Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilcullen, Co. Kildare

Options
  • 11-12-2009 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi, My partner & I are looking into buying in this location, as I don't know the area very well I would love if anyone could help me out. As Im workin in Dublin is there good transport etc, whats the area like? Appreciate any help or advice :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

Have only ever drank in Hideout.
    There's the C&P (Cross & Passion) School for Girls Only.
    There's Berneys' Saddlery there too.
    Rapid Express/J.J.Kavanaghs' do 10-15 Buses from there a day (Waterford-Dublin) & I think they or Bus Eireann do a Village/Town Link to Nas na Riogh too.
    Bus Eireann also do Buses into Dublin.
    Bus Stop is opposite Frazers' Garage there on L.H.S. for Both.
    Same on way out for J.J.s.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 premiercounty

The closest train station to Kilcullen to access dublin is from newbridge I think. Bout 5 miles. Maybe you would be better off moving there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Kilcullen is a great place to live. We bought here 3 years ago. My OH born and bred in Dublin wasn't too sure until we moved in. Now we know that we will never leave. It became home so quickly.

There are busses to dublin fairly frequently.
    There are busses to Newbridge fairly frequently too.
    If you want cinema/clubs/dunnes/tesco/ you have all that 10-15 min drive away. And you have the supermarket in the town.
    The fountain chipper does the best chips in the country.
    There are a suprising amount of good places to go for dinner in the town.
    The town itself is very pretty, there are some lovely walking areas.
    There are schools in the town so it is somewhere you could raise a family here.
    The people are lovely (well most of them).
    It's a great place if you own a dog (lovely walks, brilliant vet in the town and a great kennel for when you go on hols)
    Really, we love the place and we are just blow ins.

I wouldn't recommend Newbridge over Kilcullen, there are two very different feels to the areas. Newbridge is a lot bigger and more townie. Kilcullen has a village feel. Really, come to Kilcullen. Come On!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭cashville

The school is mixed, not girls only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

As you're working in Dublin try to buy a bit closer, or somewhere with a train station and competing Dublin Bus service. Where Dublin Bus and the train compete, eg Maynooth line, ticket prices are much cheaper. DB don't serve Kilcullen, Newbridge, etc.

As well as being much cheaper the Maynooth line runs to the city centre to link up with the DART etc, whereas the Kildare/Newbridge line only runs to Heuston.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭loveforcelbridg

What's kilcullen have taht celbridge doesn't ?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭32finn

a smaller crime rate hehe!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

The fountain chipper does the best chips in the country.

+1 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I have been living in Kilcullen for just over 2 years.

I cant comment about the walks that were previously mentioned as ive never explored the town. In fact, i only found out a few weeks ago that there was a park! haha :D

Everything is really close by which is really handy.

I commute to dublin every day so its handy being so close to the motorway.

Ive only had hassle in the town once when i was living there a few months.
    Since then i havent had any hassle though.

Tis nice enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Sinann

I was born in Kilcullen (so I'm bias) and am back living there again, it's great to be back, the town has grown a lot in the past 20 years but it hasn't lost it's community spirit.
    It make take a while for a new comer to discover what a friendly place it is but with a little effort you can find a triving community that supports each other and has a lot of fun.
    It's worth checking out A KILCULLEN DIARY (online blog)which will give you a feel for the town and get to know the locals, The Bridge magazine on sale in local shops each month is also a good way to check out local clubs and events.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭thecleverone

As you're working in Dublin try to buy a bit closer,

Shur the Red Cow Luas station is only 20 minutes up the motorway. Kilcullen isn't that far from town.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 caitt

Hi

I was doing a search for Cutbush and I came across this thread - can anyone tell me a bit more about the area - plan to take a drive but thought I would ask here as well - eg schools, church, shops, pub, restaurants, noise, traffic etc etc. Much appreciated.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 21 davem75

Hi caitt

Did you move into the area of Cutbush what is like.

Interested myself as have started to look around Cutbush and Newbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Nadser

Cutbush has a primary school, a shop and a pub. That's pretty much it. It's a townland as opposed to a village. It's less than five miles to Newbridge and Kildare though.

Advertisement