Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones Inn

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

ciaran67 wrote: »
    I went in yesterday and found the staff very friendly indeed. The place looks great and i hope they make a go of it. Best bit was seeing Arsene Wenger's face as the 2nd goal went in. Always a welcome sight. :D

Mr Le Tis... give'em a chance mate.

Fair enough Ciaran, I'm sure I'll be back.

Sorry to hear that you were not happy. We will resolve the Erdinger glass issue. I checked the playlist and there is only one Rick Ashley song out of 200+ but you can consider him history from now on . With regard to you comments ref Syl I feel your comments are very unfair as anybody who knows him would say he is very pleasent and helpful. The Erdinger is kept in an undercounter fridge (set to 5 degrees)as they are too tall for the coolers. You are very much mistaken as to whom you saw outside smoking as Syl does not and never has smoked.
    Thanks
    DM

Fair enough, thanks for your reply.
    I can tell you that I definitely was not made feel remotely welcome by Syl, I got looked at like I was well out of place. I'm over 40 years of age and do enjoy my beer (and food) and the fact that you got the Erdinger in after it was requested by forumers here was what made me go in to have a drink on my way home, because you made the effort to get it in I made the effort to buy and drink it.

I will say that I had a bit of a hangover the next day which is perhaps why my original post might have been a bit snippy. I will go back because other than Danns there is nowhere else to drink in Greystones and a new business deserves support.

At the end of the day a pub is a building which sells alcohol etc etc. It's the people who frequent the pub that determine what a pub is ultimately like. So if you want a good pub in Greystones, then help make this one good. Go along , have a beer or two and try and support it. If it fails, it fails but if it succeeds then all the better.

I still stand by this post,so I won't let one bad experience put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

I still stand by this post,so I won't let one bad experience put me off.

Never gonna give you uuuup...

Rick Astley has left the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

Will you be showing the United-City game on wednesday night??? Going to be a real bruiser if Gary Neville and "it's-only-about-money" Tevez both get played.

Here's an off-the-wall idea - in the US and Canada they put green food dye in the beer on St. Paddy's day. Wacko I know, but it's all a bit of fun.

How about getting some red dye and blue dye, and those who support City get blue dye in their beer, and those who support United get red dye. Dosen't work for the black stuff of course, but works well for lager and lighter coloured ales.

I can hear it now - "A pint of RED Smithwicks please...".

Could extend this to other big games - Arsenal-Chelsea etc.

How about the first pint free to those who come in team shirts?

I've always enjoyed going to Sinnot's for the big games - it's almost as good as being there. Perhaps there's a niche here for the Greystones Inn, as none of the local pubs have good viewing screens for the games. I get neck-ache in the Beech House, and it's too noisy in the Burnaby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Greystones Inn, will you be showing the Superbowl?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

darter wrote: »
    Here's an off-the-wall idea - in the US and Canada they put green food dye in the beer on St. Paddy's day. Wacko I know, but it's all a bit of fun.

please don't do this - the shamrocks on the top of the pints are bad enough - leave the leprechaun shtick to the americans
    How about getting some red dye and blue dye, and those who support City get blue dye in their beer, and those who support United get red dye.

you wouldn't need to order any blue dye :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 GreyStonesInn

Morning All,

Thanks for all the positive comments. With regard to some questions yes we will be showing the City v Utd match with our now regular half time nibbles. I have checked out the Superbowl and i'm afraid its on to late on a Sunday for us to show it Sorry.

Cheers
    DM

Rasmus,

Just thought if it is any good to you we could Sky+ the Superbowl and show it the next day (I know its not the same but if it helps we would gladly do it)

Cheers
    DM

not a bad idea. But is it possible to get through the day without the result?
    could be worth trying though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Just back from the Greystones Inn. Didn't realise it opened at 4, was there at 3.30 but was invited in anyway for two coffees.
    Friendly chap, I liked it. Plus, apparantely they'll show the golf if there is no big football game on.
    I am going to book the seats right beside the TV when the Masters start. 8 hours of Guinness and Golf...Yippeeeee

Afternoon All

Thanks for the comments. Just to let you know we open at 4.00pm Mon to Thursday and 12.30pm Fri to Sun (most times were there earlier so if the lights are on please feel free to come on in).Don't forget the big match tonight United v City (ko 7.45pm)with free half time nibbles.We can also show the Everton v Sunderland match if anyone wishes.

