Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Chatwalk - Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Tights are the most unattractive item of clothing ever! I feel hideous when I wear them. Just... no. I have so many pairs that I could actually pull up to under my armpits, they're just so wrong! In saying that, I have about a zillion pairs, but they look ridiculous when you take off your dress and as for that whole, "Hang on a sec, gotta yank up my tights" thing... :/

Stockings are the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

OldGoat wrote: »
    Please, ladies, ditch the tights altogether. I know they are practicable and comfy and yadda yadda yadda but they are passionkillers for the majority of men.
    Stockings.
    You'll feel sexier, defiantly more sultry then sluty. It's akin to the difference between wearing undies and wearing lingerie.
    Not true of all men - some like to be tied up with the tights specifically! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

I need to find totally opaque stockings before Ill wear them. Cant stand that half see through look that makes you look like you have extra layers of cellulite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Not true of all men - some like to be tied up with the tights specifically! :P
    Thats why I said the 'majority' of men. :)

YKINMKBYKIOK :p

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

Please, ladies, ditch the tights altogether. I know they are practicable and comfy and yadda yadda yadda but they are passionkillers for the majority of men.
    Stockings.
    You'll feel sexier, defiantly more sultry then sluty. It's akin to the difference between wearing undies and wearing lingerie.
    Completely agree with old goat, Stockings are SO much nicer to wear, I despise
    tights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I've never managed to get around to trying stockings, I really must. I just don't trust hold up ones for some reason... Do they actually stay up? I really do hate that tights up around your boobs feeling.

Holdups - shmoldups, go for a proper surrender suspender belt instead.

Also saw a boardsie from the what are you wearing today thread in town on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

i love tights for their hold-you-in abilities, which is all well and good until the dress comes off. there has got to me nothing more unattractive than someone trying to remove their tights (with the possible exception of someone trying to put on tights), it must be the unsexiest thing ever. particularly when the tights are up around your boobs somewhere :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

OMIGOD buying this on Friday. Payday!
    BUNNEH ears!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

fonpokno wrote: »
    I've never managed to get around to trying stockings, I really must. I just don't trust hold up ones for some reason... Do they actually stay up? I really do hate that tights up around your boobs feeling.

Ya they do, I usually wear them rather than tights (which give me tummy ache sometimes) with a suspender belt, don't buy a cheapo one in pennies or somewhere like that though or they will fall down, buy a good expensive one and it wont fail you ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Twee. wrote: »
    OMIGOD buying this on Friday. Payday!
    BUNNEH ears!

You've just got to post a pic!!
    Not a mad lover of stockings myself because personally I hate the little puddingy bit of flesh between the top of the stocking and the knickers!! No no no!

Stray_Cat in the "What you wore today" thread is looking fabulous. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Stray_Cat

Thanks for the complement OldGoat it's been awhile since i've had one :D

Someone gave me carte blanche to spend what I like on some outfits for them to wear. Spending other peoples money on clothes is such a blast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

OldGoat (or anyone else) could you give me the name of a few places in the city centre to purchase pocket squares?

Does anyone here use chictopia to blog? I just started my blog and uploaded my first pics and I know they have to go up for review (where they are voted on my members) before they are accepted into the main style collection but I can't see mine in the new pics section??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Does anyone here use chictopia to blog? I just started my blog and uploaded my first pics and I know they have to go up for review (where they are voted on my members) before they are accepted into the main style collection but I can't see mine in the new pics section??

I did, once. I don't particularly like it though because its very 'trendy'. If your photos are whimsical enough and you're skinny and young and pretty you might get a few hypes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

@sapsorrow I love love love your outfit over in the what did you wear today thread :D

MediumWell wrote: »
    OldGoat (or anyone else) could you give me the name of a few places in the city centre to purchase pocket squares?
    I did see some in Arnotts a while ago. Some outfitters offer necktie and pockets square deals. Most outfitters will have white handkerchiefs available which are always a great fallback.
    I browbeat Mrs.Goat into making mine for me. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I did, once. I don't particularly like it though because its very 'trendy'. If your photos are whimsical enough and you're skinny and young and pretty you might get a few hypes.

