Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones Inn

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jclare56

Hey all,

I was down in the greystones inn over the holidays and i have to say i liked it - had the soup and sandwiches and they were yum - nice bread on the sandwiches!!!

The layout was much the same as script but the colour scheme was really nice and definately an improvement. Id definately go back when they are set up properly for pub grub. Only one thing id say - it needs some serious promotional work, noone i have talked to knew it was open again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

My father in law approves of the Guinness anyway! I wouldn't drink it if it was the last thing on the planet, so if he likes it, that's good enough for me. Very quiet on NYE when he popped in, although it was admittedly early evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Pommiedude

Hi DM

Firstly congrats on opening up I wish you well for 2010, I havent managed to get down yet to have a look and a pint but will do shortly, Glad to hear that you will have the sports on Sky that gives me a good excuse to get out the house and come for a few beers secondly Can you let me know you mentioned that you have wifi ? Is it free and who supplies it ie Eircom, BT etc......

Best Wishes and look forward to a few pints ........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 GreyStonesInn

Evening All,

The broadband is supplied by Eircom and is free to customers.

Cheers

DM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Radio|Man

Hi all. First time poster, long time forum reader but lurker!

Thought I would chime in being from the area and also being a non drinker.

+1 for the pool/snooker room or a 'games' room (darts and cards etc.)

Some foundation for the claim is to think about this. Pub traffic has declined without doubt in the last few years. Why? Well, what do you have to offer that in reality we can't cater for ourselves back home? Sure didn't we spend all that money we didn't have in the first place on plasma TVs, that mini bar, the comfy couch etc. during the good old times. D'ya think I'm going to spend what little money I have on a pint when I can get a ratio of 4:1 in Tesco or probably 10:1 in Lidl whilst savoring the luxuries I'm still paying off on my credit card-which you won't accept!! Don't tell me you don't accept Lazer either ?? Ultra fail if so.

So what have you got to offer me? Friendly surroundings? Great atmosphere? The Match !!? Sure don't I already pay 50/70 quid a month for the pleasure at home! B****x all is what you have to offer me ;)

A pub in Greystones, has got to be more than just a pub. Sure isn't there a pub already-Burnaby shows the match, has "great surroundings", good(ish) food etc. and is main street on the way home. Your just sitting there, out in the cold, further from the DART and generally a little bit out of the way.
    I don't drink and drive so although you do win in the access to parking department, you give me no reason to come visit.

Opening the top floor and turning it into a pool hall, or snooker hall or multi angle games room, gives people a reason to come through your door mid week. And if they drop down for a few frames during the week, the chances are they'll come back again at the weekend and you'll be rammed.

Plus its wasted space just sitting there and what better an advertisement then to have people driving towards you on the way out from Greystones actually seeing some life in the place. At the moment, its not exactly an inviting building.

Actually, why not open a Wii room ! It sure would save you on cost (Cost of Wii, screen, payment system Vs Pool/Snooker tables unless you can get them at auction from somewhere shutting down). Ireland's first Wii bar! Sure you might even get sponsorship from the Nintendo PR company here in Ireland.

Whatever you do, good luck with it and be creative, but just don't expect to sit there as a "Bar" and survive. It won't happen. Look at what went before you.

The beer brands you have moved on reflect the clientele you so far have through the door-your not dealing with a pint o bud, bud an a pecket o crisps bud, ya know wud I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Have to say, he is right you know....

Afternoon all,

I am told that we should be getting our C/C machine in a matter of days. (now that I have given my eldest child as security). Sorry for the delay and any problems it may have caused.

Regards
    DM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I second the nintendo wii idea

...but you'll need either a huge screen for the four player or two wii's concoles with two separate large screens!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The Yipper wrote: »
    the soup is dreadful
    My father in law approves of the Guinness anyway!

The Guinness is the soup! :D

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Tinwhistle*

Evening All,

In response to some questions raised about types of entertainment the VFI in conjunction with Smithwicks are running a "Stars of our Bars" National Talent Competition (not restricted to just singing although burping out the National Anthem might not count as talent)starting early next year. It has a prize fund of over €50,000. Is this something that would interest people in the area.

I would appreciate any feedback/comments.

Cheers
    DM

We're running this too. Haven't had any response just yet. Have you?

We're in Kildare.
    T*

• Advertisement

Hi,

Just put up the posters so no response back yet. Keeping an open mind.

Cheers
    DM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

Another angle to this - Good luck with your Venture - the town could really do with another place to go. I hav'nt been down to your place yet so I cant give a view but will get down sometime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Was down there last night and tonight..
    Great looking place... pints of black weren't bad... but as mentioned earlier, It's just not going to make it as "Just another pub"....

Snooker table, pool, dart board and the odd poker tourmey upstairs... thats my vote...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭noker

Would not advise getting in Bud Ice Cold. The freezing tap does look great but the cooler needed is huge.

Same beer just cooler and doesn't keep its head.

Afternoon All,

I agree with you on the Bud Ice (there is enough ice around without bringing more in) With regard to the "out with the old and in with the new beer promo" it looks like Erdinger & Krombacker are out front with Sam Adams a distant third. Let either myself or Syl know if you have any other suggestions.
    Having given the snooker/pool suggestion a lot of thought and speaking to people when they come in I have decided not to run with the idea. I am making this decision based on the feedback from the majority and having been involved in snooker halls in Dublin with my family. Sorry to disappoint the people who suggested it. I do agree that a pub has to offer a lot more these days and on that basis we will be running with some of your other suggestions i.e. Poker Tournaments, Race Nights , Pub Quiz's, Talent Comps, Sunday Morning Jazz etc (watch this space for details). Anthing we do run has to compliment what we are trying to do and that is build a good local pub first and foremost.