Cheers
    DM

Don't forget the big match tonight United v City (ko 7.45pm)with free half time nibbles.

Colchester vs Exeter on live... excellent! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

Heading there for the match tonight. Hopefully it will be great as i need a change of scene

conlof wrote: »
    Heading there for the match tonight. Hopefully it will be great as i need a change of scene

Well guys the jury is in! Went to the Inn to see the united city match with a united supporter. Quite impressed with the layout and decor in what is quite an akwardly designed pub. No carpet on the walls and the parisienne knocking shop look is long gone. Sat by the fire place, big tellly to look at. Drinks brought down to us and nice nibbles at half time. Met Darren and Syl, very pleasant. And they put on the Arsenal Villa highlights afterwards. Go on the GUNNERS! OK 0-0 not exactly what I was looking for. Any way myself and my mate were very happy with the overall experience of the place and also felt that it would be a nice spot to bring the wives which we will be doing.
    So we'll be going back.
    There is, however, a more important point to be made. These guys want our patronage, they are prepared to accomadate us in any reasonable requests we might have, but most importantly they are a third pub in Greystones and if we don't support them, all too soon, we'll be back to the Burnaby and the beachhouse. Furthermore its the closest pub to charlesland I even walked down to it.
    When Cafe de Fiore went out of business in charlesland everyone thought it such a shame that the commmunity had lost an amenity. Yet so many of those people hadn't supported it. The lesson being if you want choice you must get involved.
    Anyway good luck to Darren and Syl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

The two times i went out with friends I was here...
    What can i say, the boys are trying real hard covering everyone needs and making everyone happy... and fair play to them.. Lets show 'em out support.!
    I really like the place, attending a chrisening there next week..

Love that upstairs front balcony.. not been on it yet.

GreystonesInn,
    Are you showing the golf tonight by chance at 8pm.

I'm assuming this is not late notice and you've nothing better to be doing but sitting by your laptop waiting to answer questions from boards :p

The secret is out all I do round here is wait for questions on boards. No problem on the golf later.

Cheers
    DM

The secret is out all I do round here is wait for questions on boards. No problem on the golf later.

Cheers
    DM
    lol...good man, catch you later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

I am concerned that pandering to a small number of board members will ultimately sound the death knell for GI. Nothing against boarders at all in this statement.

The Burnaby and Beach House have their well publicised issues and yet they remain in business and have done so without the net or good will from the boarders.

I would urge the owners of GI to set a definitive theme to the bar, regards music, age limits, sports on TV rather than the 'what does one boarder feel like drinking and watching tonight'.

A definitive pub with its own personality then ensures potential patrons can make a decision on it and know it will be the same every time they go in.

I wonder if 5 people came in and all wanted something different to drink and something different on TV, how long would the bar stay open?

Open, serve beer, close. It's a tried and trusted daily approach.

On this basis, I hope GI becomes as much a stable of Greystones as our other much loved bars. :)

• Advertisement

Afternoon All,

I wish it was as simple as "Open, Serve Beer and Close. Maybe it is if you have been around for 30/40 years but as a new pub, opened six weeks we have to develop a local customer base. We have very clearly on previous post set out what we are trying to create " a good local pub". I feel that if you have been following this thread you would be aware form previous posts of the following,

1) Theme - A good clean comfortable local pub with friendly staff
    2) Music - None (goes for pool tables, juke boxes, MTV etc)
    3)Age Limits - 18 with ID (no exceptions) who behave and show respect
    4)Sports - We have 2 Sky boxes so the majority has the vote.

