Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sandisk Extreme 3 CF 2gb and 4gb in Currys for less than €10

• 11-12-2009 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi all.

Just to let ye know if your local Currys or PC World have stock of these cards left they're selling them off for €9.97.

Any questions just give me a shout.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

I must check down in Waterford to see if they have any

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Thanks for the heads-up :D

I picked up a couple of Extreme III 2gb cards this morning (no 4gb's left though). Very handy to leave in the bag as back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Is it appropriate to grumble about the time I paid about €300 for a 1GB compact flash, back in 2002 ? Worth their weight in Gold they were ! I don't think I've given out about it in a while. You young whippersnappers with your ten euros ...

Also, around the same time some clueless kodak moron in Sydney tried to charge me over 200 dollars to burn the thing to disc. The biggest card he was used to handling was 64mb, and they charged (for some stupid reason) according to size. 64mb was 20 dollars, so he multiplied by 10 according to what would fit on the disc :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Nice one OP.

I picked up a couple of the 2GBs.

If anyone is interested, Curry's in Carrickmines have some still left in stock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Must call into PC world in Naas this evening....Thanks for the heads-up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭PabD

Looked in PC World Blanchardstown and none there but had a look in Curry's next door, none there either however the SanDisk Ultra II 2GB is scanning in at €5.90, There was a few still there.

(Curry's outside not the old Dixons inside the centre now called Curry's);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

None in PC World in Jervis St. In fact, there was a complete absence of every CF card that was in there just a couple of weeks ago. They may be withdrawing them from some of the stores to redistribute to the bigger ones for clearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭GavinZac

Anyone see these in Cork? I'm usually grand with my two but thats a good price - funny how your mind says "you cant pass that up" when you have no real need for something :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Lidl have 4GB High performance Micro SD HC card with SD adapter for sale next monday at €11.99, has anyone here used one of these in their camera.

Got a 4GB one in naas. They had a few of each left. The box of the one I got had already been opened, but don't bother me. Both 2GB & 4GB were €9.97

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭32finn

Got a 4GB one in naas. They had a few of each left. The box of the one I got had already been opened, but don't bother me. Both 2GB & 4GB were €9.97

naas here i come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

pc world in waterford had 4 gb cf cards for 44.99
    when i asked if there was a special offer on these i was given a blank stare, but no reduction

longshanks wrote: »
    pc world in waterford had 4 gb cf cards for 44.99
    when i asked if there was a special offer on these i was given a blank stare, but no reduction

Ask them to scan the boxes and they show up as being 9.97. They are incorrectly priced.

Same thing happened to me today

swingking wrote: »
    Ask them to scan the boxes and they show up as being 9.97. They are incorrectly priced.

Same thing happened to me today

will do, be back in 15 mins with tales to tell

Do tell, I'm in the car and about 20 minutes from PC World in Airside (iPhones are miracles). I called them but they quoted me the full price on the 4Gb and 8Gb (all they had). If they scan differently, I'll detour into it.

anyhoo, went back and asked the girl to scan the card but it was still 44.99 as they only had lexar cards, all out of the san disk ones. she was fairly helpful in fairness, pulling up this thread and ringing other stores. from this we gathered the following info, cork have 11 cards left and carlow has one left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Thanks for that Muttley

Just ran over there and got a couple of 4Gb. Have to go back now and get a couple for my Bro.
    Didn't appear to have too many 4s' left but seem to have 20+ 2gigs still hanging up.

That's in Currys - Nothing in PC World.

Whoops! Nearly Forgot - That's Cork, Mahon Point, BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Currys in Galway still has a stack of them.

Currys in the Pavillions has some 2Gb Extreme IIIs left. I'm not sure how many they have left as I just bought eight, but there's certainly three or four there as I left. They're labelled as €35 but, as longshanks said, they scan as €10.

Edit:
    it seems the discounted price only exists in Currys. I nabbed a 2Gb Ultra II for €6 while I was there, which was €40 in PC World (the first place I tried). That could explain why some people are getting the cheaper price and others aren't.

NakedDex wrote: »
    Currys in the Pavillions has some 2Gb Extreme IIIs left. I'm not sure how many they have left as I just bought eight

8 Cards :eek:

I thought I was bad buying 4

I guess you won't be running out of memory anytime soon :D

• Advertisement

Add those to the rest of the Extreme III and IV cards I already have and I think we're hitting the twenty mark. I have a bit of a thing for memory cards, since I tend to lose them and rediscover them months later rather regularly, or use them to save backups of programs in the absence of a USB drive (which I have an even worse record with).

