Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones Inn

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

i will definately pop along to have a look... to me though it didnt look like there was much change from the previous pub which failed(just from reading this thread). Ive never been to the other pub by the way.

In relation to the town centre where about is it?. I'm new to the area so was just wondering if its a taxi there and back or maybe they will have shuttle bus like the beach house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

jobless wrote: »
    i will definately pop along to have a look... to me though it didnt look like there was much change from the previous pub which failed(just from reading this thread). Ive never been to the other pub by the way.

In relation to the town centre where about is it?. I'm new to the area so was just wondering if its a taxi there and back or maybe they will have shuttle bus like the beach house?

Definitely a taxi. Infact i think you should get a taxi everywhere :)

Its just on the right going into Greystones from Charlesland where the Dart parking is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 GreyStonesInn

Evening All,

In response to some questions raised about types of entertainment the VFI in conjunction with Smithwicks are running a "Stars of our Bars" National Talent Competition (not restricted to just singing although burping out the National Anthem might not count as talent)starting early next year. It has a prize fund of over €50,000. Is this something that would interest people in the area.

I would appreciate any feedback/comments.

Cheers
    DM

although burping out the National Anthem might not count as talent

Damn, back to the drawing board :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Was there on friday night and was severly dissappointed in the place, No atmosphere, no music, very bright, pints tasted funky and the barman didn't know what a baby guiness was and when we told them, we were then told they didn't have shot glasses.

I would have to say first impressions were worse than the original script. IMO third time lucky won't work unless there's some major atmospheric improvements otherwise i would see the building becoming vacant again by march.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that you did not enjoy yourself on Friday. With regard to the baby Guinness I did hear someone asking for them but it was not that the barstaff did not know what was in them (Tia Maria or Kahlua topped with Baileys in a shot glass if anyone is interested) but we could not serve them properly without the shot glass (my fault). This was rectified the next day. On your other points I would say that people are the most important factor when it comes to atmosphere. The music is something we are looking into so for the moment we have the best of the 70s to 90s both insde and out. Note:If you have any hidden talents and want a shot at fame see previous postings. I feel the level of light is just right but we will ask the question. "Pints tasting funky" is not something we heard over the weekend in fact the opposite. All the beer lines have been thoroughly cleaned by the tech reps, the stock is fresh and the coolers are serviced and set to the correct temp. (I tasted a few purely for research and found them spot on)

Next time your down and you feel something is not right let either myself of Sylvester know and we will do our best to fix it.

Cheers
    DM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

DM,
    Just a couple of questions,
    When do you plan to serve a larger menu than soup and sandwiches? Why was there no music playing on Friday? (according to one of the previous posters). Also, how many lines do you have there?
    Thanks!

Rasmus,
    We will make a decision early in the new year as to when we start doing a full menu and what type of menu that is. I think the last posting might have been refering to live music (correct me if I'm wrong). There was music playing through the sound system right up till closing as I said a mixture of 70s - 90s hits. Please expand on "how many lines do you have" and I wll respond as best I can.

Thanks
    DM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

I think up stairs should be made in to a games room... Snooker table, pool tables, dart board etc.. there is nothing like this in the area..
    This pub needs to be different in some way from the rest of them..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Thanks for your answer DM. My question about the lines; I wondered how many of each beer do you have on tap, and what are they?
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I tasted a few purely for research and found them spot on.

Yes, I like to do my research also. On a weekly basis in fact and with large quantities, to get more accurate results of course (normally the results are falling into bed and awaking after many hours with a pounding headache).

Morning All,

To answer your question we have,

2 x Guinness
    1 x Smithwicks
    1 x Carlsberg
    1 x Budweiser (Brewery want Bud Ice in as well any comments ?)
    2 x Heineken
    1 x Coors Light
    1 x Bulmers

If there is a demand for something we don't have we will look at putting it in.

Cheers
    DM

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hi

A pool table upstairs is a good idea.

price the pints slightly cheaper than up the road.

maybe have poker nights up stairs with beer / finger food brought to the tables...even private poker nights?

Morning,

The price of the "pint" is to the best of my knowledge less than up the road. With regard to the others I think we are about the same. Not to moan but all our stock was purchased pre budget and we did reduce the price the next day by the 15c. I think the poker nights would be a good idea and we will sort this out for the New Year. The jury is still out on the pool tables.

Thanks for the feedback
    DM

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

A Games room upstairs is a great idea. There is nothing in area that offers anything like it. There also used to be regular poker nights in the wicklow arms but as far as i know these havent happened in a while. They used to get a decent enough crowd. You could charge a Registration fee and then sell your drink/food to the players. This could also be held upstairs so that i wouldn't effect the pub downstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Morning All,

To answer your question we have,

2 x Guinness
    1 x Smithwicks
    1 x Carlsberg
    1 x Budweiser (Brewery want Bud Ice in as well any comments ?)
    2 x Heineken
    1 x Coors Light
    1 x Bulmers

If there is a demand for something we don't have we will look at putting it in.

