Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem textig someone that changed networks

• 11-12-2009 12:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭

Can anyone shed some light on this...

Have a friend who was with O2 and changed to Meteor in the last few days. I'm with 3 at the moment and I tried texting her earlier today, Message failed...

Treid again a few times tonight, did a few things like changing her number to +3538etc... deleted all my messages, turned phone off and on, basically anything that I thought might do anything. :D Tried sending messages again, failed again. So I rang her number and it's telling me it's out of service.

Strange thing is, she can text me no problem.

So does anyone know from experience, with 3 being a UK based provider, do network updates and what not somehow mysteriously take longer, kinda like a DNS lookup refreshing or something meaning to them her number is cancelled with O2 and not yet active again on Meteor, or is this some other weird witchcraft with no real explanation?!

Cheers for reading anyway. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,449 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Have you tried replying to a text from her?

Do you have credit? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Elbows

Have you tried contacting her from a different phone? Pretty sure ported numbers can contact out before they can receive - give it a bit of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's a problem with how her phone has been ported over and the "redirection" of her number. At a basic level, when you text her, the text goes to O2 initially, who see that she has moved and redirect the text to Meter's network and onto her phone. Similar when making phone calls.

She can text fine because the Meteor network doesn't care where the text is coming from.

In this case at some point in the connection, one of the networks is reporting, "Number unknown".

Tell her to contact Meteor customer care and get them to fix her subscription.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Thanks for the replies fella's.

Yes I have credit, thought I'd covered all possibilities of obviousness in the first post, but obviously not. ;)

Elbows: She says she's receiving texts from other people fine, whether these people are on Meteor as well or not I'm not sure, but she didn't just changeover yesterday when I tried, ya know?

Seamus: Thats pretty much what I thought alright, something along the lines of the completion process of the switchover. Still not working today, so next time I manage to chat to her I'll let her know.

Thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Exact same problem happened me when porting from O2 to Meteor. I couldn't receive texts from the 3 network but everything else was fine.

Unfortunitly they couldn't solve it with each network blaming the other and eventually I left.

It's stupid but no one seemed to care. I took it to the top with numerous registered letters, technical descriptions and everything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement