Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to study for poetry?

Options
  • 10-12-2009 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Advice please. Specifically Adrienne Rich as we are doing her now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

Advice please. Specifically Adrienne Rich as we are doing her now.

read your notes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Learn the poems off by heart and quote them like mad. Worked for me during my LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

Also, remember a few things about the poet and throw them in when doing your answer. Worked wonders for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

Notorious wrote: »
    Learn the poems off by heart and quote them like mad. Worked for me during my LC.

I wouldnt do this...
    There are usally only about 3-4 lines(learn them) in a poem that have great significance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Daragh101 wrote: »
    I wouldnt do this...
    There are usally only about 3-4 lines(learn them) in a poem that have great significance.
    Yeah you're suppose to show the examiner that you've thought about the poems, analysed their meaning and have had some sort of personal response to it. There is no point regurgitating the poem when you have nothing to say about it.

Read the poems that you're studying and write down what you like about each poem, note the relevant themes, interesting quotes, what images or language the poet used that you though was effective, all the sort of thing. Once we've done this you should be able to spot reoccurring themes etc
    It's very handy to have a list like this make out for each poet; you can use it as a rough essay plan or just for quick revision. Other than this just familiarise yourself with the notes at the back of the book (assuming there are some since I don't know what textbook you have :o).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

Adrienne Rich, pah! Don't make me laugh:p

On a more serious note though, learn off the quotes that are relevant to the theme. Some background reading of the poet couldn't hurt either, just so you know where they're coming from on the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

get notes....summarise into a copy and keep re-reading over and over....as the exam approaches write down 8 key points an quotes to go with those points on a sheet an just read it a few times a day...really does help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

What I find helpful when writing about poetry is:

1) Learn the backround of the poet and the poems they write. Nothing to fancy so you can show the examiner you know a bit about who you are talking about. As for knowing the poem`s backround just know when it was written,the mood the poet was in etc. Your book should tell you this info(mine does anyway). May seem obvious but it works :)

2) Quote,quote,quote it works everytime! Learn the ones your teacher tells you and just keep writing them down in your class assignments,thats how I learn my quotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Understand the poem first :p

nah heh just learn off atleast 4 quotes from each poem and us them to descibe themes and such,did it today and worked out very well,got about 6 pages for just 4-6 quotes a poem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭coughlan08

do ordinary level
    :):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

erm.. the way i did it and found it useful if you learn the poets backround, helps to understand the Peoms. and dont learn full poems, learn a line or so of each verse!

Advertisement