Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learn to make Pizza's??

Options
  • 11-12-2009 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Is there anywhere you can either get a class on it, or a good resource website that shows you step by step how to make one. Really want to learn to make the american style pizza's.
    Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

All there is to making pizzas is learning to make the base and then a sauce of choice. It's harder to imagine something easier to learn how to make properly.

There are some great vidoe's available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

+1 Pizza is dead easy to make. Your base recipe will be something like: 400g strong white flour, teaspoon salt, some butter/olive oil (couple tablespoons) a sachet of dried yeast and about 200ml of warmish (about 20-25degrees C) water. Mix thoroughly (you can use a stand mixer if you're lazy like me), cover with cling film and allow to rise (somewhere warm - hot press?) for about an hour.

Knock it back and you can probably divide it in 2 for 2 pizzas. The unused dough will keep quite well in a freezer.

Topping - I just use tomato puree, straight from the tube and spread thinly over the base once I've rolled it out. Get the mozzarella in a bag in any of the supermarkets - one ball is plenty for a single pizza, chop it roughly into thinnish slices. Then afer that, you can do exactly what you want. I like pepperoni slices on top, but it depends on your pizzaphilosophy - either lots and lots of toppings, or keep it simple!

oven wise - about 180 or so in a fan oven, then keep an eye on it - 8-10 minutes will see it done rightly.

Edit: American pizza, is deep pan base, right? Don't know whether my thoughts would be useful to you in that case...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I got a savage recipe for pizza dough which I'll dig out for you later. It calls for ice cold water, chilled (strong) flour and other things, then leaving it overnight. I've only tried it once but was amazed at the results. Animal! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Look up "jamie oliver pizza" on youtube and you'll get a good video. (I cant get the link now as I'm in work and youtube is banned)

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

Try this, quick easy and uncommonly good................jaysus!

Ingredients

400 gr plain flour

200 ml warm water (very important its warm)

Pinch of salt

1 Sachet of dried yeast

4 soup spoons of sunflower oil

Tomato Sauce for pizza

Mix everything together into a ball and wrap in cling film for a minimum of half an hour before use in a dark place. This mixture makes approx 4 thin pizza bases. Roll out and sprinkle your toppings over the tomato sauce.

Cook in a very hot oven for about 10-15 mins.

My favourite toppings are grated mozzerella cheese, sliced tomatoes, chicken, olives and chilli peppers. Aldi have a great jar of pre prepared jalapeno peppers.

Enjoy!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ybbi

Thanks everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭worded

Once the base is made try this

Mix olive oil / garlic powder / oregano / basil.
    Use a brush and paint it on. Then add your sauce.

Its really tasty that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Saturday night is pizza night in this house and it is so simple that my 6 year old is responsible for making the base and I do the rest.

We use Dough Program in the breadmaker. He puts the water, flour, salt, sugar, olive oil, and yeast into the machine and we walk away and let the machine do the rest.

The pepperoni comes from Lidl - a 99c packet does 2 pizzas. Pineapple - lidl for 32c. Chicken tandori from Lidl 1.26. Mozzerla cheese again from Lidl - can't remember price.

The pizza topping is one tin of tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, onion,

We get 2 pizzas from all of this.

The kids love making it - it's mainly their job. I make a baguettes (dough made in machine) and bake it as garlic & herb bread.

Another thing make with the pizza dough is Pizza Fritta - deep fried pizza dough served hot with honey on top - yum yum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've never tried to make pizza before so I'd be interested in giving it a go. I'm a little worried I'll mess up the base, though.

Don't be worried it's easy as pie. Although, if you find pie hard to make.....

No, scratch all that. It's easy. Easy peezy. If I can do it, you can do it, it's that easy. A bit of patience, some mozzarella and other toppings and a hot oven and you'll never look back.

• Advertisement

Khannie wrote: »
    I got a savage recipe for pizza dough which I'll dig out for you later. It calls for ice cold water, chilled (strong) flour and other things, then leaving it overnight. I've only tried it once but was amazed at the results. Animal! :)

Savage recipe not yet posted...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Gave this a go this evening and turned out pretty well!

pizzaaspx.jpg

Base:

175g plain flour
    1.25ml salt
    5ml dried yeast
    120-150ml likewarm water
    15ml tablespoon of olive oil.

