Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones Inn

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Are you going to get poker going? I was involved with running the Wicklow Arms games and would be nice to be able to play locally instead! There is definitely enough poker players out there for it to be a success. Please do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 GreyStonesInn

CHD give Syl a shout about the poker and we will see what we can arrange (ph 2010858). No problem doing it once we can get enough people to make it a good night.

Cheers
    DM

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

Beach House Pint of Guinness €4.40 Glass of Guinness €2.65 .Total €7.05
    Beautifull creamy pint.
    Greystones Inn Pint of Guinness €4.35. Glass of Guinness €2.75. Total €7.10. Guinness tasted sour.:eek:

Called in this evening to the two pubs on our evening walk. will check out the Burnaby to-morrow evening .:P.
    Won't be going back to Greystones Inn. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Can you do a review for people who drink something other than Guinness?

I am still on the fence :)

No:D

• Advertisement

Well all I can say to the previous post is that the Guinness is fresh every week and the lines are clean (cleaned just recently) and we have had a lot of praise since we opened regarding the quality of our pint. In fact purely for research purposes Syl and I along with a couple of regulars have checked the pint from both Guinness taps tonight and found them to be perfect imo. :)

Cheers
    DM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

CHD give Syl a shout about the poker and we will see what we can arrange (ph 2010858). No problem doing it once we can get enough people to make it a good night.

Cheers
    DM
    Does Syl want to run it? I can get people in contact with you to run it who would have all the gear, this is your best option as buying the necessary gear yourselves would be quite expensive and unless it is a success you are left out of pocket and with poker gear useless to you. There isn't much profit in it but if the poker is a success it will put bums in seats and make you money!

This is where Script used to be? The game in the Wicklow Arms re-located there from Script. Used to average about 18 people (2 tables) and some weeks could hit up to 25. Was upstairs too which was ideal for it. If you are interested in bringing someone in to run it let me know here or fire me a PM and I can get people in contact with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭heviballs

fwiw i can guarantee at least 4 poker 'players' once it suits work wise

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

bido wrote: »
    Beach House Pint of Guinness €4.40 Glass of Guinness €2.65 .Total €7.05
    Beautifull creamy pint.
    Greystones Inn Pint of Guinness €4.35. Glass of Guinness €2.75. Total €7.10. Guinness tasted sour.:eek:

Called in this evening to the two pubs on our evening walk. will check out the Burnaby to-morrow evening .:P.
    Won't be going back to Greystones Inn. :mad:

Was it the 5c difference or was it that in your opinion the Guinness was "sour"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

I thought the Guinness was lovely.

And I'm right :P

• Advertisement

When we called in a while ago the Guinness was good ,it just tasted sour yesterday.
    and tasted fine in the Beach house yesterday thats just a honest opinion. Was'nt the 5c :D

Sounds like Sour Grapes Oats to me

I'ts the way you tell em:D

Burnaby, pint of Guinness €4.40 .glass of Guinness €2.75. Guinness is much better in the Beach House.
    Seating in the Burnaby dirty and ripped toilets were clean.

Just to let everyone know we will be showing all 6 Nations matches live from this weekend starting with Ireland v Italy ko 2.30pm Saturday 6th Feb. We will have our now regular half time nibbles for the Irish match.
    We are also going to run a raffle during the match for some 6 Nations spot prizes (jerseys,caps, scarfs etc) with all proceeds going to Concern Haiti appeal.

Look forward to seeing you.
    Cheers
    DM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

Just to let everyone know we will be showing all 6 Nations matches live from this weekend starting with Ireland v Italy ko 2.30pm Saturday 6th Feb. We will have our now regular half time nibbles for the Irish match.
    We are also going to run a raffle during the match for some 6 Nations spot prizes (jerseys,caps, scarfs etc) with all proceeds going to Concern Haiti appeal.

Cheers
    DM
    Hi, Wil you be showing the Liverpool match ? Clashes a little bit with the rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Joliegood wrote: »
    Hi, Wil you be showing the Liverpool match ? Clashes a little bit with the rugby.

Sorry no soap operas allowed. :)

Morning All,

As I said before we have 4 TV's and 2 Sky boxes so it really is the majority vote but I would imagine that we can show the match on one of the screens behind the bar without clashing to much. The overlap should only be a few minutes anyway.

