Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

public sector downing all tools indefinitely...is it a reality?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Will ye all give it up and leave us PS workers alone. Where were ye all a few years ago when the Private sector - especially those in the building sector were getting huge bonus for sales on overpriced boxes. Where are all ye cribbers when the banks made billions and gave it to the property developers who lost it all when the "bum" fell out of the market. These same developers are now selling these houses for many thousands less and still making a profit. Also I know for a fact one bank got a pay rise in October -I lost 10.5% of my salary last year between Pension Levy 7.5%, Income levy 2% and PRSI levy 1%. Now I face another pay loss which equates to €43 per week gross. Shortly I will not be able to afford to go to work - so give me a break and will ye all get over yerselves!!!

Well if you stop coming on here and whinging that you have lost so much and stop threatening the taxpayers with strikes we will listen to what you have to say etc.

What were we doing back during the boom years? We were doing what you were probably doing which is surviving maybe buying a home like I did in 2007 which has devalued now by 75k.

My take home pay has fallen by 30% in two years so please we are all taking the pain. I've had to cut back on an awful lot. My savings have been eaten into because I got married this year and I have my first child on the way mid next year. I will have enough to survive on and I suspect the majority in the PS will have as well (except those who got caught up in the property as investment craze that some bought into!).

I do sympathise with anyone taking a pay cut as I know what its like. I particularly sympathise with the people on temporary contracts on the extremely low wages. They shouldn't have been subject to this cut, the money should have been gained by lowering the tax threshold to get something from those out of the tax net at the moment.

My gripe is with the government as yours should be as well. They had the opportunity to sort this all out when the times were good. They choose to appease the unions who seem to protect the lazy and penalise those who want to make a difference to the PS. Thats where the PS workers anger should be directed.

As for the banks yes there shouldn't have been any pay rises but how do you police that. The Minister hasn't even enforced the pay cap on the CE of AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Will ye all give it up and leave us PS workers alone. Where were ye all a few years ago when the Private sector - especially those in the building sector were getting huge bonus for sales on overpriced boxes. !!!

Yeah the private sector and their bonuses? Like my wife who after nearly 10 yrs experience was managing a branch of the business she was in for - for €31k. That was before she was let go - now she's working the odd day here and there for another company for €9.50/hr (equivalent to 19k/yr full time). And I don't need a crystal ball to tell you exactly how much her Christmas "bonus" will be!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

i hope to god that these talk of strikes blow over.

i don't know of many pub sect workers who could afford it, (just like any private sector worker couldn't afford it either).

what we need is a new government (or a coup;)).

we need reform of public sector, semi state, councils, etc.
    and to carry out reform we need a leadership that has some balls, fairness and vision.

there is more than one way to save the country, but this budget was unfair in it targeting of the pub service pay as THE ONLY answer. (sorry, they also targetted all the unemployed, but, this was done in an unfair way too).

the unions aren't the answer, because this problem affect the entire popullation, not just union members.

All of the above is in my opinion only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

one of the most sickening aspects of the budget was leaving rent allowance untouched.

speaking as a private sector working who will in all probability lose my job next March i simply think it was wrong to cut by 5% those PS workers on <~ 30,000K - i just think it should not have happened.

as it stands the Govt currently transfers 500 million euro of taxpayers money to private landlords through rent supplement each year. this is really inexcusable - it distorts the rental market, prevents rent reaching their natural levels and ignores the fact that so many properties are empty now - so why pay bubble rent supplements? it should have been cut by 20% to reflect the fall in rents and perhaps this saving could have negated the need to cut those on lower pay in the PS.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

Most PS workers are hard working, conscientious people who actually do care about the work that they do and the people they are looking after whether it be patients, pupils or welfare recipients.

The hardline, hardcore uncompromising Union Leaders may represent the Public Sector Workers but they are not representative of the typical public sector worker.

Most PS workers are ordinary decent people who realise the state that the country is in. They are not going to participate in a prolonged strike which is going to hurt everyone, particularly themselves but also the weakest members of society such as children, the sick, the elderly and the unemployed.

This recession is hard on everyone. Most people are suffering from pay cuts, reduced hours, unemployment, bankruptcy or homelessness. Going on strike because my leg is broker than your leg or vice versa just does not make sense and most PS workers are not stupid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement