Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freezing pastry

Options
  • 11-12-2009 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I can't seem to find a straight answer to this online. I'm making a beef pot pie this weekend and plan on using pre-made puff pastry. Once cooked, can I safely freeze the portions, and more importantly heat them up later and they'll taste pretty much as good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I make the filling and freeze it in bags. Then when I'm doing a few pies, defrost the filling and a roll of pastry and just make them up.

Is that what you mean or do you want to have them made up and then freeze them as pies?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I make the filling and freeze it in bags. Then when I'm doing a few pies, defrost the filling and a roll of pastry and just make them up.

Is that what you mean or do you want to have them made up and then freeze them as pies?

I have one large baking dish that makes about 6 servings, so ideally, I'd cook the whole lot, divvy it up and freeze 5 of them. I was thinking if this doesn't work, I'd need to get my hands on 6 smaller baking dishes (ie a ramekin, maybe?) and do it the way you suggest, but I'd really like to be able to just do 1 dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I would think so. Plenty of supermarkets sell ready meals or frozen meals with cooked pastry on, don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I find that frozen pastry (homemade) seems to roll out really good. Defo do it, it's so handy and CHEAP!

Advertisement