Thanks for you comments and I look forward to seeing you soon.

Regards
    DM

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

Was in there the other night for a birthday party. Had a great night. Cheers Greystones Inn! : ) Still confused over the 21's or 18's thing though. :S

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭geem

I wouldn't like to run a pub in Greystones. There is and always has been one pub crowd. They move from pub to pub, five years here, seven years there. They could hit your pub next month or in 6 years time.
    Take no notice of all the suggestions for scuba diving, quiz's, competitions and all that rubbish.
    Just be a bit cheaper than the others, a lot friendlier than the others, (this won't be hard) chuck the odd plate of free cocktail sausages around at weekends. and have bar people who will offer to bring the drinks over. Oh and make friends with the taxi drivers cos they tell everyone everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

geem wrote: »
    Oh and make friends with the taxi drivers cos they tell everyone everything.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

I Oh and make friends with the taxi drivers cos they tell everyone everything.

Actually, I worked in a restaurant years ago that used to bring the local b&b owners in for a free meal at the start of each summer and possibly the end too. Might be an idea to do something like that with the local taxi guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

IJust be a bit cheaper than the others, a lot friendlier than the others, (this won't be hard) chuck the odd plate of free cocktail sausages around at weekends. and have bar people who will offer to bring the drinks over. Oh and make friends with the taxi drivers cos they tell everyone everything.

Makes a lot of sense

• Advertisement

Actually, I worked in a restaurant years ago that used to bring the local b&b owners in for a free meal at the start of each summer and possibly the end too. Might be an idea to do something like that with the local taxi guys?

I second that and maybe free beer aswell. Very good idea indeed.

Evening All,

Thanks for the comments. To clear up any confusion over the age limit ,over 18s who have ID (no exceptions) will be welcome as long as they behave and show a bit of respect (see previous post). So far we have been very happy with the younger crowd we have got in.

Cheers
    DM

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

The Wicklow Arms used to do Poker nights in their function rooms years ago - as far as I am aware, was very successful. using the old restaurant for the same may also be very successful - a few poker night fliers around Charlesland would have me and at least 10 of my friends banging down the door :D

The Wicklow Arms used to do Poker nights in their function rooms years ago - as far as I am aware, was very successful. using the old restaurant for the same may also be very successful - a few poker night fliers around Charlesland would have me and at least 10 of my friends banging down the door :D

They do that in a pub near my family in Ballyboden. Its very popular.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Morning All,

To answer your question we have,

2 x Guinness
    1 x Smithwicks
    1 x Carlsberg
    1 x Budweiser (Brewery want Bud Ice in as well any comments ?)
    2 x Heineken
    1 x Coors Light
    1 x Bulmers

If there is a demand for something we don't have we will look at putting it in.

Cheers
    DM

was thinking of dropping in at the weekend but that a really bad selection of beers - are you intending of installing any craft beers ? supporting some irish breweries ? do you have a better selection on bottled beers?

EDIT SORRY JUST SEEN YOUR PREVIOUS POST ABOUT INCREASING YOUR BOTTLE BEERS

Evening All,

Just to let everybody know that we have at last recieved our Credit/Laser Card machine. So from this day forth we accept all major cards including Amex. So if your card can handle the post Christmas stress and is still intact please feel free to try out our new machine (all purchases come with either a drink or something to eat)

Sorry for the delay.

Cheers

DM

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

I wouldn't like to run a pub in Greystones. There is and always has been one pub crowd. They move from pub to pub, five years here, seven years there. They could hit your pub next month or in 6 years time.
    Take no notice of all the suggestions for scuba diving, quiz's, competitions and all that rubbish.
    Just be a bit cheaper than the others, a lot friendlier than the others, (this won't be hard) chuck the odd plate of free cocktail sausages around at weekends. and have bar people who will offer to bring the drinks over. Oh and make friends with the taxi drivers cos they tell everyone everything.
    Have to agree with the above we called in at the weekend guinness was very good ,place was very clean, barman friendly,will be very hard to make a sucess of it ,but good luck for trying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

i think a poker nightwould definately be a great idea... i would definately play...
    there is one in newtowmountkennedy every friday and its very busy i heard

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

jobless wrote: »
    i think a poker nightwould definately be a great idea... i would definately play...
    there is one in newtowmountkennedy every friday and its very busy i heard

I'd play the poker for 20-30 quid not the 60 odd you see in some pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clodagh84

Having experienced customer service in the States, and taken a good look at what draws people into an establishment in an environment saturated with bars and restaurants, I would like to offer these suggestions to any new pub.
    Patrons love something free, no matter how small;
    Offer free refills to anyone drinking tea or coffee with their meal. And a free tea/coffee to a non-drinking partner (a free tea/coffee with every alcoholic drink purchased).

"Happy Hour" is a HUGE draw for customers in a bar.... Have a Happy Hour menu which has 5 or 6 appetisers available for between 2 and 6 euros each. The Happy Hour menu is available every day between 5pm and 7pm, to draw folks in on their way home from work, or after a days shopping. More often than not, these patrons stay on after Happy Hour is over.
    It`s all about using the food/free refills/free tea or coffee to increase your alcohol sales, because it`s the alcohol that boosts your profits, right?

Another thing that is very popular with the patron is being offered easy finger foods that go well with beer, and represent great value. For example: "Taco Tuesdays/Thursdays" where you offer your customers tacos @ .50 cent each. Tacos and beer...great combo, and highly popular where I have seen it done.

I have many other suggestions which I would be happy to share with you, GreystonesInn, if you email me.

Advertisement