them and gave themselves a payrise while they were at it.

There are people who have suffered massive paycuts or lost their jobs and they are being hassled by bank staff smugly sitting in their warm offices making threatening calls during the few hours that they work.

The banks were bailed out by you & me but they don't want to help their own customers in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

i dont think they sit in their warm offices with a smile on their face thinking, " great, im gonna ring another poor bastard and take his money". thats not the way it works im afraid.

also does anyone see the irony in ps workers giving out about people working 10-4... this debate is going round and round and round. the bank is a privately owned company so technically the can do what they like until the governtment owns majority shares in them. then we can go get our pitchforks and burning torches.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

1. Not all bank staff got the pay rise, very few actually got it.

2. Where did you get the idea that they get 2 hrs lunch?? Anyone i know works in the bank gets in at 8.30 and dont leave till 8.30 that night.

3. If anyone in the banks is to be attacked its the top ones, they are the ones that got the pay rise not the normal staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

What do You work at OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

2. Where did you get the idea that they get 2 hrs lunch?? Anyone i know works in the bank gets in at 8.30 and dont leave till 8.30 that night.

I have mates that work int he bank, and they are home 15 minutes after their shifts end...

If they are getting paid 10-4, they work ten to 4, if 8 to 8 they are paid 8 to 8....

So I'm sure if your mates are working 8.30 to 8.30 they are well paid for it or have days off or something in lieu.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 koplegend

AH yes "lower-paid" that's the banks unions version of "Frontline"...

More of the poor mouth,

As I work in the public sector I will be off to Newry tomorrow to get all the pressies! Just been checking out the prices. Will probably save enough to stay for a night.
    Then back to cater for the needs of the moaners down here.

Such is life!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

To clarify its not all bankers who got payrises.. Must only be the big suits.. My mother works on the desk in a bank, no payrise, works 9 -5.30.. Savings as shares worth f8ck all...

This **** of "all bankers caused the problem" is annoying.. It was the small amount of high level suits in their offices in the docklands..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

Despite the fact that they are being funded by us taxpayers the bank staff got a 4% rise a few weeks ago.

1. I haven't seen any pay rise for 2 years. Don't know who got those 4% but it wasn't me or any of people I know in the bank. There will be no pay increses for the whole 2010 and more than likely 2011.

2. Lunch only 1 hour, which is a pure theory. I often spend lunch at my desk with the sandwich doing some work in the meantime. Other breaks? Yeah, 10 minutes in the morning to pop out to the local Spar and grab a can of coke.

3. Famous bonuses, in shares. Can be now used to wipe me ar**

Witch-hunt...again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

I've waited a long time before talking about the public sector issue, but this seems like an appropriate forum.

I've worked in both the private and public sector and am currently working in the public educational system. It is SO easy to bash the public sector but at least consider the following:
    • Myself, and most of my colleagues, are on yearly contracts with NO job security.
    • I'm at my desk at 7.45 in the morning and I work as late as is required to finish my work (6pm or later).[/B]
    • I pay the income levy, pension levy and these new tax increases. I pay a pension levy for a pension I will not benefit from, since I'm a temporary contract worker. I supported the pay cuts because I realise the dire situation the country's finance is in.
    • I have absolutely NO benefits/allowances/entitlements/expenses. I don't get overtime. I don't get allowances for uniforms, travel, etc and don't expect them.
    • Last year, I took on extra job in my department and was paid 3000 extra. This year I was asked by my boss to do it for free and I agreed.
    • 44% of public sector workers are on less than 30,000 a year. Most of us are just getting by.

I've no problem taking a pay cut, but what absolutely sickens me is every time I read a paper or turn on the radio I hear some ill-informed commentator blaming the public sector for the recession. These drastic cuts will save the government 1 billion, and in a few weeks time we'll be "investing" 4 billion into Anglo!

Why do people blame the public service workers? Because it's easy. It doesn't take much thought or analysis. These people don't consider:
    • Who caused the property crash? The over-ambitious developers... The reckless banks... and yet its both the public and private PAYE workers who's going to pay the price. Why are we divided against each other?
    • Who brought in bench-marking? The government. How many private sector workers have refused a pay increase? If it's offered, people will take it.

Please Please Please don't follow the bandwagan!

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

Why do people blame the public service workers? Because it's easy.
    Yeah, maybe it's time to talk about the loaded builders, who used to screw us for years, getting incredible money for carrying a bucket of sand from one side of the site to another?? I've heard many stories about overtimes, sleeping on site as Da Boss wasn't around, yeah, why not?

Who knows, maybe they caused the bubble (IMO they are defo part of it) and now are whinging about the bankers and public service?

Advertisement