Cheers
    DM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

bido wrote: »
    When we called in a while ago the Guinness was good ,it just tasted sour yesterday.
    and tasted fine in the Beach house yesterday thats just a honest opinion. Was'nt the 5c :D

The Guinness was too nice yesterday... shame about the match....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

The Guinness was too nice yesterday... shame about the match....:(

I thought we'd blown it with 5 mins to go. Wales were well unlucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Yes the pub appears to be run better, but unfortunatly no amount of money put into the place will ever buy an atmosphere for it

• Advertisement

Morning All,

Thanks to everyone over the weekend who supported our raffle it was a great success. All winners who were not present last night for the draw will be notified today.

Cheers
    DM

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

I wish you luck with your new pub but I will give you an example of the problem you have.

I was out at the weekend with friends from Bray and Greystones in Dublin. We were heading back to Greystones for a pint. I suggested the GI. They refused because we had given it a go with the last 2 sets of management and had rubbish nights. I tried the line of "let's support a new pub" but they were of the mind that we get out so infrequently why go to a pub with no atmosphere and where the last time we went there was a middle aged couple having a full on row - it was dreadful - (before you took over). Anyway we went to Danns at the weekend and had a great night.

You have to get people through the door. You are obviously trying but I think you need to think outside the box.

Marketing head on here but why not try a beer festival to get people in the door? I don't know if that is feasible but just a suggestion.

On a personal note I find the flags you have in the windows a real turn off. Don't ask me why - obviously a subjective thing - but flags on poles for sport look great, flags in windows reminds me off "rough pubs".

I wonder if again agrees with me about the flags. I can't quite put my finger on it. I am a big sports fan by the way.

I really wish you the very best...

Cheeky Chops, thats a good synopsis of the situation. Through no fault of the current owners they are being potential hampered in developing a business. Its a tough one and I would be hard pressed to think of a successful precedent in Greystones, i.e. bad business in one hands becoming a patronised business in anothers.

I guess if we could come up with the answer, we would all be running successful businesses.

I tend to agree about the flags. Having lived in England they do give me a abit of the Union Jack type of pub feeling.

Thinking about it.. maybe one avenue to explore is to seek local clubs who could potentially become the linchpin of the pub.

A bit like the Rowing Club and the BeachHouse.

I know the Kilcoole Badminton Club were in GI recently and feedback was the drinks were too expensive, compared to who I don't know.

I feel the GI owners frustrations and those of us who want another pub choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭heviballs

i know in the current climate cash flow is a bit of a prob for all company's so my suggestion may not be feasible

have you considered sponsering one of the local soccer clubs,buying their kit for the year at a cost of about €500 approx,
    then lay on the sambo's and maybe soup on Sunday after the match(won't cost much)
    and reep the rewards on the tap

Afternoon All

Just to let everyone know we will be starting our Poker Nights this Thursday 25th from 8.00pm at the GreyStones Inn. Also a big weekend coming up for sport with Wales v France on Friday ko 8.00pm and England v Ireland on Saturday ko 4.00pm (usual free half time nibbles for Irish game). Sunday is Carling cup final day Man Utd v Aston Villa.

Thanks
    DM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

how about you buy a shuttle bus and give people free lifts to and from the pub provided they drink 3 or four drinks (card stamp jobber!)

then maybe turn up the music, get some bigger screens and turn down the lights.

Was up there again for the france match and have to say really wasn't impressed. Still no atmosphere, and the only other people I could see were a few near the bar and one of the barmans family after the match.

Went up to the Burnaby after the match and it seemed to remain full most of the the night.

Afternoon All,

I don't think the local taxi drivers would like your idea given the fact they have to make a living too (unless they start selling Guinness out of the boot I will leave the transport to them). With regard to your other comments I don't think anything we could possibly do would impress someone like yourself (other than give out free drink in case you felt the need to mention it).
    As my Granny always said "if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all"

Cheers
    DM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

FFS...!!:mad: Matt must still think he's in Dublin...

I was there for the french match and i thought it was fine...

Screens are plenty big enough and the walk is rather pleasent...

GS Granny is spot on btw...:p

I wont be able to make poker tomorrow night but I was wondering if you had anymore details rearding the price on buy in and prizes..
    I hear the Wicklow arms is €35 to buy in which i though was a little steep..

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

aaaagh.... Greystones Inn, you're killing me.. Poker night starting on 25th and I get paid on the 26th....:( Make it the 26th and I'll happily give you my salary :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

Can you provide a bit more info on the poker night?

how much will it cost, is there dealers etc, if you want a turnout then people need to knw these details...

also posting it here isnt going to get you a crowd
    you should post details of it here... in the poker forum...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=630

a few flyers/posters around the place wouldnt go a miss either..

Advertisement