Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Explorer freezing frequently - please aid my cause

• 11-12-2009 4:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hola,

Not 100% sure where to post so please redirect if necessary, 1st time posting in Tech (Thanx)

Basically my issue is that when i have 2-3 tabs open in Explorer, along with runnning other applications (maybe word & iTunes), Explorer freezes, stops responding - other applications continue to run fine. So i use task manager to end task & reopen, thus asking if i wish to go back to previous session!

Me system is running on Vista, T1600 1.66GHz 2Gb RAM - is it not capable of running all these at once or what??

Your good advice shall be greatly rewarded...somehow!

Thanx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,015 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im no use diagnosing IE problems as I use it as very little as humanly possible. But to rule out the Browser try running an alternate for a while to see if you experience the same problem. You could do the same by just running IE and see if you encounter the crash when nothing else is running. It could be very dependant on what youre browsing as well.

for me 9 times out of 10 any program freeze is usually associated with a hard drive bottleneck though.

you can also try to use this program to track what your system is doing when these crashes occur and see whats bottlenecking the system: http://www.moo0.com/?top=http://www.moo0.com/software/SystemMonitor/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr Yellow

Thanx Overheal, really appreciate your insight here. Dont blame ya for not using IE!!

As for alternatives, what would you recommend given that my latop is retsricted in every sense?? (Vista, T1600 1.66GHz 2Gb RAM...! )

Will try using Explorer solo so i know if problem persisits. Gona read up on that system monitoring prog. too now...

Thanx again for the reply..

try the system monitor tool anyway to see if the problem is the browser at all.

As for web browser read here: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055766585

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭gav240

you could try reinstalling IE or maybe try firefox

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

in task manager you can see what is using the CPU time

if the total is less than 80-90% AND you have memory to spare then it's probably I/O to the disk

Don't forget to check for malware too

Also do a check on the HDD using hdtune or manu's diags

• Advertisement

Thats the thing, theres some bottlenecks that arent immediately apparent from the task manager: while you may see youre HDD light flaring up like crazy, the true bottleneck may actually be the Ram, etc. thats why I use Moo0 religiously.

Right now ive got a machine at work in bad need of a memory upgrade and another that just plain needs to be retired because of a ****ty CPU. And the other just has no business running a 24"W monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr Yellow

Thanks for all the responses.

Been running IE with 4 tabs, while no other application is running for last few hours and NO problems!

CPU usage was 0-5%, plugged in external hard drive & it jumed to over 50. Memory is ~1.04GB.

I'll try that system monitor next & see what happens.

Not the comst computer savvy so thanx again for the assistance..

Advertisement