Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap graphics tablet in Lidl next week

Options
  • 11-12-2009 3:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭

Now, obviously, it's not top of the range or anything, but overall, is there any reason to avoid this, it's only 50 quid after all.

I'd only use it for the odd sketch or touch up, but to be honest I'm getting sick of the using a mouse or trackpad for intricate stuff.

Link here

09_35270_b.jpg

Or is there anything better I should go with at a similar price point.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

get a small wacom bamboo instead for 60-70ish, they're by far the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Agree with the above re: Wacom. Much better. That silvercrest would want to be in the region of €15-20 for me to even consider it. €50 is too close to decent tablet prices. Youd be better off adding a few quid to the 50 and getting something that will last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 CptnRed

one thing it has over my wacom bamboo fun is that it has more programmable buttons. but i'm sure the build quality and support from the manufacturer isnt as good. I don't think it comes with half the free software you get with wacom as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭morningpeasant

I am also considering purchasing this tomorrow. I already have a small Wacom, but this is so much bigger and would make working much easier. I work with Photoshop. Could the quality really be that much different? It says it has about 1000 pressure levels; how does that compare to a Wacom?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

My (albeit limited) experience with cheaper tablets is that the pen often takes a battery to enable it to work.

This adds extra weight to the pen and just makes the balance seem "off".

I can't tell if this is the case with this one though.

Think most Wacoms are 1024 levels of pressure, with the higher end models a bit more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭morningpeasant

So I'd be better off sticking with my small Wacom than going for a bigger, cheaper model?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Probably, in my opinion.

Having said that, check out Lidl's return policy. You might be able to try it and return it if not suitable (my consumer rights knowledge is a bit lacking this time of night).

What size is your current tablet?

I used to have a A4 Wacom Intuos and actually found it a bit big, both for drawing and resting on desk/knee etc.

I'm currently using an A5 wide sized one and find it just about right which has roughly the same workspace as this one.

It's hard to tell the quality of the Lidl tablet without trying it but there's a good reason most replies to graphics tablet threads are "save your money and buy a Wacom".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Coolbrian

I bought this tablet the other day, its my first graphics tablet, it keeps skipping when Im trying to sketch on photoshop with it, I wonder is it my settings or is it faulty or just plain crap! I checked Ebay but didnt see any great deals for a wacom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

i bought this tablet in pcworld for i think it was about €60 at the time-

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0742552354.1261097465@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccjadejdljhfhdcflgceggdhhmdgmk.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=121899&category_oid=#productInformationSection

amazon price and customer reviews here-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trust-Slimline-Design-Tablet-TB-6300/dp/B0012RKTDI

there is that two inches of space around it alright but it does fit comfortably beside my laptop on my desk, the overall size is about 14ins by 12ins...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Coolbrian

Ok, Ive been messing around with it for a few days, its really bad! The one I have is faulty I reckon, nonetheless Im going in tomorrow for a refund and going to get a wacom instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 paul_k1

Good I didnt buy one. By the way pixmania.ie have a really good price on wacom tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

This is back in this week.

Just wondering if anyone that bought first time around can say anything to change the tone of this thread so far. Can't see myself as being a heavy user of this, possibly just for digitising some maps.

Sorry for dragging up the old thread but wanted to get reactions again of those that bought first time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭BGOllie

This is back in this week.

Just wondering if anyone that bought first time around can say anything to change the tone of this thread so far. Can't see myself as being a heavy user of this, possibly just for digitising some maps.

Sorry for dragging up the old thread but wanted to get reactions again of those that bought first time around.

saw the same one in pc world for a euro less that same day.
    ended up buying a wacom bamboo for 60ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

LongZ wrote: »
    saw the same one in pc world for a euro less that same day.
    ended up buying a wacom bamboo for 60ish.

Whereabouts did you purchase?

I'm still not sure that I'd use one of these but feel like I would find work for it when I got it! The main reason I'm thinking of getting one is for digitising map layers to use in a GIS. Does anyone here use one of these tablets for a similar purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

I bought one of these when they were in Lidl about a year ago. I've had no problems with it at all and quite enjoyed my time using it. It does take batteries to operate as Wacom has patented the wireless pen but it rarely wastes and I quite liked that bit of weight.

Having said all this, I recently sold it and bought a Wacom Bamboo. Can't say I found a huge difference though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 emmandm1

I bought one of these and find it pretty ok. It's very fast with my laptop and considering the brand, I've found it to be pretty good in photoshop. It doesn't give you the smoothest of lines when sketching but over all I'm pretty happy with it, much better than I thought it was going to be. There is no delay with it either which is great!

Advertisement