Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what the hell did i do wrong this time!!!! (making cookies)

Options
  • 10-12-2009 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

right; mixed softened butter, sugar, egg yolk, vanilla extract, plain flour, cocoa powder, chocolate chips and some salt all to a recipe books recommended amounts
    End result after baking on grease proof paper at 190C for 15mins was cookies that tasted "like ingredients" and were incredibly soft and breaking apart extremly easily to the point where it was impossible to remove a singel cookie without it breaking.
    Another 5mins baking and then took out the tray to let cool
    eventually hardened but still taste terrible
    What the hell went wrong?!
    only thing that was different was instead of caster sugar I used brown granulated sugar.
    any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Cookies are often soft when they come out of the oven and need to cool on the tray. You may have overcooked them by putting them back in.

The granulated sugar will have made a difference too.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Possum66

adamski8 wrote: »
    right; mixed softened butter, sugar, egg yolk, vanilla extract, plain flour, cocoa powder, chocolate chips and some salt all to a recipe books recommended amounts
    End result after baking on grease proof paper at 190C for 15mins was cookies that tasted "like ingredients" and were incredibly soft and breaking apart extremly easily to the point where it was impossible to remove a singel cookie without it breaking.
    Another 5mins baking and then took out the tray to let cool
    eventually hardened but still taste terrible
    What the hell went wrong?!
    only thing that was different was instead of caster sugar I used brown granulated sugar.
    any thoughts?

First don't use grease proof paper, its rubbish, use baking parchment. Dont use granulated sugar it is too coarse to make nice cookies. Soft brown sugar gives you a smoother, nicer texture.

You might want to try lowering the temperature with 10 C. And use a longer baking time...

When you think that the cookies are baked (and still in the oven) gently lift one with a spatula. If the bottom is still sticky, give them another 5 mins in the oven.

Take out the tray and let it cool for a couple of mins. Then gently lift your cookies off the paper, and slide them on a rack. This way they will cool off quickly, and harden up. As it was mentioned, cookies are usually soft right after baking, they need time to harden up a bit.

I hope this helps...

Advertisement