Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio Soap Opera???

Options
  • 11-12-2009 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Produced by RTÉ after they axed Harbour Hotel.

Does anyone know the name of it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Driftwood ?
    I think that was only a short series in 2004

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Driftwood ?
    I think that was only a short series in 2004

Thanks, I looked it up on the RTÉ website but it came back with a soap from 2004. The soap that I am talking about is from just after Harbour Hotel. Mid-1990s AFAIK. It ran for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

It was RiverRun :)

Simon

Can we listen to any of these anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

RTe.ie maybe?

• Advertisement

coldwood92 wrote: »
    RTe.ie maybe?

Got some on RTÉ archive website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

I do remember another one from the 1990's in that same pre- news at one slot called Konvienence Korner (yes with the K's). I'm open to correction here but I think it was written by Lee Dunne and was set in and around a shop in Dublin. I think it was supposed to be gritty urban radio drama. It goes without saying that it was not good, not good at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭rogercar

I do remember another one from the 1990's in that same pre- news at one slot called Konvienence Korner (yes with the K's). I'm open to correction here but I think it was written by Lee Dunne and was set in and around a shop in Dublin. I think it was supposed to be gritty urban radio drama. It goes without saying that it was not good, not good at all.
    There was also "The Kennedy's of Castleross" which ran from the fifties to the seventies, and "Glenmallon Park",not sure if that was before or after "Harbour Hotel". Anyone think that we should have a radio soap these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jimmykey

I used to listen to 'The Kennedys of Castleross' during the 1960s, but missed a lot episodes, because of school. It was originally broadcast on Tursdays and Thursdays only, then Fridays as well and then eventually five days a week. Towards the end of the 60s, they started broadcasting an omnibus edition on Saturday mornings. I think it finished around 1972 or 1973.
    I remember 'Glenmalin Park' began in the summer of 1973. I remember hearing the first episode. That soap was a flop.
    'Harbour Hotel' began in 1975. Barbara McCaughey played Kathryn O'Connell, who, as far as I remember, inherited the hotel or something like that. Jimmy Greeley, who later became a 2fm deejay and a newsreader, played Darcy Mulholland. Joe Taylor played stuffy Assistant Manager, Bob Ellis.
    Lee Dunne started off writing it, but later other writers took over. I have two scripts from 1978. I was trying to write for radio back then, but had never seen a radio script. So then producer, Sean Walsh, God rest him, sent me two scripts, to show me how a radio script was put together.
    I can't remember what year it finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Driftwood ?I think that was only a short series in 2004

that's the one I thought the OP was talking about.. Simon Delaney from Bachelor's Walk (and the Tesco Mobile ads) is the male lead in it.. You can hear all the episodes here..

Driftwood Episodes

• Advertisement
Advertisement