Something I noticed about these CF cards, which anyone else who got some might confirm if they can, is that they seem to be the older version of the Extreme III. The read/write speed is 20Mb/s instead of the usual 30Mb/s I have on my other Extreme III cards. It may explain the clearance-grade price tag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭WedPhoto

Is it appropriate to grumble about the time I paid about €300 for a 1GB compact flash, back in 2002 ? Worth their weight in Gold they were ! I don't think I've given out about it in a while. You young whippersnappers with your ten euros ...

Also, around the same time some clueless kodak moron in Sydney tried to charge me over 200 dollars to burn the thing to disc. The biggest card he was used to handling was 64mb, and they charged (for some stupid reason) according to size. 64mb was 20 dollars, so he multiplied by 10 according to what would fit on the disc :rolleyes:

OMG DaireQuinlan i feel your pain!!!! Outrageous prices!!! But i bet you felt like a superstar with that 200 dollar disc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Muttly

Glad to be of help everyone. I did notice a large lack of 4gb cards this afternoon in Cork. Still loads of 2's left. Just ask when you go in as there are a load in boxes on the floor next to them.

NakedDex wrote: »
    Add those to the rest of the Extreme III and IV cards I already have and I think we're hitting the twenty mark. I have a bit of a thing for memory cards, since I tend to lose them and rediscover them months later rather regularly, or use them to save backups of programs in the absence of a USB drive (which I have an even worse record with).

Something I noticed about these CF cards, which anyone else who got some might confirm if they can, is that they seem to be the older version of the Extreme III. The read/write speed is 20Mb/s instead of the usual 30Mb/s I have on my other Extreme III cards. It may explain the clearance-grade price tag.
    Mine is 30Mb/s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

my first mp3 player was a philips rush, it took flash cards, cost me 350euro in richer sounds dublin beside x music on the quays, gone now a long time. disque was just down past them, best record store for techno at the time.
    most people never heard of mp3's then and the ipod wasnt out yet.

anyway I ended up buying a 64mb card, for 50euro!

I think those cards are still expensive now on ebay for old pro audio samplers, prob not as much as they used to cost tho

Mine is 30Mb/s

Guess I just got unlucky. Although 20Mb/s is still plenty fast for general use.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭32finn

got the last one in pc world naas last nite, gift!

wonder how long it will be before we see these on adverts!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Just got the last 4Gb one in Currys in Carlow. The box is a bit battered but I don't mind after paying only €10:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

It looks different to my other SanDisk Extreme III though but they are both 30mb/s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Have you all got no shame, taking advantage of such a mistake in such way is quite immoral. What has become of the nice Irish catholic people? I mean you all went into all the curry's stores in Dublin and fleeced them of these great products. I wondered if Curry's had noticed their mistake and so I went into one of their stores and when I asked about the chips I was told that they were no longer available.

I mean where do you get off going in and robbing such an offer from me, I had to go to many a store before I eventually found one, ONE, 2gb chip. This is totally disgraceful. I demand first dibs on the next such mistake! :p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

My card caught a cold last week and I lost everything on it and I didn't think that could happen so only had some copies of some pics on it...bah!!

So I had to pick up another and went to Tesco. I got a Sandisc 2gb for 8.99. The price is advertised so it's not a scanning error. Now I don't know if it's an Extreme or such like...it says Cruzer Micro 2gb on the back...8.99 seamed ok to me.

Holy god what a mare to get out of the wrapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Muttly

Have you all got no shame, taking advantage of such a mistake in such way is quite immoral. What has become of the nice Irish catholic people? I mean you all went into all the curry's stores in Dublin and fleeced them of these great products. I wondered if Curry's had noticed their mistake and so I went into one of their stores and when I asked about the chips I was told that they were no longer available.

I mean where do you get off going in and robbing such an offer from me, I had to go to many a store before I eventually found one, ONE, 2gb chip. This is totally disgraceful. I demand first dibs on the next such mistake! :p
    I assure you its no mistake. Its just a stock clearance item. I'll keep an eye out for other such bargains and post them up when I see them.

I was in Currys in the Pavilions again today. There was still three left on the clip-strip beside all the Sony Alpha cameras (I was tempted to buy them but I thought buying eleven cards in two days was taking the mickey a bit). I think they're just getting rid of them because nothing in their product line actually uses CF cards anymore. Until recently one or two of their SLR's still accepted CF, as well as a couple of the DVD players (as codec cards), but they've all been steadily replaced by SD compatible equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I got two 2gb Ultra cards from Currys Carrickmines less than 12 euro for both of them great buy for that price. I don't think they had many more.

Cionn

Advertisement