Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just wondering how many here option select and plink?

Options
  • 11-12-2009 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭

I've only recently gotten into it the last few weeks, I can honestly say so far option selecting hasnt in any real way impacted my game plinking on the other hand helped massively with a particular link I was practicing.

So any opinions lads?

(This is in SFIV by the way just if anybodys wondering)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm trying to learn plinking, too. Finding it hard to apply mid-match, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭DeCoR18

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'm trying to learn plinking, too. Finding it hard to apply mid-match, though.

I think you could be suprised how fast you'll build it into your game. I certainly was anyway thought it would be very awkward but now its second nature.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

For those not 1337 enough, like myself, to know what plinking is :)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=943711&topic=51418578

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fake_roogle

I prefer double tapping to plinking. Plinking is easier and very handy at times, but only applies to SFIV, where as you can use double tapping in any FG. Don't have much in the way of OS with Balrog, only one I'd use frequently is tech OS. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I plink cr.shorts always, use OS crouch tech whenever I remember (not much as gief). Use cr.short/ex hand OS on wakeup sometimes as gief now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

I don't really get it and what is option select exactly?

But from what I gather about plinking, would something like Akira's Standing Knee qualify as plinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Only recently started using option select for teching. It works brilliantly actually so I use it all the time now. It completely shuts down the guessing game as to what your opponent is going to attempt on wakeup. If they try to throw you tech, if they don't you get a jab out. I try to always plink my throws now regardless.

Plinking is needed for Akumas pseudo 2 input demon as well. Haven't mastered it yet. Much prefer the fireball bait demon or the standing hk demon (can't for the life of me consistantly pull off the crouching mk demon :confused:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Don't use P-linking, don't see why, I can link fine as it is. As a Ken player the only real links I'll use anyway are the BnB cr.jab, cr.short, cr.jab (or any other similar variation), linked into a fierce shoryuken. That's simple anyway

On bigger character I'll use cr.short, cr.jab, cr.fierce xx whatever. (it's a more difficult link but I can hit it grand as it is).

Other than that and maybe the odd cr.forward here and there, that's all I really link with Ken.

Option select I use with Ken is after a HK/EX Tatsu. Hold d/b, when they go in for a throw/tick, I press jab + short. If they throw, I get tech, if not I get a free cr.short. If they block, I'll go into block string/kara throw/ whatever. On hit I get a free combo

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

L31mr0d wrote: »
    If they try to throw you tech, if they don't you get a jab out. I try to always plink my throws now regardless.

Speaking as someone who until he saw this thread thought option select was where you choose the volume level and plinking some sort of abseiling sport, coudl you elaborate on this a little? sounds like something I could really use against shotos.

EDIT: I mean, if I am reading right, If someone is walking in witha 50/50 on a throw or a jab, if I hit jab and then immediately hit throw, it'll pick the right one? Am I reading this correctly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

How do you option select tech anyway? I always just mash on tech like an idiot and it doesnt work but I still do it anyway :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

bush wrote: »
    How do you option select tech anyway? I always just mash on tech like an idiot and it doesnt work but I still do it anyway :(

I find if you arch your fingers so its like a stabbing motion it's much easier to mash out a tech :D

I think the problem arises because you're not being precise enough in pressing them at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

EDIT: I mean, if I am reading right, If someone is walking in witha 50/50 on a throw or a jab, if I hit jab and then immediately hit throw, it'll pick the right one? Am I reading this correctly?

You plink the throw inputs, so plink lp~lk. You are pretty much hitting them right after each other.

Go into training and try it out. The way I do it is that when I'm going for a throw my middle finger is half an inch lower than my index finger, so that my middle finger hits lp and then my index finger hits lk almost immediately after. If you are doing it right, in training you will see 2 output lines, the first being "lp" the second being "lp+lk"

The "option select" refers to the fact that the game chooses which option it thinks you meant to press for. So if the opponent tries to throw the game assumes you meant to tech it, if the opponent does nothing, the game decides you wanted to do a jab.

Basically you are telling the game "select the best option for me"

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

L31mr0d wrote: »
    You plink the throw inputs, so plink lp~lk. You are pretty much hitting them right after each other.

Go into training and try it out. The way I do it is that when I'm going for a throw my middle finger is half an inch lower than my index finger, so that my middle finger hits lp and then my index finger hits lk almost immediately after. If you are doing it right, in training you will see 2 output lines, the first being "lp" the second being "lp+lk"

The "option select" refers to the fact that the game chooses which option it thinks you meant to press for. So if the opponent tries to throw the game assumes you meant to tech it, if the opponent does nothing, the game decides you wanted to do a jab.

Basically you are telling the game "select the best option for me"

You 100% sure this works?
    The way I understood OS was if you input cr.LP+LK and they attepmted a throw you'd tech and if they didn't you'd get a cr.LK as you can't throw while crouching.
    If you inputted LP~LK+LP what you'd get would be a LP then 1 frame later a LP+LK command, but if you had time to input the LP and for it too start(1 frame) then you'd be thrown out of it's startup, causing it to be untechable. :confused:
    Unless I've misunderstood something surely this wouldn't qualify as a true option select like cr.LP+LK as what happend would be dependant on your timing, not on what the opponent did.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Option select tech is just teching while crouched.

You can't throw an opponent while crouched but you can tech.

If your opponent goes for throw you get the tech, but if you he does something else a cr.short comes out which is usally quite fast.

Basically I find it handy against Blanka's cross up spam. I can just mash option select during his block string and not worry about him getting a throw as much although mashing is never fool proofy. Also help the fact that Blankas overhead is slow so option select will throw out cr.short to beat it.

Still mashing option select can cause you to get hit in a block string which isn't a good thing either.

I don't think there's a need to plink on an option select thing. Basically when you input LP + LK while crouching you'll get a cr.short. You can only throw someone when standing, but you can tech while crouching. Which allows for the option select, like I stated before

Opponent goes for throw, you input LP + LK while crouching, you get tech
    Opponent goes for something else/blocks, you get a free hit confirm combo/block string/mixup

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

After Newtype explained option selects a little and demonstrated them in the recent ranbat tournament I've been somewhat trying to incorporate them into my game when fighting certain characters. As far as I know they only work on some while not on others. SRK forums has tonnes of info on the different option selects for different characters and against who or when they will work best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CzpKOD1v1I

kickass new ultradavid gief OS video

Lemme go off topic here for one sec

In 3s, AFAIK, I remember SGGK was the equal of an option select, right? Some of them were pretty hard though

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

Ramza wrote: »
    Lemme go off topic here for one sec

In 3s, AFAIK, I remember SGGK was the equal of an option select, right? Some of them were pretty hard though

your are totally correct, i've only start playng 3s recently, its far better than sf 4 imo

• Advertisement

meducation wrote: »
    its far better than sf 4 imo

Totally agree :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Thought I'd bump this as Lord Of Ultima has put together a brilliant video on option select.

(Even after reading about it, I still hadn't a clue what people were talking about and used to nod dumbly - "Ohhh that option select, oh yes of course I know.)

Advertisement