Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music in Portlaoise

Options
  • 11-12-2009 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

Apart from Sky Venue for the paid acts what pubs provide live music on a weekly basis in Portlaoise and what type i.e covers, originals, younger bands etc. Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Hmm..just what I thought...Feck all music in Portlaoise. Disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 kildareman007

:eek:;)the only thing goin on im Plaoise is fighting........girls v girls.... chaps v chaps....... chaps v girls and so on...... Plaoise is a hole of a place. Only scumbags exist there.... I kno... Ive lived there and had to get out while I could. It looks like an inbred place.... they all look the same and smell funny..... dont go there or you will be converted and God help you then. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Cause Kildare is so much better. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

:eek:;)the only thing goin on im Plaoise is fighting........girls v girls.... chaps v chaps....... chaps v girls and so on...... Plaoise is a hole of a place. Only scumbags exist there.... I kno... Ive lived there and had to get out while I could. It looks like an inbred place.... they all look the same and smell funny..... dont go there or you will be converted and God help you then. :pac:

Thanks for showing me the light oh worldly, kildare man. Your logic is faultless as is your smug kildare hole! Why, oh why did i ever leave dublin?! I must go this minute, sell my fantastic good value house in this busy, well facilitated town and look for a new, overpriced one in the swarming metropolis, thats so clearly full of beautiful, intelligient people, known as kildare town. Oh wait, isnt it kildare thats the depressing ar$ehole of dublin I have to drive through every day on my way home? And isnt it kildare thats full of inbred tinkers and f-all else??? Why I believe it is! Scratch that idea so, I believe I'll stay where I am you scrote!

OP i cant think of any places off the top of my head bar delaney's pub but if u walk up main st nearly all the pubs have boards outside advertising what bands theyve got on. Sorry i cant b more help.
    Actually, kavanaghs pub hav a venue upstairs with various shows on, they have an email newsletter they send around about whats on. Try googling them or even call into PJ there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

Good lot of pubs have the usual one man and his guitar type thing at the weekend, Welcome Inn is usually decent, have heard a couple of decent singers in Ramsbottoms as well. Gormans get decent bands from time to time as well. They've a band this Saturday, Garter Lane, who played at my wedding. They were excellent that night anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Sallys, lethean, delaneys, the square bar and cloisters all have bands on a regular basis.
    Keep an eye out for posters to see who and when is playing or friend those pubs on facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Had a walk around the town the other night and theres plenty on offer but Im wondering is that just the usual christmas burst of entertainment that quickly drys up in the new year. Sallys have a good lineup in fairness.

Thanks for the other tip offs.

And please leave the Kildare/Laois rubbish to the GAA forums. Portlaoise is grand, no worse than any other large town and the people are very friendly.

It wasn't hard for me to say that and I'm a true blooded Kildareman living in Laois for a long time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Youc ould be right that there is an element of Christmas involved with it. Especially with people being off work for the holidays but generally speaking a good few of the pubs have music on at least once a week/fortnight during the year. Or so I believe. Alwyas seem to miss the music meself!

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Honest can
    Band x
    Voodoo
    One track mind
    All local bands which are well worth going to see. Especially honest can in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Peter Walczak

I like "Nova Static" but haven't seen them for a while...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 KavanaghsPub

Hi Guys,

I think a lot of the pubs in town are a little too small to get in the bands on a regular basis. If your paying out xxx for a band the bar's gotta take in approx 3-4 times the cost of the band just to pay their fee.
    From my side of things, because my pub isn't the biggest in the world and can only accomodate about 100 either upstairs or downstairs we tend to go for the bigger acts and have a cover charge. It's taken a good few years to build up but we manage to get a lot of the guys you'd see playing in Vicar St / Olympia.

We also provide trad sessions (thanks Johnny!) in the bar downstairs on a regular basis, I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but sure different strokes for different folks!

Here's a quick line up of what we have coming up over the next few weeks, (If anyone wants me to remove below, just pm me, thanks)

Happy Christmas,
    PJ

Saturday 26th, St Stephens Day
    Kavanaghs opens at 12.30pm-1am,
    Full day of live sport from opening and craic agus céol form 6pm
    The Human Juke Box returns upstairs from 8.30pm

Monday 28th Dec
    James O'Connor
    Upstairs from 9pm
    Tickets €8 from Kavanaghs and Ticketmaster

Tuesday 29th Dec
    BERESQUE
    25 year reunion gig
    Tickets €10 from Kavanaghs and ticketmaster

Wednesday 30th Dec
    Kavanaghs Comedy Club
    Dublin Comedy Improv
    Featuring Joe Rooney (Fr. Ted, Killinaskully) Kevin Gildea (Fr Ted), Dermot Carmody & Paul Tylak)
    Tickets €15 from Kavanaghs & Ticketmaster

Thursday 31st Dec
    New Years Eve Party

Thursday 7th Jan 2010
    DECLAN O'ROURKE
    Limited number of tickets remaining, €20 form Kavanaghs and Ticketmaster

Friday 15th Jan 2010
    Kavanaghs Comedy Club present
    MAEVE HIGGINS
    plus Bernard O'Shea
    Limited number of tickets remaining, €15 from Kavanaghs and Ticketmaster

Friday 29th Jan 2010
    Kavanaghs Comedy Club present
    DAVID O'DOHERTY
    Limited number of tickets remaining, €15 from Kavanaghs and Ticketmaster

Friday 5th Feb
    Aiken Promotions Present
    ARDAL O'HANLON
    Live in the Dunamaise Arts Centre
    Tickets €25 from the Dunamaise Theatre

Friday 12th Feb
    Kavanaghs Comedy Club moves to the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel and presents
    NEIL DELAMERE
    Tickets €26.65 from ticketmaster
    (Just about sold out!!)

Sunday 14th Feb
    St. Valentines Day
    And for the boys... Portlaoise in the All-Ireland Club Semi-Final ;-)

Friday 19th Feb
    Due to phenomenal demand, extra night just added!
    NEIL DELAMERE in the Portlaoise Heritage Hotel
    Tickets €26.65 from ticketmaster

Saturday 20th Feb
    Na Daoirse
    Irelands ultimate tribute to the Doors!
    Tickets €12

Friday 5th March
    Kavanaghs Comedy Club
    More details to follow...

Friday 6th March
    Guns & Roses tribute Band
    Use Your Illusions
    As seen in RTE's Karl Spain Wants to Rock!
    Tickets €10, on sale soon from Kavanaghs & ticketmaster

Advertisement