Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones Inn

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Reading this thread is making me feel really old!

Whatever happened to just going for a pint? Is that a thing of the past?

If the posts here are correct (and I mean no offence to the posters) and the only way of getting people into a pub is; quality food, cheap food, football, no football, pool, quizzes, happy hours, 87 different types of beer, etc etc then the licensed vintners have got it very wrong and are wasting their money on Daire O'Briains advertising campaign.

Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    Reading this thread is making me feel really old!

Whatever happened to just going for a pint? Is that a thing of the past?

If the posts here are correct (and I mean no offence to the posters) and the only way of getting people into a pub is; quality food, cheap food, football, no football, pool, quizzes, happy hours, 87 different types of beer, etc etc then the licensed vintners have got it very wrong and are wasting their money on Daire O'Briains advertising campaign.

Just a thought.

Surely there is room for a different kind of pub. Every pub in Gstones is exactly the same. Infact they are all, 'just going for a pint' type of boozers. Nobody is asking for 87 types of beer, just perhaps something different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Every pub in Gstones is exactly the same.
    Really ? I think most people would agree that there is a huge difference between Danns and the Burnaby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

jamegg wrote: »
    I'd play the poker for 20-30 quid not the 60 odd you see in some pubs.

yeah a cheap game would draw the crowds..... 60 quid is a bit too steep for me too...

to the poster above.... for a new pub to draw a crowd they need to do something different... as this new pub isnt in as good a location as others it needs to have something to make people go out of there way

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clodagh84

Would any of my suggestions draw any of you to a new pub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Clodagh,

I like the idea of Taco Thursday....
    Themed nights will defo draw the crowds.... Example, we have the Superbowl coming up in 2 weeks so why not a "Superbowl Sunday" themed evening - all American drinks 50% off or something!! Maybe even an extension to show the match!

There is the 6 nations coming up also - proper decor, BIG screens and rugby giveaways before and after the games would also draw a big crowds (O2, Guinness & RBS have unlimited stuff for pubs during the tournament)

The sky is the limit in my opinion!!!

Clodagh84 wrote: »
    Would any of my suggestions draw any of you to a new pub?

Tacos and beer every time!
    Tks Clodagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

The Leitrum lounge is doing 3 pints for €10...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Anyone remember the Thursday night specials in the old La Touche Hotel? Place would be jammed. Any drink for £2 was one I remember. The deal would only run from 5-7pm, but people would stay on longer.. sometimes much longer, and head into Lautrex afterwards..

I think you need to do something to bring the crowds in, as mentioned above.
    You're off the beaten track for a lot of the town, so what can you do that the other pubs aren't offering.

How about having some live acoustic music on a Friday or Saturday night. No need to go for a full band, as you already have that in some other pubs.

A snooker/pool table has been mentioned. I don't really play, but the last time I was in a pub that had one, and joined a mate for a game, I stayed longer than I would have normally, and drank a couple of extra pints. Something to think about..

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭G.MAN

Heres a crazy idea. Why doesnt everyone here stop posting about why the pub will fail and what is needed and just go out and support a new local business.It is badly needed to break the beech house/burnaby domination both of which are poor, unfriendly establishments

• Advertisement

G.MAN wrote: »
    Heres a crazy idea. Why doesnt everyone here stop posting about why the pub will fail and what is needed and just go out and support a new local business.It is badly needed to break the beech house/burnaby domination both of which are poor, unfriendly establishments

We are posting suggestions to help make this new pub a success, so that the Beach House/Burnaby monopoly CAN be overcome, G'Man! You are right, they have a long way to go to fix their unfriendly reputation.
    I would love to see someone new rise above the norm for this town, and be known for their wonderful service, and welcoming establishment. Hence the suggestions! :)

Maybe I need to ride back into Dodge myself, and show the other inn keepers what real competition is!! :D

I fully intend to support this new pub next time I am in town! :D

Heres a crazy idea. Why doesnt everyone here stop posting about why the pub will fail and what is needed and just go out and support a new local business.

I think thats what most of us are saying. A lot of people round here are creatures of habit. There is a large youngish (30/40's) in the area of Charlesland/Seabourne/Fairways who i would guess are looking for something a bit new. I've had quite a few people get in my cab asking about where the lively spots are. Unfortunately they are heading out of GStones to Bray seafront.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

It is badly needed to break the beech house/burnaby domination both of which are poor, unfriendly establishments

Agreed!!! Both are soulless places. Dann's is the only place with atmosphere, esp. on Trad night (Tue).

Take some advice from "Cheers" - "Where Everybody Knows Your Name". Get to know strangers and make them welcome, as well as regulars (which most places - even Beech House & Burnaby - do well...).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD8ljNobUys

darter wrote: »
    Agreed!!! Both are soulless places. Dann's is the only place with atmosphere, esp. on Trad night (Tue).

Take some advice from "Cheers" - "Where Everybody Knows Your Name". Get to know strangers and make them welcome, as well as regulars (which most places - even Beech House & Burnaby - do well...).

