Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Chatwalk - Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

ASOS final clearance... so difficult to resist... :(

I always find it difficult buying online with regard sizing. Also, the selection of stuff on ASOS(for guys) always seems bland to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I have an exam in Cork on Tuesday. SERIOUS shopping spree afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Anyone know anywhere in dublin (preferrably the northside or in town) that I could buy a beret?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Stephens Green shopping centre is the only place I can think off - Wrong side of town though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

There's a hat shop at the Dunnes end of Stephens Green Shopping Centre, on the ground floor. It's only tiny, but they should have berets.

Edit: Beaten to it ;)

Thanks! I don't mind where in town, I just meant northside as in shopping centres like liffey valley or blanchardstown. Is there a hat shop place in Stephens green?

Yep indeedy, it's a whole shop full of them :)

Actually, now that I think of it, that fabric/vintage tweedy shop by Georges Arcade might have them too. Harlequins? Is that it?

I'm awful with names.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Yep indeedy, it's a whole shop full of them :)

Actually, now that I think of it, that fabric/vintage tweedy shop by Georges Arcade might have them too. Harlequins? Is that it?

I'm awful with names.

Oh yeah! I forgot about that place! Might be a little expensive though, I'm just looking for something cheap. It's my going away party so I'm having it french themed. Strings of garlic, baguettes, croisantes, red wine, berets, Air playing in the background etc :P

Ring'em and see! :)

01 6710202 from Google

• Advertisement

Actually, I've to head in to Georges Arcade in a wee bit. Could check for you if you're not able to get in today.

Actually, I've to head in to Georges Arcade in a wee bit. Could check for you if you're not able to get in today.

Oh that's really nice of you, but I would't want to put you out! Don't worry about it, seriously! I really appreciate the offer though! I'll be heading in to town tomorrow anyway!!

Ah I was passing by anyways. Lady in there said they'd none in at the moment, it was the 'wrong time of year' for them... Stephens Green it is. I saw a beret shaped object when I was dashing out of the food hall in M&S too, if that's any good to you :)

Ah I was passing by anyways. Lady in there said they'd none in at the moment, it was the 'wrong time of year' for them... Stephens Green it is. I saw a beret shaped object when I was dashing out of the food hall in M&S too, if that's any good to you :)

You are a godsend! Thank you SO much! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Faj da man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

That was so nice of you! What a gent :)

Michellenman, they have some of the new season hats in M&S. I didn't notice berets amongst them, but I have one so I wouldn't be looking out. I got mine in Accessorize a few years back, but it was about €26 so you may not want to spend that much. Penney's often have them but I don't know if they have any winter stock in yet.

Thanks everyone! I'm heading to the gym in the morning and then going to go in to town after so I'll have a wander in and around the shops mentioned and hopefully I'll come up with something decent :)

I got one! Picked one up in the hat shop in Stephens Green shopping centre today :) They've a wonderful selection of colours and patterns actually :)

Only that's bothering me is that is was obviously packed flat so the little sticky up thing in the centre of it is flattened, I might try iron it up or something.

I LOVE the colour though :)

2010-08-1916-31-40338.jpg

Ooh it's gorgeous! Can I ask how much it was? Can never have too many hats... ;)

• Advertisement

€15! Wonderfully made and the material is lovely quality!

That's right, never have too many hats!

Well priced! I might have to pop in and have a looky on payday.

Glad ye got sorted out!

Double breasted suits, yay or nay?

M'lady's not too keen. I am... :pac:

[url=http://www.fashionising.com/trends/b--Mens-suits-tailored-trends-in-2009-and-2010-1467.html[/url]
    DukeofWindsorsuit.jpg
    [/url]

life_0915_p084_f1_large.jpg

frenchman-in-a-formal-pin-striped-suit-with-a-double-breasted-jacket-with-long-lapels-giclee-pri-19082557.jpeg

I really don't need another suit at the moment... But they *do* have a lovely shape...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I got one! Picked one up in the hat shop in Stephens Green shopping centre today :) They've a wonderful selection of colours and patterns actually :)

Only that's bothering me is that is was obviously packed flat so the little sticky up thing in the centre of it is flattened, I might try iron it up or something.

I LOVE the colour though :)

2010-08-1916-31-40338.jpg

I LOVE it. I have got to go and buy myself one now!

€15! Wonderfully made and the material is lovely quality!

That's right, never have too many hats!
    Your hat is sooo cute! I already have my next hat on my wish list :D No such thing as too many!

Faj, that's funny: I was actually debating a double-breasted blazer for myself today! I decided I need a second opinion before I could buy.
    I like them, I must say. They remind me of Bertie Wooster:
    Jeeves-n-wooster.jpg

Actually, is the one you're thinking of the one in the second photo you posted? If so, that looks like a really nice suit!

• Advertisement

Ah no, I don't have anything picked out yet, it was just one of the nicer examples I'd picked out - I'm not sure if I'd go for another grey, but I'd try avoid the pinstripe if I could. I prefer my patterns on shirt and/or tie.

Then the debate goes on to how many buttons... :pac:

What blazer were you looking at Hermi?

Well, you'd get more matching possibilities out of a plainer suit so that would make sense. It's nice to plan the big purchases well; it builds the anticipation of the actual purchase!

