Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Sector got Pay Increases this year ? Pay Increments ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭frman

nurse23 wrote: »
    got my increment in july, my first. everyone else did too and ill get another one next year. there has been no freeze on increments.

So what is everyone complaining about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭nurse23

frman wrote: »
    So what is everyone complaining about ?

no idea. worked out yesterday what the pay cuts will mean for me. ill be down id say 25-30a week. no kids no mortgage and im young so to be honest i can well afford it. thought it'd be way worse. much prefer this to 12 days unpaid. that said do feel sorry for those with more overheads than me. 30euro may be nothin for me but im sure it'll cause a lot of bother for others. that said the cuts have been made its time to knuckle down and get to work reforming our services and do a good job. plus im not part of a union so really could not give a toss about them, personally dont think their helping the situation at all. hope there are no more strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

ssaye wrote: »
    IMO will be paid in increments this year and the next and on and on... This the way its always been.

No, you're wrong.

Some scales have 5 increments so after 5 years, no more increments. Some scales have 13 increments etc

There are no more promotions, so once someone reaches the top of a scale they cannot advance to a higher scale, assuming they had a higer scale to apply for, above their entry level.

There will be no more recruitment, so so new entrants to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Wood

green123 wrote: »
    when referring to your salary please quote your yearly gross.

i had 2 gardai in after hours trying to tell me that they only earned 300 per week - less than minimium wage.

so you can see how pointless it is to quote your take home pay after taxes or loans or other personal expenses

what is your yearly gross ?

€28495,

€547.98 per week

Income Levy 11.07
    Paye 32.65
    Prsi - Ee 36.26
    Estd.Full Pens (Survi 8.65
    Estd.Full Pens (Perso 8.65
    Estd.Full Pens (Lump 4.06
    Pension Related Deduc 15.60

Total Deductions 116.94

Take home: 431.04

Loss with budget cuts: ca. €30 per week.

So apologies, i'll be on slightly more than 400 per week, about €401.

All deductions come straight from my payslip as written.

Happy now?

We're not all high rollers here, i'm not in the union as i think they've always done more hard than good with their bully boy tactics, and i need that extra 400 quid a year more than they need it.

I think the budget wasn't as bad as it could've been, but when everybody looks at the average figures it doesn't show it for what it is.

For example:
    I've been here in my department for 6 years, same section, never had any problems and i do my job well, but, I have 6 managers.

Why do 2 clerical officers need 6 managers? I'm happy enough to keep my job and take a cut, but there's a lot of people directly above me on the ladder whose primary function seems to be to tell me what to do six times.

We could drop 3 of these guys and not lose any productivity. The mind boggles, too many chiefs springs to mind.

Sorry about the rambling, I'm not anti-private sector in any way, worked there for years myself, and i currently have an unemployed father and a broke mother because of it. The government overspent, civil servants being employees of the government had to take a cut, simple as. If this was the private sector we'd be lucky to have jobs, never mind a 5% cut.

Next week on Jeremy Kyle.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

maxximus wrote: »
    will get mine in jan , hahaha

Go you.

Aren't you on other threads telling people how badly off ye all are?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

from the thread on top of this forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055750520

of course i am including overtime and allowances because that is how much they really get paid.
    1200 per week on average or 62k per year.
    cut it by 16% or even 20% and they are still on about 50k

exactly , so no cut at all really.

and a pay increase to look forward to next year :eek:

How many hours does your sample Garda have to work for 50k - suppose he has five years service?

maxximus wrote: »
    mind your own business

the Public Sectors employer is short on money. Now they will borrow this money. This means that not only does everybody have to pay more taxes now they will have to pay even higher taxes in the future because the borrowings accrue interest.

So you see, it is everyones business.

nipplenuts wrote: »
    How many hours does your sample Garda have to work for 50k - suppose he has five years service?

Gardai put in a full 40 hour week as opposed to some office jobs in the public sector

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

It would seem that at this time that next year there will be a further pay cut on civil servants and rightly so.

Public Sector wages should match or become lower than those of the Privite Sector, why? because the added value of working for the Public Sector should reduce wages in contrast to the Private Sector.

As far as pay increments go, this is expected in all professions regardless of Public or Private.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ginger Nut

It would seem that at this time that next year there will be a further pay cut on civil servants and rightly so.

Public Sector wages should match or become lower than those of the Privite Sector, why? because the added value of working for the Public Sector should reduce wages in contrast to the Private Sector.

As far as pay increments go, this is expected in all professions regardless of Public or Private.