I double this for tonight's mix.

Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl and stir in the years. Make a well in the centre and pour in the water and oil. Mix to a soft dough. Knead the dough on a floured board for around 10 mins until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl, cover with cling film and leave to prove for about 1 hour. Turn out onto floured surface and knead a little more. I then divided this into 2 pieces and put one onto a baking sheet on top of a tray.

Toppings and Sauce:

For the sauce I used some sort of Polish tomato extract/puree from Supervalu, some oregano, basil, cayenne chilli powder and a little bit of oil. Mixed those together. Meat was just ham and sliced chorizo and then some cheddar and mozzarella cheese.

Into the oven for around 16 mins at 180C. Job done. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭worded

I heard a good idea was to bake it on a quarry tile.

Like so
    http://www.salvo.co.uk/images/userimgs/22886/25172_1.jpg

Ive a few for sale on adverts ...

Ah just jokin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Lord Panic

worded wrote: »
    I heard a good idea was to bake it on a quarry tile.

Really good idea. I got a pizza stone for this very purpose, makes a huge difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

Was talking to a friend last night about pizza making, i had told her about Tipo 00 flour and she said she had tried strong flour and tipo 00. She found Tipo 00 was harder to manage, roll out etc.
    Does anyone else have an opinion on this?
    She said they both tasted great

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

tipo 00 = cream odlums = egg pasta
    tipo 0 = strong white odlums = pizza

Lord Panic wrote: »
    Really good idea. I got a pizza stone for this very purpose, makes a huge difference!

How so? To the freshness, texture..?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

How so? To the freshness, texture..?

mainly because the pizza base will reach an higher temperature which will cook it differently (crustier)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I use self-raising flour, some tepid water and a little olive oil for the base. Nothing more. Works out just fine.

Someone told me you can get frozen bases in Tesco. I think I'd still prefer to make my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭niall_belfast

Pizza really is easy to make.

In case anyone is interested, there's a short "how-to" on my blog - hopefully you'll find it useful: http://www.chilliandchocolate.com/pizza-perfection/

In terms of the base in prefer using a non-stick metal pizza dish for cooking the pizza - the holes in the dish allow for a well-done base that is crisp. The pizza stones work on the same principle - except these are heated first to start cooking to bottom of your pizza base straight away.

And your own bases will taste far lighter and better than anything you can buy from the supermarket freezer!

Thanks for the link. 250-300 celsius seems very high!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I made a batch of pizza dough on Sunday - had pizzas for lunch two days running. The first batch were too thin and the oven temperature too high. The second attempt produced a much better result. Cooked on a pizza stone at 230c for 12 minutes. The dough included 200g of semolina flour which adds to the crunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭niall_belfast

Ha! Thanks Black Oil - good save! Bit of a typo there - "centigrade", obviously - just to emulate the heat of a wood-fired oven..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thanks for the link. 250-300 celsius seems very high!

Not really a good wood fired Pizza oven can get to over 400C Pizzas cook in just a minute or two.
    But you must be able to put the pizza on the base of the stove or effective heat transfer doesn't occur, you get undercooked bases and over cooked toppings otherwise.

BTW Centigrade and Celsius are the same, Fahrenheit is a different scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

There is a jamie oliver pizza stone in boots for 10.50 euro at the moment in includes the stone and stand a slicer and a parmesan grater a jar of olives and a jar of mixed herbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Heres my attempt, the little one took 10mins at 180'C and the bigger one took 15mins.

Bacon and mushroom with homemade sauce.
    P1010862.jpg
    P1010878.jpg
    P1010887.jpg

It tasted really good but next time im gonna make the base thinner :pac:

CC

Good work there, CC. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Yeah, just really stetch the base out , as you roll, but do it in even directions, so that it stays round. However, have all the ingredients ready before you add them on, cause the sauce will soak into to it, if you leave it too long. So lash it all on at once, and flake it into the oven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Make sure your sauce is cold or chilled before you apply it. This helps if your base is very thin.
    Wet ingredients like pineapple, give them a squeeze so they are drier and not dripping wet, avoid fresh tomato as it will make a pizza soggy very quickly.
    I like to brush the rim of the pizza with oil and sprinkle cornmeal on it to give some texture and colour.

Advertisement