Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transformer for studio light?

• 11-12-2009 10:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hey
    As part of a photo cube kit I'm selling, there's a 500w light that comes with it. the light when turned on starts smoking. An electrician friend of mine said this is probably because the voltage is too high and either the transformer is broken or there is no transformer at all. I have someone interested in buying the kit except they understandably want the light sorted before buying. I know nothing about electricity etc so I was hoping to get some advice here on how to fix this.

Any help would be brilliant.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I'd be more inclined to use a power surge socket with any equipment like this. I forgot once and my fuses blew twice. Try it first and if you still have problems then look into a transformer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Good Christ :eek:
    Get a qualified engineer to fix it, or recycle it. Do not try to 'have a go' yourself - faulty electrics can kill by electrocution or burst into flames and burn a family alive.

Even if you fix the cause of the problem, it might already have damaged components which have stopped smoking for now but may fail catastrophically at a later date. Smoke from electrics should really be taken as game over.

I assume the warranty is out, it might be covered by your home contents insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Cianos wrote: »
    Hey
    As part of a photo cube kit I'm selling, there's a 500w light that comes with it. the light when turned on starts smoking.

:eek:

People to buy photo gear from: Cianos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭WedPhoto

And would the damaged electrics be the reason for selling the kit?

Get some qualified person to fix it and be honest with the buyer - do thell about this problem.

Hope you are not one of those people who sell damaged equipment just to ged rid of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

OP;

There is no separate transformer advertised with this kit. The power output should be managed by the lamp itself.
    If it's smoking, my initial thoughts are that the bulb has been left on too long and may have created too much heat and has possibly damaged the internal circuit board or a fitting in the lamp.

Have you owned this equipment since new?

Have you used it & how often?

Where does the smoke come from, the bulb or the lamp housing itself?

Did you check to see if everything was unpacked correctly, that no plastic packaging was left around or near to the main source of heat?

Have you contacted the company to ask them if they have heard of this issue before?

Flexion Solutions Limited
    Gracemead House
    Back Lane
    Chalfont St Giles
    Buckinghamshire
    HP8 4PB
    Tel: +44 (0)1494 583005
    Email: info@flexionsolutions.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

:eek:

People to buy photo gear from: Cianos
    WedPhoto wrote: »
    And would the damaged electrics be the reason for selling the kit?

Get some qualified person to fix it and be honest with the buyer - do thell about this problem.

Hope you are not one of those people who sell damaged equipment just to ged rid of it.

If you read the ad it describes quite clearly that there is an issue with the bulb.
    DK32 wrote: »
    OP;

There is no separate transformer advertised with this kit. The power output should be managed by the lamp itself.
    If it's smoking, my initial thoughts are that the bulb has been left on too long and may have created too much heat and has possibly damaged the internal circuit board or a fitting in the lamp.

Have you owned this equipment since new?

Have you used it & how often?

Where does the smoke come from, the bulb or the lamp housing itself?

Did you check to see if everything was unpacked correctly, that no plastic packaging was left around or near to the main source of heat?

Have you contacted the company to ask them if they have heard of this issue before?

Flexion Solutions Limited
    Gracemead House
    Back Lane
    Chalfont St Giles
    Buckinghamshire
    HP8 4PB
    Tel: +44 (0)1494 583005
    Email: info@flexionsolutions.co.uk

Thanks very much for the post. I'm going to get in contact with the company to ask them about it.

The smoke comes not from the bulb but from the wiring. There seems to be an extra piece of wiring that leads to a little knob that looks like it should turn but doesn't.

I have hardly used the light at all. I have owned this since new although it may have been a display model, I'm not 100% sure about that. Either way I tested it when I got it and it worked fine, then it was unused for a few years and I tested it again only a few weeks ago, and that was when it first started smoking.

I brought it to an electrical goods store and the shop keeper opened it up to have a look at it but couldn't figure out what the problem was. I'll get in touch with the manufacturers and hopefully they'll be able to advise me.

Cheers

Advertisement