Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bono Tax: Will It Work?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Time and time again i hear this Bono doesnt pay tax crap! Where does this come from? Ok i am aware the corporate company U2 pay tax in holland, but as a domiciled, resident and ordinarily resident Bono would pay tax in Ireland, he isnt U2, U2 is a company not 5 guys collecting money after a gig and divving it up.

Tall poppy syndrome in this country is rife!

boo-bloody-hoo, do you want us all to shed a tear for the poor persecuted multi-millionaire?

setting up a company in holland is just another way U2 used as a tax dodge, they should be paying their fair share just as the paye workers are expected to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Barracudaincork

boo-bloody-hoo, do you want us all to shed a tear for the poor persecuted multi-millionaire?

setting up a company in holland is just another way U2 used as a tax dodge, they should be paying their fair share just as the paye workers are expected to do.

No not shed a tear, growing up would be a good place for you to start though!

What U2 have done is what the Irish government are encourging other companies to do here, by keeping the corporation tax rate at 12.5%, i suppose you think all those foreign corporate employing people here in Ireland are out of order for doing so, or are you just close minded and can only relate to when money leaves the country and not comes in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

yea, like those bastards in Intel, Google, pfizer, Microsoft, and hundreds others, who set up in Ireland just as a tax dodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Diarmuid wrote: »
    yea, like those bastards in Intel, Google, pfizer, Microsoft, and hundreds others, who set up in Ireland just as a tax dodge.

Those companies employ many thousands of people who contribute taxes to the Irish economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Barracudaincork

Those companies employ many thousands of people who contribute taxes to the Irish economy.

and? Go on, make a valid point now please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

200 grand is only chicken feed to them guys,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

podsieboy wrote: »
    i suppose now that some familys are on the dole and not even able to scrape by i suppose bono and sir bob will start doing a band aid to help the familys of ireland and britain
    i doubt it.....

In 1986, they did the Self Aid concert in Dublin to highlight the 1/4 of a million unemployed in Ireland at the time & raised a few million for the Self Aid Trust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 za

Thats not right, 200000 tax if your income is over 1 million.
    so what if there high earners that dosent mean they should pay an extra 200k. They would already be on the higher band of tax rate, so this new tax is unfair.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

za wrote: »
    so what if there high earners that dosent mean they should pay an extra 200k. They would already be on the higher band of tax rate, so this new tax is unfair.:mad:

you dont understand this tax at all clearly

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

za wrote: »

It applies to non-residents, i.e. people who aren't "resident" in Ireland (in legal terms) i.e. people who don't pay any tax here. It really is a publicity stunt by the Government, it'll be tough and expensive to enforce but it gives people a choice, pay a flat 200K or join our tax system and pay tax like a regular worker. It most certainly doesn't levy both on anyone.

• Advertisement

nesf wrote: »
    It applies to non-residents, i.e. people who aren't "resident" in Ireland (in legal terms) i.e. people who don't pay any tax here. It really is a publicity stunt by the Government, it'll be tough and expensive to enforce but it gives people a choice, pay a flat 200K or join our tax system and pay tax like a regular worker. It most certainly doesn't levy both on anyone.

Pure tokenism.. much the same as when BER Certs were made a "legal requirement" for the housing sector. Unenforced tokenism.

Pure tokenism.. much the same as when BER Certs were made a "legal requirement" for the housing sector. Unenforced tokenism.

BER certs aren't that bad. Making them mandatory was a pain but it's one way of enforcing a standard and encouraging better development standards I suppose.

BER certs aren't that bad. Making them mandatory was a pain but it's one way of enforcing a standard and encouraging better development standards I suppose.

The development standards were, and, are already there in the form of the Builiding Regulations. The problem is that nobody enforced/ enforces them. So adding BER regulations on top of that, with little or no enforcement makes fe*c all difference. All it achieved was to create a lot of income for a few training compamies & a lot of income for a few selected tenders from the "jobs for the boys" crowd.

The development standards were, and, are already there in the form of the Builiding Regulations. The problem is that nobody enforced/ enforces them. So adding BER regulations on top of that, with little or no enforcement makes fe*c all difference. All it achieved was to create a lot of income for a few training compamies & a lot of income for a few selected tenders from the "jobs for the boys" crowd.

If they enforced top level environmental standards in the Building Regulations people would go pretty crazy though. I agree about the jobs for the boys aspect though, it's a handy money spinner for a few people.

If they enforced top level environmental standards in the Building Regulations people would go pretty crazy though. I agree about the jobs for the boys aspect though, it's a handy money spinner for a few people.

Part of the problem is that the minimum standards - which is what the Building Regulations set out to be - were very rarely enforced. The big problem is that the minimum standards - as set out in the Building Regulations - were far too low. Add to that, almost zero enforcement, greedy "developers", greedy councillors & politicians & easy credit from the banks to build...

And people wonder how the bubble has burst?!!

Let's tax Bono. That'll sort the problem.

Advertisement