Hmmm ya I just figured while I was uploading onto the blog etc I might as well stick em up, just can't find anywhere that tells you how to use it!
    akamossy wrote: »
    @sapsorrow I love love love your outfit over in the what did you wear today thread :D

Thanks a million! :)

I did see some in Arnotts a while ago. Some outfitters offer necktie and pockets square deals. Most outfitters will have white handkerchiefs available which are always a great fallback.

Thanks, I'm just going to head in wearing the shirt and suit I plan to combine it with so I can see how it fits overall.

Thanks, I'm just going to head in wearing the shirt and suit I plan to combine it with so I can see how it fits overall.
    Like most mens wardrobes it's best to buy a few neutral pieces first. Like the white shirt or the black shoes or the navy suit...get the basics first and then add the more indivudal bits. Get a few neutral colour pocket squares that will sit well with most suit/shirt/tie combinations. When you have the basics thenm you can go mental with dayglo check neckties, paisley braces and yellow/black polkadot squares. :D

Sapsparrow, I have a bag thats like the grown up version of yours (in the what did you wear thread). I stole it from Mrs.Goat to carry books and folders to college. It's about twice as deep as yours, perfect for carrying a dozen document wallets. Showed yours to Mrs.Goat last night and she told me to steal it from you at the first opportunity. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Or make your own

making pocket squares

Shopped till I dropped today! Very happy with purchases. There's some great bargains out there with the sales started.
    Lost my Gant sunglasses :( Yes they were actually menswear, but they were so lovely! Dang.

Got this lovely notebook by Lanvin in Brown Thomas, celebrating the house's 120th birthday! I think I'm gonna document my internship next year in it.

image_high_def_784341-510x639.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I am quoting Sapsorrow from the 'What did you wear today' topic.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66604622&postcount=26
    MOD EDIT: Picture quote removed. Comments welcome here and a link to the post perhaps but no need to re-post the pics. Pics in the picture thread folk.

I had a top exactly like that and it was from Morgan. My top was a cream/off white colour.

Beautiful outfit btw, looks fab on you!

Arnotts had a very poor choice, Best and Marks just had cotton squares. TM Lewin saved me in the end. I got a lovely pink with navy dots and outline pure silk hand-rolled square for 17E.

Not that you need all these accessories to look well at formal occasions but for guys in Dublin who want to make that extra little effort there's quite a poor selection of shops if you're looking for pocket squares, (non-tacky) cufflinks, tie clips etc.

The hunt for tiepins and cufflinks of one of my favorite things. Online or in antique shops/fairs carboot sales. A friend just got some for his birthday made from his favorite cigar bands (available in the Decent Cigar Store, Grafton St.).

Sapsparrow, I have a bag thats like the grown up version of yours (in the what did you wear thread). I stole it from Mrs.Goat to carry books and folders to college. It's about twice as deep as yours, perfect for carrying a dozen document wallets. Showed yours to Mrs.Goat last night and she told me to steal it from you at the first opportunity. :)

*Note to self don't bring favourite bag to boards beers!* :p

Yup I love my satchel so much, took about a decades worth of scouring charity shops to find my perfect one, only cost me 3 euro! Then I spent about 12 quid getting a leather smith to fix it up a bit for me and stick a buckle on. I have a big one my boyf bought me when I got accepted into college for books too, it's very heavy though even when it's empty and looks a bit new for my liking, I reckon in fifty or a hundred years it'll look great though! :D
    I am quoting Sapsorrow from the 'What did you wear today' topic.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66604622&postcount=26
    MOD EDIT: Picture quote removed. Comments welcome here and a link to the post perhaps but no need to re-post the pics. Pics in the picture thread folk.

