Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on possible redundancy

Options
  • 11-12-2009 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

Hi,
    My flatmate is Japanese and came to Ireland last July 21st after being offered a job with a Japanese Agency dealing with students coming to Europe

Long story short the company is in financial trouble and she has been told by her boss that she can either take a pay cut (and she would be then earning less than minimum wage) or she can leave the company.

If she gets her wages cut I have said to her that she should only work the equivalent amount of hours that the rate would be worth to her as specified in her contract.

Would anyone know where she would stand, if
    A) she was fired
    B) if she was working only half a weeks hours.

Would she be able to get any support financially if it came to it?

She has been working almost 6 months, and her contract is until next July.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Going on the info you have given there she would not qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit. She can apply for Jobseeker's Allowance which is means tested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

and meet the Habitual Residency condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭spidermonkey

Thanks for the replies, it makes all the difference.
    I feels really bad for her, she's getting really stressed about it and she's such a nice person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Noelisgod

Thanks for the replies, it makes all the difference.
    I feels really bad for her, she's getting really stressed about it and she's such a nice person.

Your friends wages cannot be cut below €8.65 an hour as thats the minimum wage in Ireland - if the employer does this she can simply contact NERA (www.employmentrights.ie) and they can put a call into her boss for her.

However if her hours are being cut thats a different story and is legal

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

might be wrong but dont think the habitual residence will cover her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭spidermonkey

Thanks guys, things are looking a bit better for her at the moment, she was onto NERA and they gave her loads of advice and sent her out some information to be prepared in case her boss does try and bully her, she is well able to stand up for herself which is brilliant!

Advertisement