Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice please re: presant for hunting fan

Options
  • 11-12-2009 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi all,
    My father is a hunting fan, shooting rabbits etc and i would like to get him something related for christmas. I asked him today what sort of gun he owns and was told a 22 rifle?? (that means nothing to me).
    would anybody have any ideas of a a good presant, budget is approx 150 euro. I think he already has a good knife (would be willing to get him a new one), he has night goggle etc.
    Would i need to have more info re his rifle to buy accessories or should i just get him a voucher? (any ideas for where)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i'm tired of giving him socks every christmas :)
    Thank you,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,428 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How about some thermal clothes?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Cold weather gear is always good.
    Does he enjoy cooking the rabbits? In which case a recipe book could be part of the goodies, maybe a book and the gear to start tanning the skins?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Duffy's Fishing and Shooting in Galway do Gift Certificates, check out their web site. For me there is nothing better than poking about in a gun shop with money in my pocket!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Liam_D

Get him a SOG Powerlock Multitool. I got the girlfriend to get me one and for £55 it is better than most leatherman tools. Handy for most things besides shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Would i need to have more info re his rifle

My darling wife/mum/sister always went into my preferred firearm dealer at Christmas. If your Dad frequents a particular shop the staff there might well remember him admiring something or they might well know what accessories he already has including what sporting firearm(s) he has.

Here are some popular gifts that can be readily got in good firearm and outdoor dealers:

Bipod
    Some Shoot 'n' see targets for zeroing
    Ceramic knife sharpener
    Telescopic sight (and mounts)
    Hunting DVDs (usually not found anywhere except firearm dealers)
    Hand warmers
    Good pair of wellies (sounds lame but a good pair makes a HUGE difference)
    Sling for the rifle
    Sound moderator (he'd need to apply for a permit)
    Nice game bag
    A few boxes of match grade ammo
    Trangia stove
    Rifle cleaning rest/bench
    Bandolier
    Gators
    Rifle mounted lamp
    Electronic caller

Without having particular info on what he has we're only guessing (dreaming!)

Happy shopping!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

i'm tired of giving him socks every christmas :)
    There are socks, and there are SealSkinz:
    http://www.sealskinz.com/

I have a couple of pairs of their Trekking Sock, and they are nothing short of fantastic.
    I've found them to be utterly waterproof, and they're kept my feet warm and dry even when the rest of me is soaked and frozen.

I unhesitatingly recommend them to anyone doing anything that involves cold and/or wet feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

You can't go wrong with a gift voucher from his local gun (shop) dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Hi all,
    My father is a hunting fan, shooting rabbits etc and i would like to get him something related for christmas. I asked him today what sort of gun he owns and was told a 22 rifle?? (that means nothing to me).
    would anybody have any ideas of a a good presant, budget is approx 150 euro. I think he already has a good knife (would be willing to get him a new one), he has night goggle etc.
    Would i need to have more info re his rifle to buy accessories or should i just get him a voucher? (any ideas for where)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i'm tired of giving him socks every christmas :)
    Thank you,

Gift cert is the safe way to go he can then get what he needs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

Gift cert is the safe way to go he can then get what he needs

I think when giving a christmas present to a family member,
    nothing says I couldn't be arsed like a gift voucher.

Asking is the best course of action when buying a present for an adult,
    Santa will bring the suprises.

Dvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

hi Dgirl, i was in the great out doors just off grafton st a few weeks ago buying some new hiking boots .

you could far worse than a voucher from there.i would be more than happy with one .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Dvs wrote: »
    I think when giving a christmas present to a family member,
    nothing says I couldn't be arsed like a gift voucher.

Asking is the best course of action when buying a present for an adult,
    Santa will bring the suprises.

Dvs.
    on hindsight I could not agree more, my answer was c-ap, :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

considering the lady stated she knows noting about hunting or firearms.

but wants get a gift related to her fathers sport.it would be a fair conclusion to say a voucher for a outdoor store or gun shop would be a wise gift.

it was not like she was getting him a gift voucher to dunnes stores or mcdonalds .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭happyjack

Thats a lovely idea Dublingirl, it's nice to be thought of.

My wife finds it really tuff to get me gifts, she bought me an I-Pod once and was really disheartened when I just wasent into it. It's very tuff to get presents for some folks, especially if your not into their chosen sport, whatever.

I'd suggest phoning his friends and asking them what he's into right now in shooting. I've heard of this done before with great results. Another option is to offer to go shooting with him some time, I know, speaking for myself that I really enjoy it any time a family member shares a day/ hour sharing my sport with me, makes for happy memories for me and photos to.

I kept at my wife years ago until I got her to try clay pigeon shooting and she ended up becoming Munster female DTL clays champ that year! She learnt awhole new sport and really enjoyed herself, that was some years ago now. But I still have happy memories of the two of us heading out for a nights shooting together at the local clay range. Its nice to spend quality time with the ones we love.

Happy Xmas, whatever happens, he's lucky to have such a thoughtful daughter.

HJ:)

Advertisement