Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excellent Map Site

Options
  • 11-12-2009 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭

Just discovered this a few hours ago and been playing on it every since.

http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publicviewer/main.aspx

You can view an aerial photo of your area in 2005.. then 2000... then 1995. You can then view the historic maps of the same area dating back well into the 1800s.

The best bit is that you can overlay the 2005 aerial photo onto the 1830's map. Enough here to keep you occupied for days !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

If anyone is interested, the XY readings you see in the box on the left are grid coordinates.

They use the Irish Transverse Mercator ITM system. You can use online converters like the one at Fielden Maps to change these to GPS coordinates you could use in a Satnav, or for hiking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Technique

Excellent site.

So what year is Historic?

And what is Historic 25i?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Technique wrote: »
    Excellent site.

So what year is Historic?

And what is Historic 25i?

The historic 6 inch maps are from around the late 1830s.

The 25inch maps are from late 1880s to 1919.

Its interesting to switch between old maps and recent aerial photographs to see things like houses that disappeared under the lake when they built the dam at Ballyshannon.

The modern maps and photo layers have been on for quite a while now. The historic maps used to be in a separate members area. Another recent change is the addition of the Osi watermark to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Myself and young Irish1999 spent ages looking at the ballyshannon lake bit last night. Amazing how many houses and even a castle were covered over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Brilliant site!
    Thanks for posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

That is a brilliant website, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Great find OP. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

I began using that site after someone mentioned it (was it J-Wales?) in the Carrickfin stone circles thread. One can use the historic layers feature to pick out lime kilns and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

thats where I saw it too, its a v useful site for locating megalithic sites also

just goes to show how great O'Donovan, Larcom, Colby et al really were.

Thumbs up to ROI archivists who have put all this stuff, the 1911 Census, Griffith's Valuation and the Lawrence Collection on line.
    Great Work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

interesting to see how bad the 1830's maps are as well.my OH says they didnt spend very long in donegal - which is why some old roads are missing round my house yet the detail is there on the later one !

maybe the roads weren't there in the earlier maps because... they were not there.

Donegal was one of the first counties surveyed, I believe.

Must go and consult my Paper Landscape book.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

it stopped working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

ha ha , take a look at the main road on the letterkenny side of newtown, 2005, wonder who the slow fecker is i hate that part ofthe road always someone doing 20mph :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I can see my house :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You need software to access the historical maps?

I found the cottage; would love to find when it was built.

What is interesting is that what seems to be a farm track nearby shows up as a road?

the old tracks and bohereens are very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

Anyone having trouble getting the Historic 25i view working?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes....
    Hungerford wrote: »
    Anyone having trouble getting the Historic 25i view working?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

Yeah the 25i is a big loss. as it was very accurate and interesting. Its been down at least a week now...

• Advertisement
Advertisement