Cheers
    DM

a decent european lager or weissbeer - Erdinger, Warsteiner, even Stella are on tap in other pubs. The ones you've listed are all pretty bland.

loyatemu wrote: »
    a decent european lager or weissbeer - Erdinger, Warsteiner, even Stella are on tap in other pubs. The ones you've listed are all pretty bland.

Maybe some local ales from Wicklow?

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Maybe some local ales from Wicklow?

are there any locally brewed beers? - I know there's a brewery in Carlow http://www.carlowbrewing.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

Gotta agree there, some nice Weissbeer or some decent German, Dutch, Czech or Belgian beer would be nice, (even in bottles)

In fact, speaking as one of the members of Greysones Beer Club, a few nice beers would definitely attract me and others to the pub.

• Advertisement

Greystones Beer Club

does this actually exist?

Her: "you're not going to the pub again!?"
    Me: "its not the pub, its the beer club. It's, y'know, educational..."

heheheh...

Indeed it does, we meet once a month or so to sample the many and various beers the world has to offer.
    It's proved so popular we've had a second beer club start up in Greystones.

BTW if anyone is looking for some "different from the usual" beer, can I recommend Hollands off licence in Bray?
    Great selection of beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

my previous post was not referring to live music, it was just music in general, the only music that i could hear was at the bar and was barely audible, all of the TVs appeared to be off apart from one, and the barman didn't know what a baby guinness was as he asked me the ingredients and when he poured it the baileys had curdled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

does this actually exist?

Her: "you're not going to the pub again!?"
    Me: "its not the pub, its the beer club. It's, y'know, educational..."

heheheh...
    Rule number one is you do not talk about Beer Club.

@GreystonesInn: Macreddin have a microbrewery and do their own beer and stout. Can't vouch for the stout but the beer wasn't bad.

Other suggestions would be Erdinger or maybe even Paulaner. Any chance of Abbot in bottles too?

Perhaps you could liaise with Matt and have a "beer of the month" on promo.

@ Matt: How does one join Beer Club? I can bring my own gut and have a penchant for real ale.

Evening All,

What we have decided to do is pull the least populor beer after Christmas and replace it with something that has been suggested. I had a couple of pints of Krombacker (not sure of the spelling) last night and it was very good. On the day of the switch over we will have an "out with the old in with the new" promo on the beers. I will get some stock of the bottles mentioned in the mean time and see how they do.

Cheers
    DM

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Myself and my friend did a pub crawl (of sorts) on Sunday evening. We were going to have a pint in The Greystones Inn, The Burnaby, The Beach House and Dans. Guess what?? Last 3 pubs were pretty jammers. There were only 3 other people in the Greystones Inn.... such a shame.. this is Christmas week and there is a perfectly good pub just sitting there completley devoid of customers....

Evening All,

Thanks to the previous post for his positive comments but he is is right in that a "perfectly good pub" is going to waste. So with that in mind come on down, have a pint ,watch the match, read the newspaper, surf the internet (Wi-Fi available),spend some quality time with your partner or have a moan at the barmen or me (its all good once you get here).

Hope to see you soon,

Thanks
    DM

A very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from everybody at the GreyStones Inn.

ps We are open Christmas Eve and St Stephens Day from 12.30pm showing the big matches.Cheers

Evening All,

As requested we have got in the following bottle beers,

Erdinger
    Paulaner
    Stella Artois
    Sam Adams

We also have the Erdinger in non alcoholic. We will be getting a new draught beer early in the new year (majority decides which).

Happy New Year

Regards
    DM

PS We will be open New Years Eve till 12.30am so come on down and ring in the new year with us. Cheers

are there any locally brewed beers? - I know there's a brewery in Carlow http://www.carlowbrewing.com/

It's a real shame there isnt more local micro beer. When i lived in British Columbia they had loads of local different micro breweries, even our two pubs nearest us on the north shore of Vancouver were both micro pubs. Irish pubs seem to only ever have the same 4 or 5 lagers. Right im off to the shed. Charlesland Amber Ale by this time next year!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Yipper

8)Menu - Hearty Soups and fresh cut sandwiches for the moment (Toasted special on batch bread going down a bomb)

DM

With respect DM, the soup is dreadful....it's like water. When I complained, your barman didn't seem to bothered. The food offered in both Script and Woodlands Lodge was FAR superior...

And could you please get a credit card machine installed asap...
    I'm not being picky...this is constructive criticism

Advertisement