This is very like the blazer:
    http://www.oasis-stores.com/Double-Brested-Boyfriend-Jacket/Jackets/oasis/fcp-product/3430055001
    The one I was looking at was wool-blend though. I'm in two minds about it :confused:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I love double breasted jackets.
    Faj, if you already have a few singles then go for the double. Avoid shiney materials and steer well clear of 1over4 and 2over4 buttons - way too cheesy Italian 1970/1980 mafioso. Get a classic english cut of 2over6.
    Watch the width of the lapels. As most doublebrested lapels are peaked they can look huge when you first wear them. Remember to match your tie to the lapel.

Go on, go for a check, you know you want to!

Not so fond of the pattern you are showing. It's very tapered, very hollywood. For a man of your stature (even with your new sveltness) the shoulders would be a mile across. The Bertie Wooster pic is perfect for what you want.

Hermonie, love that jacket. It's very 'riding crop and leather boots'. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

I think I'd stay away from all patterns, I just wanted to grab some examples to show off the style :) I'd be very much Sartorial/UK stylings over American/European stylings anyways. Never been a huge fan of yank suits tbh.

Agreed with the 2/6 - The 2/4 can look great, but I doubt I could pull it off.

Bah, more to ponder over :D

OldGoat wrote: »
    Hermonie, love that jacket. It's very 'riding crop and leather boots'. :)
    Ooh, and I have the boots already :pac:

Thanks OG. Going back to look at it again this weekend, I think ... and possibly to make a purchase!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

C'mon Asos, I paid extra for express delivery and ye said my dresses would be here today. Angry email on its way!

OK, not a full blown F&A Night out, lets save that for a weekend when we can all attend. But for anyone who can make it in then this Thursday is the Beauty Spot, a chance to meet up, have a drinkey and see fashionable stuff or whatever. I'll b there though not staying to the end. :o
    The Beauty Spot - Look Good With The Beauty Spot!
    Thursday at 8:00pm till 2'ish

Dakota Bar
    South William Street
    Dublin

Some info: We're writing this on a rainy Monday morning but all we can think about is another Thursday night at The Beauty Spot.
    We've packed in so many amazing pop up shops (think beauty products, vintage clothing and jewellery among other delights), had make up artists handing out top beauty tips and of course some lovely E5 cocktails.
    We're doing it all again this week so whether you want some amazing vintage threads for a great price or ...just want to get your face fixed up while enjoying a drink with the girls then make your way to The Beauty Spot.
    It's free in all night, kicking off from 7pm with DJ until late. See you there!

I mentioned a Grown Up Debs a while ago. It's still going ahead and you can get tickets (€50) from Dominique on Thursday night. If a number of people from here are interested in going then Dom will arrange to book us by table so we can all stay together. I'll post more information on the event (time, date, location, charity involved etc., tomorrow)

I reckon myself and herself are in for the debs, would be good to get a few others in for a table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

A grown up debs sounds fun. I get to go to a real debs next week. :eek:

Grown Up debs flyer attached:

The greatest thing about events in the Sugar Club & Hilton, is they're only a 5 minute walk home for me :D

All back to Mr. Gloaty McGloatgloat's for afters so. :D

The grown-up debs looks great. Is it an annual thing? I'm going to have to stick with feeling old amongst my students from last year for now.

This is the first year it's been run. A few of us were looking for a reason to dress up in tux's and gown and the conversation turned to Debs dances. As a few of the group are Jonny Forigners they had no idea what we were talking about so we decided to have a grown up debs. The idea just grew and a charity was nominated for any profits made.

We could have just all gone out to dinner somewhere posh but oh no, why make life easy on ourselves? :o

JellyBabe, remember to bring your camera to your Debs. Just think of all the Blackmail photos you'll capture.

• Advertisement

It's a brilliant idea. Do it again next year and I'll definitely go. :)

Unfortunately as the students have all moved on and also because young people have no shame the blackmail thing probably wont work. :(

They'll be back as parents soon enough. It's never too early to gather blackmail material. The teens of today are the Board of Management of tomorrow.

They'll be back as parents soon enough. It's never too early to gather blackmail material. The teens of today are the Board of Management of tomorrow.

That is the scariest thing I've read in a long long time. :eek:

I've begun the search for my 21st birthday dress! I have a few picked out on ModCloth that I like, but can anyone recommend any other sites for nice dresses? Nothing to "Lipsy" style, if you know what I mean, not really "me". I prefer plainer clothes :) Thanks in advance you wonderfully fashioned folk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Twee. wrote: »
    I've begun the search for my 21st birthday dress! I have a few picked out on ModCloth that I like, but can anyone recommend any other sites for nice dresses? Nothing to "Lipsy" style, if you know what I mean, not really "me". I prefer plainer clothes :) Thanks in advance you wonderfully fashioned folk!

Nasty Gal Vintage maybe?

OMIGOD
    WANT

Want
    HighHeelCycleA.jpg

Want
    HighHeelCycleA.jpg

I can imagine you in this :cool: zooming around.

Pffft, I was talking about the straw porkpie "Sam Sneed" hat that the girl sitting on the kerb is wearing. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

And that was the ONLY pic of it you could find? One with a very eye catching shoe car?!

Advertisement