"How's a beer sound, Norm?"
    "I dunno. I usually finish them before they get a word in." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

went in last night, to say I was underwhelmed would be an understatement.
    They had some god awful 8o's "music" playing both outside and inside, we nearrly didn't bother going in. But in we went. Not very busy (dead really)
    Asked the very happy (NOT!) looking barman for a bottle of Erdinger to which he replied "I don't think we have any" "Are you sure?" I asked. mumble mumble off he went to search and lo and behold as if by magic the bottle appeared from a warm fridge under the counter..
    I risked asking if he the right glass for the beer, and was not dissapointed to find he didn't. I settled for a half pint glass. After about 15 minutes and about as much Rick Astley as I could handle, we left. There was another barman who made an effort to say hello and good evening and seemed a decent chap, but our encounter with the first fellow ensured we'd think twice about going back. As we left, grumpy barman was outside smoking and literally turned his back on us as we walked by.
    we definitely will not be rushing back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 GreyStonesInn

Sorry to hear that you were not happy. We will resolve the Erdinger glass issue. I checked the playlist and there is only one Rick Ashley song out of 200+ but you can consider him history from now on . With regard to you comments ref Syl I feel your comments are very unfair as anybody who knows him would say he is very pleasent and helpful. The Erdinger is kept in an undercounter fridge (set to 5 degrees)as they are too tall for the coolers. You are very much mistaken as to whom you saw outside smoking as Syl does not and never has smoked.
    Thanks
    DM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

They had some god awful 8o's "music" playing both outside and inside, we nearrly didn't bother going in. But in we went. Not very busy (dead really)
    Asked the very happy (NOT!) looking barman for a bottle of Erdinger to which he replied "I don't think we have any" "Are you sure?" I asked. mumble mumble off he went to search and lo and behold as if by magic the bottle appeared from a warm fridge under the counter..
    I risked asking if he the right glass for the beer, and was not dissapointed to find he didn't. I settled for a half pint glass. After about 15 minutes and about as much Rick Astley as I could handle, we left. There was another barman who made an effort to say hello and good evening and seemed a decent chap, but our encounter with the first fellow ensured we'd think twice about going back. As we left, grumpy barman was outside smoking and literally turned his back on us as we walked by.

Would be interested to know if any of the pubs in the town meet your standards?

So much so, darter, that in the Burnaby a stranger can be sitting up at the bar for a full 5 minutes waiting to be served, while their regulars walk in afterwards, and get served straight away, as the stranger looks on in amazement!!

I am glad to hear that GreystonesInn has friendly barmen. That in itself will draw people back!

Here is a link to "Happy Hour" Food Specials that an Irish pub does in San Diego, to give you an idea of what people like in a successful pub!

http://www.thefield.com/food/happy-hour.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Clodagh84 wrote: »
    Here is a link to "Happy Hour" Food Specials that an Irish pub does in San Diego, to give you an idea of what people like in a successful pub!

http://www.thefield.com/food/happy-hour.html
    Great... An Irish bar that serves "Car Bombs".

Great... An Irish bar that serves "Car Bombs".

Oh no... have they really got those in their bar...? I am very surprised at an Irish bar in America serving those. It is some of the americans here who are naive about the significance of naming a drink in such a way! And believe me, when I first heard about that drink here, I made it known that naming a drink in such a way was a total lack of respect to those who had lost lives in our troubles here. But in an Irish bar...!!

But, lets stay on topic here! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

I certainly have not found the staff unfriendly in the Greystones inn.

I popped in on Christmas week as it was a friends birthday, there was about a group of 15 of us and the staff were great to us. I have to say it was nice to be able to get a comfortable seat and not have music too loud or far too many people crammed in and be able to talk to each other while enjoying the surroundings. On a Tuesday night we were not the only people there, there were some others too which was nice.

On NYE we called up for the countdown, not expecting the place to be crazy. it again was a nice relaxed atmosphere. it was ourselves (group of 8), a couple and another group of 10 or so. The staff were great - champagne at midnight and everyone took time out to wish each other a happy new year. We found the bar men particularly welcoming and nice and we had great banter with them when we were leaving. The only gripe i have is that the credit card machine wasn't yet installed then (i read that it is now).

The pub is so close to home so it's really handy, I hope to pop up and have some food. One point to note, we had a fantastic night in the Woodlands lodge one night when there was a table quiz on - a really great one! Best of luck with it and hope to sample the food soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

I certainly have not found the staff unfriendly in the Greystones inn.

I popped in on Christmas week as it was a friends birthday, there was about a group of 15 of us and the staff were great to us. I have to say it was nice to be able to get a comfortable seat and not have music too loud or far too many people crammed in and be able to talk to each other while enjoying the surroundings. On a Tuesday night we were not the only people there, there were some others too which was nice.

On NYE we called up for the countdown, not expecting the place to be crazy. it again was a nice relaxed atmosphere. it was ourselves (group of 8), a couple and another group of 10 or so. The staff were great - champagne at midnight and everyone took time out to wish each other a happy new year. We found the bar men particularly welcoming and nice and we had great banter with them when we were leaving. The only gripe i have is that the credit card machine wasn't yet installed then (i read that it is now).

The pub is so close to home so it's really handy, I hope to pop up and have some food. One point to note, we had a fantastic night in the Woodlands lodge one night when there was a table quiz on - a really great one! Best of luck with it and hope to sample the food soon!

Great post...

Great post...

Hear hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Popped in over the weekend to watch the Heineken cup games.... great view, nice screens, friendly barstaff, bit of banter with fellow customers, all plus's in my book.... Great pub!!
    :D;):)

I went in yesterday and found the staff very friendly indeed. The place looks great and i hope they make a go of it. Best bit was seeing Arsene Wenger's face as the 2nd goal went in. Always a welcome sight. :D

Mr Le Tis... give'em a chance mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kavger

One way to describe the new Greystones Inn is quite simply "a breath of fresh air" . Its all about service, and a little effort and your on your way. I was very pleasently suprised and relieved to meet a great bunch of lads behind the bar and as i said, it was a breath of fresh air and a seriously great pint to wash down the soup and sambo. I can see its going in a much better direction to its previous tenants!!!

Its very simple, look after your punters and you cant go wrong, and thats what you can see happening in there. Its great to have one pub out of lets say four in the area, that you know when you walk in, you wont be ignored!!

Best of luck lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Anyone tried the Guinness, any good ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

The Guide wrote: »
    Would be interested to know if any of the pubs in the town meet your standards?

Quite like Danns actually.

Advertisement