Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virus

Options
  • 11-12-2009 3:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up to people about the virus thats been going around the college computers this week. We've been advised not to use memory sticks but of course I ignored the warning and ended up with my laptop dying. Same happened to two other people in my class and it cost me €150 to get fixed.

The problem's been resolved now as far as I know but if you've used your memory stick at college all week I'd advise not to plug it into your own pc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ghostrider81

Both viruses are still active harps, was is in the library and labs today and there both showing up. It transfered from my pen aswell onto my laptop but the antivirus caught it. I would advise people to purchase some gud antivirus software, I paid 30 quid for mine, worth it in the long run

Wudnt buy the college antiv either, obviously doesnt work:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Harps wrote: »
    Just a heads up to people about the virus thats been going around the college computers this week. We've been advised not to use memory sticks but of course I ignored the warning and ended up with my laptop dying. Same happened to two other people in my class and it cost me €150 to get fixed.

The problem's been resolved now as far as I know but if you've used your memory stick at college all week I'd advise not to plug it into your own pc

seriously?!? with the size of the computing department, why wouldn't you get someone to fix it for free?

id gladly have done it for you! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Both viruses are still active harps, was is in the library and labs today and there both showing up. It transfered from my pen aswell onto my laptop but the antivirus caught it. I would advise people to purchase some gud antivirus software, I paid 30 quid for mine, worth it in the long run

Wudnt buy the college antiv either, obviously doesnt work:P

Which antivirus software have you? May as well install a few extra before plugging it in at home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

I took a worm home on my memory stick from college during the week but my AV detected and deleted it. (Eset Nod 32- worth every penny ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

seriously?!? with the size of the computing department, why wouldn't you get someone to fix it for free?

id gladly have done it for you! :p

Had to get a new Hard Drive so it still would have cost me either way. I had McAfee on the laptop but it never detected anything

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ghostrider81

Which antivirus software have you? May as well install a few extra before plugging it in at home :D

Im using Spyware Doctor from pctools, i have the full version but there is a free version aswell. If you have more than one AV running on the same machine they may conflict with each other, so jst pick one.Gdlk TPD:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

We were told to get AVG 9 free which seems to pick up the virus. I only use one computer in the college and it wasnt infected thank god, but I still downloaded avg9 and scanned my pendrive this morning and its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

ESET Antivirus is the best commercial antivirus available, I highly recommend it. There is also student discount offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Microsoft Security Essentials has found and fixed it. Free download here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

id recommend eset also.well worth the few euro.its quite lightweight too.avast is a great free alternative

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭GismoBaby

my friend put his infected usb into my laptop and my free AVG 9 caught the virus, ran a complete scan and it def didnt infect my laptop... he had real bother trying to delete it off his usb it kept saying it couldnt be deleted but the following day there was an AVG update and after he ran that he was able to delete the virus, it was the zolander virus from the college computers so if anyone cant get rid of it try that!!

Advertisement