Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Herring in Temple Bar (formally Di Fontains Pizza/ Eamon Dorans)

Options
  • 11-12-2009 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

Has anybody tried the take away from this place? I had it yesterday and it was really good. The section that used to be Di Fontains Pizza is now a take away specializing in fish and chips (no burgers). You can eat in too, they have about 4/5 large barrels in there with stools beside them (they bring the food out to you on a plate), and a few counters to eat too.

It was just really tasty, I would recommend it, the chips are not your usuall chipper chips, they are really fat, crunchy on the outside, and soft on the inside. The cod was very tasty too, it says it is caught fresh every day. I just really liked the place, anybody been there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Was in the bar there yesterday (it will always be Dorans to me :)) and got food. Don't know if it's the same menu as the take away.
    We got the salmon on soda bread, the seafood chowder and the steak sandwich. All in all it was very nice. The steak was perfect, very tasty. chowder had plenty of meat in it and the salmon was grand and fresh.
    Was the first time I was in there since it was done up, was a bit freaked out, amazing what a lick of paint does to a place :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

thorbarry wrote: »
    Has anybody tried the take away from this place? I had it yesterday and it was really good. The section that used to be Di Fontains Pizza is now a take away specializing in fish and chips (no burgers). You can eat in too, they have about 4/5 large barrels in there with stools beside them (they bring the food out to you on a plate), and a few counters to eat too.

It was just really tasty, I would recommend it, the chips are not your usuall chipper chips, they are really fat, crunchy on the outside, and soft on the inside. The cod was very tasty too, it says it is caught fresh every day. I just really liked the place, anybody been there?

Were you drunk when you had it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Were you drunk when you had it?

I wasn't actually, have you tried it?

tony 2 tone, yea the take away menu is different alright. What's the price like for the eat in?

Salmon and soda bread, sea food chowder and a portion of chips and steak sandwich came to 25 euro. The steak was 12, chips were 3, not sure about the rest.
    Not bad, apart from the 3 euro for chips. :p

not bad at all, yea its nuts what places charge for chips, I remember they'd only be a euro everywhere... im getting old ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

Pity about the bar, i'll miss Dorans. Was in the new place last week and i didn't like it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

thorbarry wrote: »
    I wasn't actually, have you tried it?
    I might give it a go this week since exams are finishing today
    Paulj wrote: »
    Pity about the bar, i'll miss Dorans. Was in the new place last week and i didn't like it at all.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the cost of paying in plus the full priced-ness of drinks considering the atmosphere isn't great

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

I paid 5.40e there for a bottle of heineken :-o

fair enough if the prices of drinks there are higher than everywhere else, I wont be going. But the fact is, while eamon dorans was a good place for music, the pints there were terrible. I brought back so many pints in that place

The price of pints was a bit strange, Guinness was 4.95 and a Heinken was 5 euro.

• Advertisement

What is it usually? I've been paying over €5 for pints everywhere else in the city, i thought anyway... (I could be wrong, due to the drunkness at the time)

Just thought it was strange the difference between the Guinness and the lager was so small.

Advertisement