Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat Individual Subect - LC?

Options
  • 11-12-2009 6:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hello everyone, I am wondering whether a student who has already finished their Leaving Cert can repeat individual subjects instead of the entire course.

I finished mine in 2007 and am seriously thinking about repeating some individual subjects, with no intention of carrying points or anything - just to clear some grades I was never happy with. I know there is another thread already on repeating but I am asking about individual subjects. Hopefully somebody here knows? :D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes you can.

The entry date for external candidates will be around late January. After that you will need to pay an extra 'late' fee.

I did my Leaving in 1980 and went back and took Art a few years ago. It counts as a repeat Leaving, even after 30 years.

See Information for External candidates

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

spurious wrote: »
    Yes you can.

The entry date for external candidates will be around late January. After that you will need to pay an extra 'late' fee.

I did my Leaving in 1980 and went back and took Art a few years ago. It counts as a repeat Leaving, even after 30 years.

See Information for External candidates

:eek:

I thought the final date was March-ish. Better get my act together. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tears in Rain

Hi, I'm doing something similar, I completed my Leaving Cert in 2005 and just finished a college course, however I'm planning on going back to college to do something completely different (the first course I did wasn't really for me).

I was planning on re-sitting one subject (Applied Maths) to try and get higher points, this is possible as I understand it right?

i.e. I have X points already, and by improving Applied Maths from a B3 to A1, I can get X + 25 points?

Hi, I'm doing something similar, I completed my Leaving Cert in 2005 and just finished a college course, however I'm planning on going back to college to do something completely different (the first course I did wasn't really for me).

I was planning on re-sitting one subject (Applied Maths) to try and get higher points, this is possible as I understand it right?

i.e. I have X points already, and by improving Applied Maths from a B3 to A1, I can get X + 25 points?

You cannot do that!

You can only repeat individual subjects to satisfy matriculation requirements, not points. You can only use points from a single sitting of the leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tears in Rain

OK thanks. Well that's somewhat disappointing, but I should probably have enough points to get in anyway :) Just wanted to increase points in one subject to make that probability more of a certainty!

Repeating 6 subjects in such a short time period is a little unrealistic, so I'll probably just continue along with what I have, and hope points don't increase too much in 2010 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Fad wrote: »
    You cannot do that!

You can only repeat individual subjects to satisfy matriculation requirements, not points. You can only use points from a single sitting of the leaving cert.

+1

Is it still the case for medicine that you can't satisfy matric requirements by repeating 1 subject?

pathway33 wrote: »
    +1

Is it still the case for medicine that you can't satisfy matric requirements by repeating 1 subject?

Yep, all subjects have to be done at one time afaik.

Advertisement