Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Sector got Pay Increases this year ? Pay Increments ?

Options
  • 11-12-2009 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭

did public sector workers get pay increases by moving up the pay scale this year ?

will they move up the scale next year and get pay increments ?

edit to answer my own question.

yes they got increases this year

confirmed below that they are getting pay increases

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭maxximus

mind your own business :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

maxximus wrote: »

it is his business! its everyones business :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

As far as I know theres a pay freeze, whats the point of another ps bashing thread they've taken 2 hits this year, get over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Google is your friend: Public Sector Increments 2009
    4th result:http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2009/02/08/story39397.asp

Let the outrage begin...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

As far as I know theres a pay freeze, whats the point of another ps bashing thread they've taken 2 hits this year, get over it
    and their employer will still be short €21.939bn in their 2010 budget.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

Diarmuid wrote: »
    and their employer will still be short €21.939bn in their 2010 budget.
    After taking opportunity to pay them as little as possible (reliefs, tax credits, medical cards, etc, etc...).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Dr_Phil wrote: »
    After taking opportunity to pay them as little as possible (reliefs, tax credits, medical cards, etc, etc...).
    I don't follow? As "little as possible" would be reducing wages until enough people leave that you end up at the level of service you want. In the current job climate that would be 30% if not more. Not saying that would be fair though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

lol
    you embarrassed ? you should be.

as far as i know they got a pay increase this year via the ridiculous pay increments just because they are in the job an extra year.

and as far as i know they will get another pay increase next year again.

the point is that they are still on very very good wages.
    teachers and gardai will still be on an average of over 50k :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

green123 wrote: »
    lol
    gardai will still be on an average of over 50k :eek:

I've had a quick look, and these are the rates of pay. Even at 17 years service none reaches 50k. Now, I expect you are including overtime etc in your "average" figure, but could you support it please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

The low paid (under 30k) in the civil service have an increment of around a grand a year, if they get that then with the 5% cut they're actually being cut 0-1.6% by my maths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

amacachi wrote: »
    The low paid (under 30k) in the civil service have an increment of around a grand a year, if they get that then with the 5% cut they're actually being cut 0-1.6% by my maths.

a lot of public service jobs are on incremental scales, this has generally always been the case.

there are only so many points on this scale, however....so not every one gets them every year..there is a limit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

An increment is circa 1.5 - 2%. Not "around a grand"

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Wood

Yeah i'm on amazing wages, under 400 per week, fantastic.

€200 Dole, €150 Rent allowance, Medical card, No travel costs, clothing allowances, utility and appliance allowances?

In actual money I'm €46 better off right now, i'll be around €25-30 better off when the budget comes in. If we take travel and medical card into account, i'd be better off on the dole.

So why should i have to work for less money than the majority of people on social welfare? Well before the budget, after the budget this will change.

lol
    you embarrassed ? you should be.

as far as i know they got a pay increase this year via the ridiculous pay increments just because they are in the job an extra year.

and as far as i know they will get another pay increase next year again.

the point is that they are still on very very good wages.
    teachers and gardai will still be on an average of over 50k :eek:

Definitely not embarassed , the bitterness will eat you up in the end , I couldnt give a flying one what you do or say or what you earn for that matter.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Now, I expect you are including overtime etc in your "average" figure, but could you support it please?
    from the thread on top of this forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055750520

of course i am including overtime and allowances because that is how much they really get paid.
    1200 per week on average or 62k per year.
    cut it by 16% or even 20% and they are still on about 50k
    exactly , so no cut at all really.

and a pay increase to look forward to next year :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'm pretty vague on this, so i could be completely wrong. But do do increments not work differently between civil service and public sector? Do increments not stop when your at the end of your scale, and you only get long service increments after so many years, 5 or 7? Do they not also depend on what grade you are, as some grades don't get them, and some do. Increments are based on good performance, though I doubt they get stopped for poor performance. Unions etc.

Wood wrote: »
    Yeah i'm on amazing wages, under 400 per week, fantastic.

when referring to your salary please quote your yearly gross.

i had 2 gardai in after hours trying to tell me that they only earned 300 per week - less than minimium wage.

so you can see how pointless it is to quote your take home pay after taxes or loans or other personal expenses

what is your yearly gross ?

when referring to your salary please quote your yearly gross.

i had 2 gardai in after hours trying to tell me that they only earned 300 per week - less than minimium wage.

so you can see how pointless it is to quote your take home pay after taxes or loans or other personal expenses

what is your yearly gross ?

mind your own business

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

exactly , so no cut at all really.
    and a pay increase to look forward to next year :eek:

Not all state employees will receive an increment because they are on the top of their scale. Not all scales reach the fantastic heights of 50k. There is an embargo on promotions in most if not all departments.

Do you not think that the government have included increments in their estimates.

According to those we elected to govern and lead us, our economy will improve next year, there will be no need for another equivalent budget even though Joan Bruton claims that the estimates for next year include an extra 75000 new entrants onto the dole. So trust in our elected representatives that most of the anti public service ranters have praised for introducing cutbacks that had to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Wood wrote: »

So why should i have to work for less money than the majority of people on social welfare? Well before the budget, after the budget this will change.

Because according to some trade union dick on RTE yesterday (can't remember which one it was), by reducing the dole, we'd be infringing on a person's right to refuse a job "insert race to the bottom rhetoric here".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Annual increments are being paid, my Wife got hers in October.

I feel the gov. are being selective with their wording of statements, they appear to have stop promoting people onto new pay scales, but if you are not at the top of your current pay scale you will keep getting increments until you reach it.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Alcatel

As did mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

This flabbergasts me :confused:

Fair dues for being honest about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Not all CS get increments every year. For instance the last time I got an increment was Feb 08. I MIGHT be entitled to another one in Feb 11 but who knows what way the economy will be by then so I wouldnt hold my breath on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I am unaware of the workings of the entire PS, i only know what happens in my wifes place of work.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

mind your own business

So you did get a pay increase and you are on a fairly decent wages by those comments, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

BostonB wrote: »
    I'm pretty vague on this, so i could be completely wrong. But do do increments not work differently between civil service and public sector?

Large numbers of civil service and public service jobs have incremental scales; they are less common in the wider realm of the rest of the public sector.
    Do increments not stop when your at the end of your scale, and you only get long service increments after so many years, 5 or 7?

That's about right, but not all scales have long service increments.
    Do they not also depend on what grade you are, as some grades don't get them, and some do. Increments are based on good performance, though I doubt they get stopped for poor performance. Unions etc.

Increments can be refused for unsatisfactory performance. It happens, but is far from common.

segaBOY wrote: »
    So you did get a pay increase and you are on a fairly decent wages by those comments, thanks.

will get mine in jan , hahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

IMO will be paid in increments this year and the next and on and on... This the way its always been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭nurse23

got my increment in july, my first. everyone else did too and ill get another one next year. there has been no freeze on increments.

Advertisement