I had a top exactly like that and it was from Morgan. My top was a cream/off white colour.

Beautiful outfit btw, looks fab on you!

Thanks! Ya mines cream too, has a little lacy ribbon at the front tying at the navel? Label was cut off when I bought it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

@ OldGoat Sorry for quoting the photos, I didn't realise it's not allowed/against the rules..
    Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Thanks! Ya mines cream too, has a little lacy ribbon at the front tying at the navel? Label was cut off when I bought it.
    That's exactly like mine. It's a beautiful top, looks fab on you!

That's exactly like mine. It's a beautiful top, looks fab on you!

Oh cool that's the mystery solved so! Ya my boyfriend thinks so too, he harasses the bejesus out of me whenever I wear it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Shopped till I dropped today! Very happy with purchases. There's some great bargains out there with the sales started.
    Lost my Gant sunglasses :( Yes they were actually menswear, but they were so lovely! Dang.

Got this lovely notebook by Lanvin in Brown Thomas, celebrating the house's 120th birthday! I think I'm gonna document my internship next year in it.

image_high_def_784341-510x639.jpg
    I dithered for ages over purchasing this this afternoon! It is gorgeous. I thought it would lovely next to my Salvatore Ferragamo journal on the bookcase! I bought a Mulberry key ring instead.

Must post that in the Latest Purchases thread :pac:

Aw I saw the keyrings, they were lovely. I think I may go back for another notebook, I've a birthday coming up, it would make a nice present!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Aw I saw the keyrings, they were lovely. I think I may go back for another notebook, I've a birthday coming up, it would make a nice present!
    Very much considering a notebook myself still! They're so pretty and would make a really fabulous present. They also have lovely leather bound notebooks in bright jewel tones the homewares dept on Level 3. They're reduced to about €5 and €10 iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

I got just a plain vest top from asos recently and I've only worn it once and it's already gone out of shape :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

akamossy wrote: »
    I got just a plain vest top from asos recently and I've only worn it once and it's already gone out of shape :(

I hate it when that happens :( I got two little vests from Topshop the white one lasted hardly any length until it went out of shape and went very grubby and the black one is still amazing starting to go out of shape just over a year after I buying them!

Anyone know where I can get a maxi dress in a nice deep purple for cheapish? (a non draggy on the ground one/flash the ankles one?)

Booked 6 days holiday in Berlin for August :D So excited! Anyone been shopping there before? Have been looking into markets and the likes. We'll probably hit the high street shops as well, as Zara/H&M tend to cheaper abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

as Zara/H&M tend to cheaper abroad.

I really noticed this in germany with H&M, the exact same things id seen in ireland were cheaper. and cause we're both euro its so much more obvious too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

I really don't get it? How can it be different prices if it's the same currency?

Tax and VAT maybe!

So annoying ...

UK VAT is going up to 20% in 2011, which will close a bit of a gap with Pound versus Euro prices... And also retailers can't use that excuse anymore to fob off answers about price difference!

I'm not sure why prices vary so much with in the Eurozone. Could have something to do with cost of living and minimum wage. Both of ours are extremely high. So what is cheap to us (eg H&M) wouldn't be in another country. Just a thought!

• Advertisement

They get a better selection too.

Ugh, finally got paid after three months of utter poverty and there is NOTHING in the sales!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Ugh, finally got paid after three months of utter poverty and there is NOTHING in the sales!

use the internet, where there's always a sale :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭silverspoon

Nothing in the sales, nothing in the non-sale-items...and the stock in the high street is so samey-samey that there's not much point in even going beyond the first shop you get into since every shop's range goes thusly: denim, double denim, all-in-one denim, dresses which are too short, maxi dresses made from t-shirt material, shorts that don't cover ass-cheeks, and fvcking meadows-worth of 'ditsy' flower print.
    It's a pity that flower-print is forever ruined for me, I used to really like it. Now everything in the shops look like they're made from bedclothes...sigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Booked 6 days holiday in Berlin for August :D So excited! Anyone been shopping there before? Have been looking into markets and the likes. We'll probably hit the high street shops as well, as Zara/H&M tend to cheaper abroad.