Will ye all give it up about the public service. Do ye not realise that the powers that be are delira to have the public V the private sector at loggerheads. But what about the greed in the private sector. FOR EXAMPLE The property developers who creamed it with overpriced boxes they built all over the country - which are now selling at €100K less than 2 years ageo - Iknow I just bought one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

Ginger Nut wrote: »
    Will ye all give it up about the public service. Do ye not realise that the powers that be are delira to have the public V the private sector at loggerheads. But what about the greed in the private sector. FOR EXAMPLE The property developers who creamed it with overpriced boxes they built all over the country - which are now selling at €100K less than 2 years ageo - Iknow I just bought one

It's called capitalism, if people pay the price then builders kept on building.

However, these builders created their own wealth(appart from a few criminals who where corrupt). If you want to talk about greed, then let's talk about an overpaid civil service, who's some of its members will vote to strike rather than take a clearly needed pay cut..... This is not creating your own wealth, it is merely taking it!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Lawros Tache

However, these builders created their own wealth(appart from a few criminals who where corrupt). If you want to talk about greed, then let's talk about an overpaid civil service, who's some of its members will vote to strike rather than take a clearly needed pay cut..... This is not creating your own wealth, it is merely taking it!

you're hardly THAT naive? Seriously....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 bmmck

did public sector workers get pay increases by moving up the pay scale this year ?

will they move up the scale next year and get pay increments ?

edit to answer my own question.

yes they got increases this year

confirmed below that they are getting pay increases

Yes the top boys did, like the APs, POs, Ministers etc but the poor little man on 25 or 30 grand didnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

Diarmuid wrote: »
    I don't follow? As "little as possible" would be reducing wages until enough people leave that you end up at the level of service you want. In the current job climate that would be 30% if not more. Not saying that would be fair though.
    Sure you don't.

I got the impression that you just pronounced yourself (as well as others) PS "employer" who actually pays PS staff and therefore is fully entitled to moan about the deficit. Well, my idea is - if you wanna fix it - start from yourself:

Make people - and so do you - to pay taxes, pay MORE taxes (sort of a pay-cut), do not claim child benefit, don't use interest reliefs, don't use medical cards, FIS, etc. Until everyone understands the way they drain the budget and screw the country - I would just shut up.

What have YOU done to minimise deficit? It's just great to pay as little as possible and claim as much as possible, trying to take from the others at the same time, isn't it?

It's just awesome to find a scapegoat, PS, bankers, hell yeah!! Crowd with torches and we are back in dark ages. Certainly only bankers and PS are the ones to blame.

The more I read ridiculous statements about PS and bankers the more sick I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

I got my increment there yesterday, my net salary has now gone up a WHOPPING €22.75

At the moment, I am now, with my second increment under my belt, earning 4% less than I was when I first started in the public sector. With another ~6% decrease to come! Yayyy!

Yes, I am feeling sorry for myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭erictheviking

the Public Sectors employer is short on money. Now they will borrow this money. This means that not only does everybody have to pay more taxes now they will have to pay even higher taxes in the future because the borrowings accrue interest.

So you see, it is everyones business.

The way some people go on you would think the PS sit at home doing feck all and getting money for free. They WORK and get paid for it like everyone else.
    Who cares if they get an increment, it definitely won't make up for what they lost.
    Anyway, they need the extra money for the cosmetic surgery to get rid of their pointy horns and tails:rolleyes:

Let it Go!
    If you all directed as much anger at the politicians, bankers and developers we would have no problems!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

the independant has this story today
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/budget/news/now-public-sector-staff-to-share-8364230m-rise-1973792.html

MOST of the country's 340,000 public sector workers will get a pay rise next year -- wiping out a quarter of the wage cuts imposed in the Budget.

Public servants will be paid increases next year worth an extra €230m to their pay packets, which will counter the €1bn Budget cuts.

The pay system in the public sector allows most workers to go up the ladder each year, meaning their gross salaries increase on an annual basis.

so €250m last year and €230 next year - nearly half a billion.
    the cuts were only 1 billion so with these pay rises last year and more pay rises to look forward to next year the public sector are really not talking very much of a cut at all.

so stop all the moaning and all the talk about strikes

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The pay system in the public sector allows most workers to go up the ladder each year, meaning their gross salaries increase on an annual basis
    1. The incremental scale is part of the employment contract (but not the actual amounts). Unless the Government renegotiated every contract, they could not abolish incremental increases but could only reduce the amounts.

2. Many public servants are not on any incremental scale.

3. Many public servants would already be at the top of their scale and would not be entitled to any further increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

jon1981 wrote: »
    it is his business! its everyones business :mad:
    why not have a look at this thread I started Mr Angry Face. It might actually get you somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

1. The incremental scale is part of the employment contract (but not the actual amounts). Unless the Government renegotiated every contract, they could not abolish incremental increases but could only reduce the amounts.

2. Many public servants are not on an incremental scale.

3. Many public servants would already be at the top of their scale and would not be entitled to any further increases.

1. Fine, but they should stop all the moaning about pay cuts when at the same time they are getting pay rises. In many cases they are almost cancelling each other out to a large extent.

