Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saxophone

• 11-12-2009 12:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

is it hard to learn? is there anyone here who plays one that could advise me on how long it would take me to learn one?

thanks

Stephen. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭BSOM

is it hard to learn? is there anyone here who plays one that could advise me on how long it would take me to learn one?

thanks

Stephen. :)

Hi Stephen,

Saxophone is a wind instrument so it can be difficult at first but once you get the correct Reeds and your breathing correct it works out well. In terms of learning it all depends on the student, some people take to it very quickly. Practise is paramount, there is only so much a teacher can do in a class so its up to you as the student to put the work in between lessons.

Most students will pick up a simple song withing 10 - 14 weeks, again dependent on practise. We have some students to are already playing some simple songs after a term but they practise everyday for at least 20 - 30 mins.

Hope the information helps,

J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

BSOM wrote: »
    Hi Stephen,

Saxophone is a wind instrument so it can be difficult at first but once you get the correct Reeds and your breathing correct it works out well. In terms of learning it all depends on the student, some people take to it very quickly. Practise is paramount, there is only so much a teacher can do in a class so its up to you as the student to put the work in between lessons.

Most students will pick up a simple song withing 10 - 14 weeks, again dependent on practise. We have some students to are already playing some simple songs after a term but they practise everyday for at least 20 - 30 mins.

Hope the information helps,

J

is the instrument itself an expensive one? and what advice would you have in relation to buying a new one? or second hand? I hear there are different types of saxophones which one is the best to get when a beginner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Done and dusted

is the instrument itself an expensive one? and what advice would you have in relation to buying a new one? or second hand? I hear there are different types of saxophones which one is the best to get when a beginner?

Hi Stephen,

First of all I know sweet damn all about wind instruments...but heres my two cents.

My mate went out and bought a alto saxophone, he never played sax before. He was recommend to get a cheaper second hand one (he payed 300 for it) and he seems to have taken to it really well.

So I guess my advice (and please people correct me if I'm wrong) would be to get a second hand one and see how you take to it. If you enjoy it and want to get really into then perhaps purchase a good brand new one.

Hope it works out for you mate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭BSOM

Hi Stephen,

It is quite an expensive one to start for a good one, though you can rent off Paul Ryan in Templebar for 3 months with the option to buy. Lidl we doing quite good ones for €299.00 aswell. In terms of ease when starting the Alto Sax is said to be the easiest one to get onto. I would rent one from Paul Ryan or buy a new one. Gives you a person/shop to go back to and also it makes it easier if you want to sell on.

Regards,
    John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭odonopenmic

Hey Stephen,

I took a fancy to playing one myself. Got lucky and bought one that was in working order on ebay then got it serviced and tuned by Paul Ryan in Templebar. He's great - really nice guy and gave me some good tips. For the sax, it was 115 including p&p and I got the tune up for 130 - it needed a few dints knocked out of it.

When I was looking I found the cheapest new sax in Belfast, think it was £169 but with the exchange rate you're still laughing. I think that's your best bet or see if Paul Ryan would have any tips on second hand or starter sax. I'd really advise you to go talk to him one way or the other.

So anyway, after getting it, I bought a simple chart showing the notes and taught myself. Took about 3 weeks to be able to play most songs in a basic key. As for how long it takes to learn, really depends on the person. My friend plays trumpet and I can't, for love nor money, get a sound out of that and vice versa, he can't get a thing out of the sax. I hadn't played a wind/brass instrument before but I found it kind of like a big shiny tin whistle! Once you get the flow of the fingering and breathing the rest is just practise.

Obviuosly, my technique is probably shocking and lessons are always a good thing but I think if you knuckle down, practise really hard at the start, even watch a few tutorials on youtube etc. you should be grand. Go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

Hi there,

definitely get a second hand one,
    My sax cost 500 pounds over 10 years ago,
    I'm probably the third or fourth person to own it, but it has a really nice tone to it.
    It's probably cheaper now with the internet and all too.

In terms of which is easiest to play, I would suggest the alto,
    I found the mouth piece of the tenor easier to blow but it's harder to circulate the air around them, ditto the baritone.
    Sopranos are prone to going out of tune.
    Also a cheaper sax can sound better if you get a good mouthpiece and reeds. But that's something you will do if you decide it's something you want to spend the money on.

In terms of learning, the fingering is simple enough to pick up and if you can already read music and stuff then that's a head start.
    The harder part is controlling your breathing, pitch, tonguing and the actual volume and tone.

I could never find a teacher when I started learning, and there was a new baby in the house that limited my willingness to pratice so in terms of how long it takes well practice is key I think!
    I got quite good when I was older but sadly it's not something I kept up which saddens me a bit now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your replies and help with the saxophone. I bought a second hand one from a pawn shop, but its brand new, and was never used for 250 euros it was orginally 299.99 but got it to 250 euros. I'm paying it off at the moment though.

I dont know anything about alto, soprano and tenor and really dont even know which one it is. I did have one last question, about the tuning...how many times do you have to tune it?

thanks again,

Stephen.

Advertisement