Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Evangelical Alliance Backs Civil Partnership Bill

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Wicknight wrote: »
    Again that isn't really what I asked

Lets go over what you asked, and see why you you don't think I've answered.

Do I think Jesus would WANT this?

I don't think Jesus would be concerned about it, (Which is what I already said) It'd be a bit like someone who knows a comet is going to hit the earth, and someone asking, 'Will it be blue or green?' Its insignificant.

Like if he was asked A or B?

I personally don't think he'd be forced into such an A or B scenario, but 'Let the dead bury their dead' would 'probably' be the 'style' of answer if pressed. Again, its only my reasonings, and I don't presume to know. I just think his attitude would be to let these people get on with what they are doing, and concern yourself with what is truly important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

JimiTime wrote: »
    Lets go over what you asked, and see why you you don't think I've answered.

Do I think Jesus would WANT this?

I don't think Jesus would be concerned about it, (Which is what I already said) It'd be a bit like someone who knows a comet is going to hit the earth, and someone asking, 'Will it be blue or green?' Its insignificant.

Whether Jesus is concerned about it isn't the same as whether he would want it though is it?.

Jesus may not have been say concerned that for 300 years slavery existed in the Americas because 300 years is a drop in the ocean compared to salvation and eternity and Jesus' concern was salvation and what is truly important (the salvation of mankind I assume you mean) as you put it.

But that doesn't mean he wouldn't have an opinion on the matter if asked, nor that he wouldn't want abolition, does it?

I think if you asked Jesus does he want slave owners to beat slaves most Christians would believe he would say no (without getting into the whole does Christianity support or oppose slavery debate), rather than saying that this isn't important and he has no opinion on the matter.

I'm not following what the difference here is. Why would Jesus not express an opinion on this matter simply because it falls into the category as not specifically what he was all about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Wicknight wrote: »
    Whether Jesus is concerned about it isn't the same as whether he would want it though is it?.

It is. I'm sure you can think of scenario's whereby one neither wants or doesn't want something. It is insignificant. Let the wolves govern the wolves, and the shepherd govern the sheep IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

It is. I'm sure you can think of scenario's whereby one neither wants or doesn't want something. It is insignificant. Let the wolves govern the wolves, and the shepherd govern the sheep IMO.

:confused:

You don't think Jesus, or Christians, should concern themselves about what happens to the "wolves"?

What are your feelings about the abolitionist movement, or say charity workers in non-Christian countries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Nope, not at all. The Christian thing to do is reason things through using Christian values and Christs advices. The DEED is the outcome. So calling what you THINK is the right thing to do, THE christian thing to do, is getting ahead of yourself.

Sorry, I'm, at a loss then as to how to explain this point any clearer to you if you don't see how I, speaking as a Christian (who thinks God is the source of all good and that Christianity is right and that even "secular" acts can be the Christian thing to do) do not mean exactly the same thing when I say "I think this is the Christian thing to do" as when I say "I think this is the right thing to do".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Should we not pursue justice and freedom for all people, even if those people choose to live freely as non-Christians in ways that we disagree with?

Advertisement