Been twice, f*cking love it!! I have a word file with a load of places I ate/shopped in if you send me your email I'll happily send it on! I always love shopping in german H&M!
    Nothing in the sales, nothing in the non-sale-items...and the stock in the high street is so samey-samey that there's not much point in even going beyond the first shop you get into since every shop's range goes thusly: denim, double denim, all-in-one denim, dresses which are too short, maxi dresses made from t-shirt material, shorts that don't cover ass-cheeks, and fvcking meadows-worth of 'ditsy' flower print.
    It's a pity that flower-print is forever ruined for me, I used to really like it. Now everything in the shops look like they're made from bedclothes...sigh.

I'm loathe to buy floral now... there's a load of cheap looking florals around too. I totally agree about the sales, I was v disappointed! Florals, acid wash denim, bad leggings, ripped denim, floral denim, crop top, hideous 'french' prints on stripy tops, not much in terms of classic/staple pieces to be found!

PM Sent ;)

I'm loathe to buy floral now... there's a load of cheap looking florals around too. I totally agree about the sales, I was v disappointed! Florals, acid wash denim, bad leggings, ripped denim, floral denim, crop top, hideous 'french' prints on stripy tops, not much in terms of classic/staple pieces to be found!

Cheap-looking florals are really what kills me, especially as florals always catch my eye in shops and since those hideous body-con dresses with the carpet-like floral patterns started appearing at the start of the year, it's all gone to rack and ruin...same with stripes as you say, emblazoned as they are with Eiffel towers and pseudo-Parisianness.

It's a pity that the high street shops are such sheep when it comes to trends; anything I happen to like gets ruined for me by the fact that everyone is in the same stuff, and if a cack trend catches on, there's no hope of avoiding it. I need inspiration!!!

EDIT: On a further note, I'm glad my first attempt at quoting worked!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

The sales really are disappointing this year, there's just nothing worth looking at. I wish the trends weren't so crappy...

Is anyone else finding that skirts and dresses are super short recently? Every dress I look at just about covers my backside and I'm not tall or anything. I can only go without tights up to a certain length, any shorter and I feel like a hooker. It's summer, I don't want to be wearing black tights!

DEFINITELY dresses and skirts are much shorter, and it's usually a cut of dress/skirt which doesn't suit being short - or at least so short. With tight dresses or that at least there's not the same junk-showing hazards. I'm 5'8'' and it really is a nightmare. I had thought maybe it was my height, but 5'8'' isn't even all that tall!
    Then, I'm not sure when I was last really impressed with the high street. As I get older I'm starting to notice quality and cut and such much more, whereas before I was a fool for a nice print or reams of cheap tat - ah, the standards to which student life will reduce one! I do think there's been a decline in the quality of the clothing, even in places one could usually rely on. There's nothing worse than buttons falling off before you've even worn an item once, or seams undoing...thankfully my mother is a seamstress!!! We should get back to the days of the tailor!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

I returned a dress by post during the week that I bought online- it looked a totally different colour so just wasnt right, very disappointed it looked lovely! They have not refunded my card yet, should I be worried or do ye reckon it may take longer than a week? Just wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I returned a dress by post during the week that I bought online- it looked a totally different colour so just wasnt right, very disappointed it looked lovely! They have not refunded my card yet, should I be worried or do ye reckon it may take longer than a week? Just wondering.

As far as I know, refunding money onto a credit/debit card does take a few days. That is to say, they'll refund it to your account but the money won't go through for 3 days or so. So if you sent it back a week ago and it took a day or two to reach them, then they refunded, it'll still take a couple days. I'd say leave it til Monday and then give them a call.

• Advertisement
Advertisement