2. Many public servants are on an incremental scale.

3. Many public servants are not at the top of their scale and would be entitled to further increases.

4. Many public servants got pay increases this year and can look forward to further pay increases next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Dr_Phil wrote: »
    Sure you don't.

I got the impression that you just pronounced yourself (as well as others) PS "employer" who actually pays PS staff and therefore is fully entitled to moan about the deficit. Well, my idea is - if you wanna fix it - start from yourself:

Make people - and so do you - to pay taxes, pay MORE taxes (sort of a pay-cut), do not claim child benefit, don't use interest reliefs, don't use medical cards, FIS, etc. Until everyone understands the way they drain the budget and screw the country - I would just shut up.

What have YOU done to minimise deficit? It's just great to pay as little as possible and claim as much as possible, trying to take from the others at the same time, isn't it?

It's just awesome to find a scapegoat, PS, bankers, hell yeah!! Crowd with torches and we are back in dark ages. Certainly only bankers and PS are the ones to blame.

The more I read ridiculous statements about PS and bankers the more sick I am.
    WTF are you ranting about? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

...MOST of the country's 340,000 public sector workers will get a pay rise next year -- wiping out a quarter of the wage cuts imposed in the Budget.

Public servants will be paid increases next year worth an extra €230m to their pay packets, which will counter the €1bn Budget cuts....

I'm not saying this is incorrect, I have no idea. I'm just curious where the "many" and "most" and the figures involved are being pulled from? Is there some report somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

BostonB wrote: »
    I'm not saying this is incorrect, I have no idea. I'm just curious where the "many" and "most" and the figures involved are being pulled from? Is there some report somewhere?

exactly what i was gonna point out....however, remember, this is the Indo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭suimhneas

absolute rubbish! work in PS did not get pay increase, wont be getting one next year, more indo bull shi* . dont get a paid day to go christmas shopping, dont have a job for life contract from year to year sick of all this rubbish been taken as gospel. Wise up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

the independant has this story today
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/budget/news/now-public-sector-staff-to-share-8364230m-rise-1973792.html

MOST of the country's 340,000 public sector workers will get a pay rise next year -- wiping out a quarter of the wage cuts imposed in the Budget.

Public servants will be paid increases next year worth an extra €230m to their pay packets, which will counter the €1bn Budget cuts.

The pay system in the public sector allows most workers to go up the ladder each year, meaning their gross salaries increase on an annual basis.

so €250m last year and €230 next year - nearly half a billion.
    the cuts were only 1 billion so with these pay rises last year and more pay rises to look forward to next year the public sector are really not talking very much of a cut at all.

so stop all the moaning and all the talk about strikes

i just read that too,what sort of f#cking country do we live in at all?,hitting the vunerable preaching about tough measures most be made then this s#ite comes out,we all in the wrong jobs..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

builders did not create their own wealth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

InReality wrote: »
    builders did not create their own wealth.

They sat at home watching TV and money just kept falling into their laps?

They provided a product that the general public lapped up. No one forced anyone to own a house, it was individual decisions.

A product is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. If someone pays 400,000euro for a house, that's was what it was worth. If no one wants to pay 400,000euro for that house now, it's not worth that now. It's very simple market economics.

Builders provided a product, if the public didn't think the product was worth the money being asked, they shouldn't have paid the money.

The Irish people made the builders rich. Don't blame a service provider for providing a service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Theres no difference between that and someone negotiating the best wage they can. You do that regardless of sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mcloughj

...and I'm only going to talk about my own experience, I'm not offering any opinion on anything else, so I would appreciate it if anyone here replies only to what I'm writing about here.

I work in the public service, the university sector. I work in a group 7 core people- an number which has actually gone down by one over the period of the boom years.

Over the last few years (since 2001) we have taken on more and more undergrad students, many more postgrad researchers, new courses, new modules.

We have, as a group, all worked to broaden our experience and work as efficiently as possible. We work with new technologies and are willing to take on new work practices so that we get our jobs done and we do our service to the people that rely on us.

There is, however, no room for promotion as there is one Chief and the rest of us are all at the same level. There is no chance to be promoted until the chief retires or leaves.

Without increments I would still be on the same wage as i was 10 years ago bar the 2.7 percent that benchmarking afforded me in the first round in 2002.

If there were no increments there would have been no increase in my productivity over the last ten years. I would have probably left the job after a while.

Anyone that would have stayed in the job wouldn't do a thing differently because there would be no incentive. No flexibility- no new courses- no extra students. Low wages would lead to a constant turnover of new staff- no long term experience.

So that's my two cents. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I'm a public servent and I find it amazing that the increment system hasnt been frozen. Its inexcusable that they havent frozen it at this stage. Granted, I will be earning less than I was but I really cant believe they have done pension levy, income levy, pay cut but yet havent touched this automatic increment system.

Advertisement