Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questionable payments is the budget?

Options
  • 10-12-2009 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭

I was looking through all the expenses in the budget and came across some questionable ones. Maybe someone could clear things up for me as I don't really know a lot about this.

-Contribution to the EU budget- 1,495 million in 2009, 1,540 million in 2010

That's one and a half billion....going right to the EU....during a massive recession. This is not even service to the national debt. What the hell is it and why are we paying it?

-Oireachtas Commission- 124 million in 2009, 118 million in 2010 budget.

So are these the accountants and paymasters? I'm having trouble figuring out what they do exactly. I know it was set up in 2001 by Charlie McCreevy, who employed a consultancy company by the name of Deloitte & Touche (screwed us in 2005 with the HSE computer system). Have a look on their wiki page and go to 9 Notable current and former employees, you might be in for a surprise. Anyway, any info on why we pay the commission 125 million a year would be great.

-Marathon Petroleum Ireland Ltd.- 11 million in 2009, only 4 million in 2010

This company owns and operates the gas field platforms in Kinsale and has 18.5% interest in the Corrib thing. Now Marathon Petro Ireland was bought by Star Energy Group (Petronas) for 180 million euros Dec. 17, 2008. Not really sure why our government is paying an oil company to take our oil. Shouldn't they be paying us?

-Asian Development Fund- 9 million in 2009, 9 million in 2010

Payments to the Asian Development Bank, whose aid has made possible such great humanitarian projects like the Trans-Afghanistan gas pipeline, Offshore oil and gas development, and micro finance support for some of the world's most impoverished people. Great bunch of folks there.

-Payments to the IDA- 18 million in 2009, 18 million in 2010

Now I'm all for charity and helping those less fortunate but the IDA doesn't do that. The IDA is part of the World Bank, which buys up the poorest developing countries then sells them to the highest bidder. Should we be paying the World Bank 18 million euros during the worst recession in the history of the State?

So what the hell are we paying for exactly as we face yet another massive emigration?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

aurelius79 wrote: »
    -Contribution to the EU budget- 1,495 million in 2009, 1,540 million in 2010

That's one and a half billion....going right to the EU....during a massive recession. This is not even service to the national debt. What the hell is it and why are we paying it?
    It's like it says, our contribution to the central EU budget (to pay for agricultural subsidies, roads etc etc). Ireland actually receives more than that from the EU budget in return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭aurelius79

Aren't things like agriculture and roads paid for by our goverment? Isn't that what the 581 million euros in Transport, 800 million in Local Government, and 1 billion euros in Agriculture goes to? So what exactly does the EU budget pay for here? I need specifics because that just doesn't seem to add up to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Since you are at a computer why not look up what the EU expenditure in Ireland is and tell us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭aurelius79

ardmacha wrote: »
    Since you are at a computer why not look up what the EU expenditure in Ireland is and tell us.

As I said in my first post, I don't know a whole lot about these things. I don't know where to look for an itemized list of EU expenditure in Ireland.

Advertisement