Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scaring a bull

Options
  • 11-12-2009 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

Is it possible to scare a bull off by shouting at it and raising your arms in the air. Ever since I saw the movie "Withnail and I" (A movie which I've now watched over 10 times) I've always been wondering if this i possible.

The scene I'm talking about starts at 2.25 and ends at 3.30.
    Warning:This video contains strong language.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Eh I doubt it, hes probably more likely to charge at you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Woow_Aqualung

I thought so much myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Try it from behind the fence....

I thought so much myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

It's possible to get killed doing something as dumb as that. Don't get in the field with him, don't taunt him, ye'll get along fine. If he's in your field, get out of his way calmly and quietly.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

johngalway wrote: »
    It's possible to get killed doing something as dumb as that. Don't get in the field with him, don't taunt him, ye'll get along fine. If he's in your field, get out of his way calmly and quietly.

The man talks sence,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

hells bells i wouldn't enter a field with a bull,you'd have to be nuts:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Yes, calmly and quietly but without turning your back on him !! Dairy bulls especially, they are MEAN!!!

Sometimes you do not realise there is a bull there....Until too late...

:eek:
    joyce2009 wrote: »
    hells bells i wouldn't enter a field with a bull,you'd have to be nuts:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

yers ago(late 70's)when i was a kid i was on holidays in Clare with my family and we were driving around these narrow roads wide enough only for ourselves, when we rounded a corner to be face to face with a bull.neadless to say we stopped cos he was taking up the whole road,,dad stopped the car cos he was afraid to backup everytime we moved he seemed to eye us more,he didn't even want to beep the horn incase it startled him, so there we sat untill eventually the farmer came out of the house and saw why there was a car sitting there outside ,,he motioned for us to stay and left only to return with two other guys and they very gently got him to turn around and get him back in the yard.The poor farmer came over to appolagise but it was a buzz for me .. id never seem a bull so big so close before,:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Graces7 wrote: »
    Sometimes you do not realise there is a bull there....Until too late...

:eek:

In that case you've a.) not been paying enough attention or b.) you're someplace you're not supposed to be ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

Ya that would work.
    a lot of the time a beef bull is moved along the same way as other cattle.Unless your between them and their wimmin and feel they need to defend there herd they will generally turn and run rather than stand and fight.
    There's only a few bad bastwards who will charge you but you will have that will cows and bullocks as well.
    Dairy bulls however are a different kettle of fish though. when they are raised by people instead of their mother they are far more dangerous and are far more likely to charge you

Well no... As a bull spends much of the year alone, and if a field is tree edged,, it has been known for said field to look empty to someone out eg seeking mushrooms or blackberries until... AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!

Yes, written from experience... :)
    In that case you've a.) not been paying enough attention or b.) you're someplace you're not supposed to be ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Technically, yes, it would work. Wouldn't be my first preference of scaring a bull but it would work in most cases. However, it's best not to get into that type of situation in the first place.

Advertisement