Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski boots in Dublin or Belfast

• 11-12-2009 10:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking to pick up a pair of ski boots and was wondering if anyone new where I could get a good deal.

Purchasing on the internet isn't an option as I have had problems with boots before and want to make sure they fit correctly before going.

I am in Dublin but should be in Belfast next week so anywhere in between would do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

IMO you're better off getting them there. But there are a few people over in the winter sports forum who could help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Wouldnt bother geting them here, youll get a much better deal/service when you get there. I never buy mine here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

+1. Get them there. Then you can try them out and return them if they don't fit properly. You also won't have to carry them on the way over. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭dubrov

I've had real problems before with boots before so don't mind paying the extra to get them here. The plan is to wear them around for a couple of weeks beforehand to make sure that I am used to them.

From my experience, guys fitting boots in resorts tend to just want to get you out the ooor asap.

I also was thinking of getting heat moulded boots to ensure a best fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭dubrov

In the end I went to climateski in Belfast.

The guys seem to be very good in there and took their time. I'd say it was a full hour before I left the shop.

It turns out that I have high arches in my feet and the top of my feet were pushing against the top of the boot, especially at the right angle of the boot.
    This was leading to cramp in the calf (even before I hit the first slope).

I ended up buying a Tecnica Phoenix 90 Ultrafit (heat molded) which has a lot more vertical space than normal. I've worn them for a few hours and no problems so far but I guess actually skiing might be different. If it works out, it's strange that not one of about 6 boot fitters in resorts I've been to picked up on that.

If anyone is interested on prices the original quote was £245 for the boots and £40 for footbeds. In the end I paid £280 and got two extra pairs of decent ski socks for free that were priced at £10 in the shop.

I had a quick look online and although the model is rare enough the prices look pretty decent.

I guess buying in the reort has the advantage of being able to change the boots if you find you have problems skiing with them. I'm not sure that it would be much cheaper though. I'm not sure about boots but ski clothes tend to be ridiculously expensive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement