Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones Inn

Options
  • 11-12-2009 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

<<snip>> I saw a sign outside the "Greystones Inn" to say that it was now open. Didn't stop off to check this but I will be dropping in this weekend. I would have thought they would have a bit higher profile opening... Haven't heard anything about it at all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Think one of the many, many flyers we get through the door was from them... Still hardly a local in my eyes..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Think one of the many, many flyers we get through the door was from them... Still hardly a local in my eyes..

You do wonder why on earth they would want to buy/rent a bar when one has obviously just failed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

unless they've changed the stupid shape of the pub, i can't see it working. It the opposite of good feng shui. Really bad!

ciaran67 wrote: »
    You do wonder why on earth they would want to buy/rent a bar when one has obviously just failed there.

Talk about digging your own grave.. Still, I'll be showing my support this weekend..

I agree with dr ro, 2 large rooms and 3ft space to squeeze past the bar..
    The plans were clearly done by a 5 year old with crayons..

Anyway best of luck to the owner...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

where is this place lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

jobless wrote: »
    where is this place lads?

Its the old Scripts pub at the entrance to Charlesland Golf Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Anyone know their opening hours or whether they serve food yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 GreyStonesInn

Hi, we are open,

Monday to Thursday 4pm - 11.30pm
    Friday/Saturday 12.30pm - 12.30am
    Sunday 12.30pm - 11.00pm

At this moment we will are only serving soup & sandwiches.

Thank You

Will you be showing any sport on T.V...??

Thanks..

Hi, we are open,

Monday to Thursday 4pm - 11.30pm
    Friday/Saturday 12.30pm - 12.30am
    Sunday 12.30pm - 11.00pm

At this moment we will are only serving soup & sandwiches.

Thank You

How did you get on last night? I drove by in my cab a few times. We were asked a few times the direction down to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Will you be showing any sport on T.V...??

Thanks..

more importantly will you be turning the TVs off when there's no sport on - any time I went into Script they had giant screens showing MTV with the sound off - whats the point of that? Even worse is pubs showing Sky News all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

what about x factor on 4 screens while new z played france last week not on any tvs in pub i was in. They wouldn't change when i asked either. New dundrum pub. Boo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 wicklow123

Anyone been yet? Just a few questions Im sure everyone wants to know, might as well ask them all at once.

Toilets still in the basement?
    Price of pints?
    Is it over 21s/23s or just the normal 18s?
    General age range of people in there?
    Any late night/bar at weekend?
    Bouncers, is there any/are they needed?
    Promotions on drinks?
    Menu, finger food/full sit down?
    Is the DJ still there?
    Any plans for the upstairs?

Haha sorry with all the questions, the more you know about somewhere the easier it is to convince friends and family to go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

wicklow123 wrote: »
    Toilets still in the basement?
    Price of pints?
    Is it over 21s/23s or just the normal 18s?
    General age range of people in there?
    Any late night/bar at weekend?
    Bouncers, is there any/are they needed?
    Promotions on drinks?
    Menu, finger food/full sit down?
    Is the DJ still there?
    Any plans for the upstairs?

Was there over the weekend.
    Yeah, the toilets are still in the basement. The layout hasn't changed at all, they have just revamped the decór.

Price of a pint of Heineken is about on par with other pubs in Greystones at €4.65.

There are signs up saying that it is strictly over 21s but I don't think it was too heavily enforced over this weekend. I would imagine this was due to it being the opening weekend and they want to get as much coverage as possible.

The opening hours were already posted above by GreyStonesInn as was the food menu. Hopefully they will be expanding on the food, it's be nice to have a new pub with food and the food that was done there in the past was always delicious IMO.

There was a pretty decent age range in there on Saturday night. And as far as I can tell there are no plans for a DJ.

As for menu, like GreyStonesInn said there is soup and sanwiches.
    There were bouncers, but like I said, they seemed to be quite lenient on Saturday night.

Haven't heard anything about upstairs yet. Although if they are to do anything with it, I would have to guess at a resteraunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 GreyStonesInn

Good afternoon all,

I would like to answer/clarify some questions asked,

1) Yes sorry toilets are still in the basement (we want to combine light refreshment with a workout) but they have been revamped with new fittings,decor etc. The lift has been serviced and can be used if required.
    2) A pint of Guinness is €4.35/ Larger €4.65
    3) After our first weekend we are going to operate a policy where by over 18s who have ID (no exceptions) behave and show a little bit of respect for the premises, customers & staff will be very welcome. (goes for the over 21s,40s and 65s as well)
    4) A very mixed age range reflecting the area
    5) We serve till 12.30am Fri/Sat
    6) There are no bouncers on the door. On Saturday Sylester (Manager) and myself we on the floor meeting and greeting . I would agree that they send the wrong message. (Anybody in a monkey suit will be directed to the Ritz as they are clearly lost)
    7) Drink promotion - Buy 3 pay for 3 (joke)
    8)Menu - Hearty Soups and fresh cut sandwiches for the moment (Toasted special on batch bread going down a bomb)
    8) No DJs, Pool Tables, Juke Box or MTV (sorry if its your thing its just not mine)
    9) Once we get a feel for whats needed or will do well we will reopen upstairs for food (suggestions welcome)
    10) We have two Sky boxes so all major events will be shown with the majority having the vote. (Not a fan of Sky news on all day)
    11) I agree that there is too much space behind the bar and it creates a bottle neck but we have removed the cig machine and footrail from there and we will not be placing stools there in a effort to free it up. Without some serious structural changes we have to live with what we have got.

We are trying to create a good local pub with a decent pint in comfortable surroundings.

Thanks for all the good wishes and we look forward to seeing you soon

Regard

DM

Good afternoon all,

1) Yes sorry toilets are still in the basement (we want to combine light refreshment with a workout) but they have been revamped with new fittings,decor etc. The lift has been serviced and can be used if required.
    3) After our first weekend we are going to operate a policy where by over 18s who have ID (no exceptions) behave and show a little bit of respect for the premises, customers & staff will be very welcome. (goes for the over 21s,40s and 65s as well)
    6) There are no bouncers on the door. On Saturday Sylester (Manager) and myself we on the floor meeting and greeting . I would agree that they send the wrong message. (Anybody in a monkey suit will be directed to the Ritz as they are clearly lost)
    8)Menu - Hearty Soups and fresh cut sandwiches for the moment (Toasted special on batch bread going down a bomb)
    8) No DJs, Pool Tables, Juke Box or MTV (sorry if its your thing its just not mine)
    9) Once we get a feel for whats needed or will do well we will reopen upstairs for food (suggestions welcome)
    10) We have two Sky boxes so all major events will be shown with the majority having the vote. (Not a fan of Sky news on all day)
    11) I agree that there is too much space behind the bar and it creates a bottle neck but we have removed the cig machine and footrail from there and we will not be placing stools there in a effort to free it up. Without some serious structural changes we have to live with what we have got.

We are trying to create a good local pub with a decent pint in comfortable surroundings.

Regard

DM

Any chance you could drag it a bit closer to Charlesland?

All the best mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 wicklow123

Thanks for all the info!

In fairness it kind of sounds like the last pub that was there, minus MTV, DJ, pool tables, etc.

Do you plan any sort of theme nights, table quiz, karaoke type things. What are you ideas for getting in the crowds since the town is already pretty saturated in pubs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭sagat

the town is already pretty saturated in pubs?

LOL! if there's one thing Greystones is not, it's definitely not saturated in pubs.

Have you never seen a typical country town? There's usually more pubs than customers.

saturated in pubs?

Have you been to Athenry?!

We stupidly tried to drink our way over there for a wedding. I think i was off me nut by the time we arrived in Co. Kildare from Rathfarnham.

folks - please keep your comments on the new pub rather than have the thread degenerate into a bitch-fest about the established pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

What are you ideas for getting in the crowds since the town is already pretty saturated in pubs?

:D

Are you really from Wicklow?
    Have you never heard of Greystones - The town with no Pubs?

No pool table...:(
    Does that mean no darts either...?

No pool table...:(
    Does that mean no darts either...?

yeah - they're good for getting people in the door on quiet weeknights, couple of pints and a few games of pool.

Might be an idea for the upstairs - Greystones has had no pool or snooker hall since Sweeneys closed theirs over 5 years ago, there's definitely a market for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

loyatemu wrote: »
    yeah - they're good for getting people in the door on quiet weeknights, couple of pints and a few games of pool.

Might be an idea for the upstairs - Greystones has had no pool or snooker hall since Sweeneys closed theirs over 5 years ago, there's definitely a market for it.
    I know it's not Greystones but there is one in the Horse. Personally, I think pool tables can often invite hassle. Especially where there is drink involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Good afternoon all,

Regard

DM

so more or less the same as the last pub from what i read... and you expect to get new customers in how?... (I'm assuming the last pub closed due to lack of business)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

loyatemu wrote: »
    folks - please keep your comments on the new pub rather than have the thread degenerate into a bitch-fest about the established pubs.

it's hardly a bitchfest,just a fair come back to a untrue statement,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

jobless wrote: »
    so more or less the same as the last pub from what i read... and you expect to get new customers in how?... (I'm assuming the last pub closed due to lack of business)

It's hardly the same pub. Same layout, but they have made some good changes. There is no pool tables and no dart boards. It's much cosier looking and feeling inside, instead of the cold, "stylish" purples of the last pub. I think this really has a chance of being a nice surrounding to go for a few beers.
    heavyballs wrote: »
    it's hardly a bitchfest,just a fair come back to a untrue statement,

There were some posts deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

apologies so

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

At the end of the day a pub is a building which sells alcohol etc etc. It's the people who frequent the pub that determine what a pub is ultimately like. So if you want a good pub in Greystones, then help make this one good. Go along , have a beer or two and try and support it. If it fails, it fails but if it succeeds then all the better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭gar.k

At the end of the day a pub is a building which sells alcohol etc etc. It's the people who frequent the pub that determine what a pub is ultimately like. So if you want a good pub in Greystones, then help make this one good. Go along , have a beer or two and try and support it. If it fails, it fails but if it succeeds then all the better.

Well said, I find it amusing, the amount of posters who complain about greystones pubs but would never leave their house to support a new one

Advertisement