Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

32mm, 36mm and 40mm PVC

Options
  • 11-12-2009 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

Is 32mm PVC pipe a reasonable replacement for 1"? Is 40mm otherwise known as 1 1/4?

The reason for my confusion is that I've got a y connector that is marked "36 ( 1 1/4 )". It is 36mm but this is closer to 1 1/2. However, I've seen conversion tables that suggest 40mm == 1 1/4.

Both 36mm and 40mm appear to be available in most DIY stores whereas 32mm is rarely available. What is 32mm PVC normally used for and why is it difficult to buy? A plumbing supplier in Ranelagh managed to find a couple of lengths of 32mm but suggested that I should use 36mm or 40mm in future. Should 32mm pipe be avoided in the future and what size is a reasonable replacement? The 32mm pipe actually works well ( the pump fittings are 32mm ).

BTW: This is used in an aquarium. The 32mm is used for the water pumped into the tank and 40mm is used to drain.

Thanks for any guidance or wisdom you can offer ...

EDIT: Fixed mistakes and added more information

Advertisement