Given the times were in I feel that pubs have to go back to basics and that starts and ends with service(a good product,value for money etc are in the middle)If a customers requests something we will try and accomadate them once it does not take away from what I am trying to achieve. I don't think that getting in a couple of different types of beer/glasses or showing the golf is too much trouble. I don't think the customer is always right but I will listen.

Cheers
    DM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Good response and approach. Like I said I hope you do become a staple of Greystones Pub Life.

Hi GreystonesInn,

I was there last night with two friends to watch some golf.
    Apart from watching the golf, it's always good to be in a nice atmosphere.

However, last night, we were the only three in the bar, and to be honest, it felt kind of depressing. For a Thursday night I was surprised with the lack of people. I think a quiz night, or some drinks promotion, something, to get a decent big crowd in one night is a must.

The way the tables are set out actually looks like a great setting for a speed dating night :-)

Hope things will pick up, the Guinness was better than other pubs in Greystones btw !!

Cheers

Afternoon All,

I wish it was as simple as "Open, Serve Beer and Close. Maybe it is if you have been around for 30/40 years but as a new pub, opened six weeks we have to develop a local customer base. We have very clearly on previous post set out what we are trying to create " a good local pub". I feel that if you have been following this thread you would be aware form previous posts of the following,

Given the times were in I feel that pubs have to go back to basics and that starts and ends with service(a good product,value for money etc are in the middle)If a customers requests something we will try and accomadate them once it does not take away from what I am trying to achieve. I don't think that getting in a couple of different types of beer/glasses or showing the golf is too much trouble. I don't think the customer is always right but I will listen.

Cheers
    DM

Sent you a private message Darren.

Afternoon All,

Cheers
    DM

And this is the reason why I hope this pub succeeds. The Greystones Inn are going out of their way to try and attract a regular clientelle (?) and despite my experience 1st time there I will go back because they deserve our support.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Cheers
    DM

Very sensible approach DM.

Have been down a few times and service has been fantastic. Very friendly staff willing to help. Very clean, warm and comfortable surroundings.

Will be back again.

Keep up the good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Astrofluff, Avantarklu and I are heading down with a couple of neighbours this evening, so be sure the Erdinger is nicely chilled!

Really looking forward to getting down, I haven't been out for pints in ages (not even over Christmas) and have been eager to give the Inn a try for myself.

Avantarklu hasn't been there since it was the Woodlands and he was then the oldest man on the dancefloor! The less said about "the incident" the better...

I think we're all basically on the same page regarding GI. I think all the pub now needs is customers; which is us and our friends! So we should spread the word. Naturally an empty pub is a little depressing but I think that over time, with the lovely venue that GI is, and our support it can become the pub we all want it to be.

Astrofluff, Avantarklu and I are heading down with a couple of neighbours this evening, so be sure the Erdinger is nicely chilled!

Really looking forward to getting down, I haven't been out for pints in ages (not even over Christmas) and have been eager to give the Inn a try for myself.

Avantarklu hasn't been there since it was the Woodlands and he was then the oldest man on the dancefloor! The less said about "the incident" the better...

Good on you for supporting chaps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

So, three of us took a pleasant stroll to GI last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The bar was quiet, Syl (I guess, judging by previous posts) and Darren were working behind the bar. Unlike a previous contributor, my Erdinger was cold and served with a proper Erdinger glass.

One of the things we discussed last night (we discussed a lot, and Darren is a saint for putting up with us) was that boards is only a scratch on the surface of the population of Greystones and we need to spread the word offline too.

Darren is clearly looking to create a place that punters want to come to and he's asking what punters want. When's the last time you were asked by any other publican about what it is you want to see in a pub. Go and see the place for yourself and tell Darren what you think, he'll listen, he'll tell you straight away if he can do what you suggest or not.

Perhaps now is the time to start organising that Greystones Board Beers we've been trying have for four years now!

Advertisement